How do you put a set in your bottom (metal canula)?

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Tips please! I tried putting a metal one in and it went perfectly, was incredibly comfortable but wasn't lying quite flat, which meant that after 30 hours, despite surgical tape, it came out leading to horrible high yesterday morning. I then tried to persuade my poor husband to do it for me but that wasn't a success.

I tried with a quick set a while ago and don't know what I did but managed to shoot it in so the canula went into an L inside me which was both painful and gave poor delivery.

How do you manage to get it completely flat when you're contorting your arm round your back?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
hold cannula on chair and sit on it! :eek: :p No idea basically sorry.

Reactions: 5 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends what sets you're using. I use Rapid D with the steel needle. I insert the set myself. I twist round slowly, pinch up the skin at the top of my bum and push the needle in. The only problem I've had is when I've put a set too low or too high. For me, there's a band round my knicker line that works. Other areas don't.

I used to use Tenderlinks which have a plastic cannula and go in at an angle.nagain, I put them in myself. I found these slightly tricker as I had to put the introducer needle straight across ie parallel to to the floor. I also found the Teflon cannula bent sometimes.

I've never had a needle one come out. Do you put yours in a similar place to me?

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Hi

It does take time to get used to inserting sets so be patient. If inserting in the back side, try to use a mirror behind you as well as in front and then you'll be able to see what you are doing. If you havent got a mirror, try getting OH to help you pull the introducer out at the correct angle.....look on youtube to see how its done or go to the Unomedical website and look there.

Steel needle sets should be ok to insert in backside as long as they are inserted at a 90 degree angle and a piece of clear medical tape put over the top of the set to prevent it from coming loose due to pulling knickers up and down using the loo. Might pay to wipe the skin first with an alcohol wipe to get rid of moisturizer soap residue from washing and then that should enable the set to stick better. Ive had a few sets come out or come slightly loose when using backside so always take precaution now

When inserting the 30 degree angle sets, numb the skin off for a few mins with an ice pack from the freezer and then the introducer wont be felt as it is pushed in.

If there is a bad problem with sets that is difficult to address, it might be possible for Animas to supply a cartridge adaptor for Medtronic cartridges and that will widen your choice to be able to use luer connecting tubes and sets from Animas and Accuchek. The only problem will be for the bill payers settling accounts with 2 companies. Ask at your hospital if it might be possible.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks that's really helpful

@iHs do you find if you put tape over the middle of the set it presses the needle in too much? When I've tried doing that on my leg that's what has happened. The numbing idea is a good one for the 30 degrees as they're a bit ferocious going in. I've only used them on my stomach and thigh and haven't dared try it backwards.

@azure maybe that's the problem I had yesterday whenever my husband tried to put it in. I think I chose a higher place the first time which was very comfy.

iHs

When inserting sets in backside, try to use an area that's not going to be in direct contact with a bed mattress when lying on your back. Another thing that might help provide a bit more cushion underneath you, is get hold of a double duvet and fold it in half and have it on top of the mattress on your side. That way, you shouldn't feel the set digging in you with any luck especially if its steel needle because of the lovely soft springy effect of the duvet.
Do use some tape over steel needle sets as you dont want one coming half out when lying on your side and then rolling over and being woken up by the steel needle going back in at a crooked angle.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure what sets you're usingnso this might not be relevant, but with my Rapid Ds there's a connecting 'tail' that hangs down and I make a small loop of this under the needle and put some tape over the bend of the loop. That way, if I accidentky pull the tubing of my set the taped down tail pulls first and never the actual needle.

I don't put tape over the needle, but the adhesive on my sets is super-strong : D I use 6mm needles.

When I first started using my bum, I thought I could put the set anywhere but soon found it was more lower back/upper bum that worked. For me, I can feel when I get the right strip of skin as it feels slightly different and is easier to pinch up.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks - it was quite comfy to sleep with but came out during my sleep. The problem with the medtronic metal canula is the adhesive is rubbish. It's weird as its fine on the other versions I've used.

@azure it is similar to what you describe. An interlinking bit that you plug the tube into and detach from so if you have yanking it doesn't affect the needle.

I'll have another go when I do my next set change tomorrow evening and hopefully it will work.....

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
I use orbit cannulas, these have an applicator which makes awkward sites easy to use. Perhaps an applicator would help you?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Applenerd81 do you use the teflon orbits and the inserter? Have you ever used the Animas inset and if so how do you find them compared to those? I have considered trying Orbits with my vibe but not sure how easy they are to insert. Mylife claim they are less painful etc.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
There's no applicator for the sure-ts. I tried with an applicator and a quick set and it was a disaster.

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
@Applenerd81 do you use the teflon orbits and the inserter? Have you ever used the Animas inset and if so how do you find them compared to those? I have considered trying Orbits with my vibe but not sure how easy they are to insert. Mylife claim they are less painful etc.
I use 5.5mm steel ones with Cellnovo pump, Teflon would nearly always hurt (straight away or within hours) and I would get "pump bumps" with them.
I find them Ok, very easy to apply, steel are as near painless as you can get. Not used any others to date so my experience is only limited to Orbit.

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Have recently switched back over to teflon - turns out my stomach didn't agree with them however they are fine on my legs/hips etc. Much more comfortable that steel, especially with activity / lower body fat.