blood glucose meters

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
It depends if you value accuracy more than saving money, I think. Accucheck and it's test strips are on the highly accurate side but expensive. SD Codefree has the cheapest strips, but is reportedly not as accurate. I think it's ok for T2s but not sure if a T1 would like it.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
SD Codefree has the cheapest strips, but is reportedly not as accurate. I think it's ok for T2s but not sure if a T1 would like it.

If you understand its inaccuracy problem and "aim off" then it is a much cheaper meter to support. The only danger of having a meter that reads high without you realising it is that theoretically you could go hypo and the meter said you hadn't.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Bernstein regularly tests meters and updates his recommendations to patients based on their accuracy. The ones he currently recommends are the Abbot Freestyle and Freestyle Lite - don't know whether they're called the same in the UK?

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Bernstein regularly tests meters and updates his recommendations to patients based on their accuracy. The ones he currently recommends are the Abbot Freestyle and Freestyle Lite - don't know whether they're called the same in the UK?
They are called that in the UK and I am in august company then since I found the Freestyle Lite very accurate.

robert7259

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

ACCU-CHEK Aviva is going to give me a free meter tks for all your help I will beat this type 2 Diabetes with Gods help he is on my side.

ACCU-CHEK Aviva meter

Everyday easy

• Uses larger ACCU-CHEK Aviva Plus test strips with advanced accuracy
  • Designed to fit comfortably in your hand
  • No coding
  • Easy-to-read display
  • Includes the ACCU-CHEK Softclix lancing device
ACCU-CHEK Aviva meter

Everyday easy

• No coding
  • Easy-to-read display

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!

ACCU-CHEK Aviva is going to give me a free meter tks for all your help I will beat this type 2 Diabetes with Gods help he is on my side.

ACCU-CHEK Aviva meter
Everyday easy

• No coding
    • Easy-to-read display
ACCU-CHEK Aviva meter
Everyday easy

• No coding
  • Easy-to-read display

Hi @robert7259. You shouldn't need to purchase a meter OR test strips (which are expensive.) I see from your profile information that you're prescribed Gliclazide. It's usual for your GP or DSN to prescribe you a meter, test strips, lances etc when taking this drug. If you haven't been given a meter, give your HCP a call as you definitely should have one due to the risk of Hypo's when on Gliclazide. You should be testing regularly, & especially if you're driving. You are also entitled to ALL of your prescriptions free now, whether they are for Diabetes or not. Your GP surgery should sort the paperwork out for you (officially stamped authorised form.) I'd make sure that's been done for you too. Good luck.