Lexi_1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushrooms, Rude people, Snakes
Hi Everyone
So I think I've made a short-list for the pumps I like which are accessible (As I'm Visually Impaired)
Can anyone tell me anything about either of these pumps? Do they provide them on the NHS? What the interactivity like with the handsets?
Are the comfortable tow wear and do they stay stuck on?

Anything experiences would be great
Thanks
Lexi

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm a Omnipod user.

Yes they are available on the NHS but it may not be option at your hospital so do check. The connection between the PDM and Pod is very good and you only need to be close to the PDM when your bolusing or setting a TBR, if your out of range the alarm on the PDM sounds and a message comes up on the screen to say it can't connect, but once your basal rates are set the Pod will deliver the basal without connecting to the PDM so you don't always need to have it close-by.

The Pods are extremely comfortable to wear and its easy to forget your wearing it, I've been using the pump for the last 6 months and not had a Pod come unstuck, if anything they take some removing when you do a Pod change as the adhesive fixes like clue to the skin.

Overall I love the pump and not had too many issues, the ones I did have were at the start of using the pump and much of it was done to user error (by my own admission).

I must add that this is my first insulin pump and I have no experience of using other pumps like the Cellnovo.

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
I use cellnovo and love it. Omnipod was my original choice (I didn't know about cellnovo) but my hospital doesn't support the omnipod hence ended up with Cellnovo.

Main advantage I see over the omnipod is the ability to disconnect/reconnect the pump. Otherwise they appear to be very similar to me. The handset is very nice, slim and light.

Omnipod has been around longer, has more users and support than the cellnovo which is a relatively new product and work in progress..

Pumps don't come easily unstuck but can be ripped off if you catch it on something (held on its Velcro) - good skin prep and placement are key! I always apply new pumps after shower and spraying area with unscented anti perspirant - works amazingly well.

I have had some, technical issues with the Cellnovo (which you can of course have with any pump) but I couldn't ever imagine using a tubed/ tethered system.

Like noblehead, I am new to pumping insulin (nearly a year) and cellnovo is my first pump - my bg control has never been so good! Hba1c 6.5 and keeps dropping every time. Less hypos and hypers too.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used the cellnovo and found it very unsatisfactory.

Several technical failures which did not help, but you also need to consider your insulin needs.

The cellnovo has a 300U reservoir with a hard coded requirement to change it every 3 days, with a sensor n the reservoir itself. Regardless of where you are or what you are doing, the pump simply stops. In my case, due to very low insulin needs, this also resulted in a lot of wastage as you need to fill to 300U every time.

In the end for me it was the reliability issues though as I couldn't accept the risk of failure when I'm somewhere overseas not within easy reach of tech help.

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Cellnovo is only 150iu ish @ElyDave (1.5-1.7ml)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lexi_1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for all your responses. thoughts using the cellnovo where abouts in the UK do you live? Trying to get a feel if the hospital in Kent will supply one.

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Thank you for all your responses. thoughts using the cellnovo where abouts in the UK do you live? Trying to get a feel if the hospital in Kent will supply one.
North East

A lot of hospitals temporarily stopped supplying the Cellnovo as they have had lots of teething issues and a recall.

Even the hospital I'm at wont supply any new users! But then again the hospital I use only supports 2 pumps (one is insight).

It's a bit of a postcode lottery unfortunately.

Lexi_1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks, Yea I have head that a lot with a lot of medical things. Postcode lottery, which it really shouldn't be.
Thanks Again