High fiber V low carb V Cholesterol.

Montyshrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
White bread
OK so after today seeing that cutting my Carbs could help my Type 2 i am struggling to find foods that are high in fiber but low in carbs. This particularly difficult for quick non-cook Breakfasts.
I am also worried that some foods have a high cholesterol content and I have been told to cut this down too yet finding something that matches all three including low sugar content is difficult.
Are bananas good or bad?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can quite easily make a granola style mix of Chopped nuts, seeds, and flaxseed, and eat with full fat Yoghurt.

Tasty, full of fibre, full of essential and important nutrients and possibly lower your cholesterol as well.

You could add some Coconut Oil or Butter and bake in a cool oven for a bit, or just eat it raw.

Bananas will likely be a poor choice, if you want to sweeten it a little chuck in a handful of blueberries or raspberries.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are not going to find a low carb breakfast cereal in a shop. The whole idea of breakfast cereal is itself not very low carb, though there are creative alternatives you can make yourself as noted above.

Do not worry about "high cholesterol" in food (whatever that is?). Cholesterol in food does not affect your blood cholesterol unless you have a very rare genetic mutation. Cholesterol in your stomach is all broken down into its components. Your body then synthesises whatever cholesterol it needs, in the liver. What raises your cholesterol is eating too many calories and particularly too many carbs.

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Fibre is not any more necessary than carbohydrate is.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As has been said in another thread don't worry about cholesterol. Veg is excellent for fibre. Bananas are no-no for diabetics; why? Because they are a hunk of carb and high-GI as well.

Montyshrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
White bread
Too much fibre can cause intestinal issues.

To little can cause Brown Pants. I need to eat Fibre I don't need to eat too much, it's just Brown Carbs are the most Fibrous products and I want to know about alternatives.

Montyshrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
White bread
Hi. As has been said in another thread don't worry about cholesterol. Veg is excellent for fibre. Bananas are no-no for diabetics; why? Because they are a hunk of carb and high-GI as well.

Isn't Cholesterol bad for Hearts and Vessels? If I ate only fats then I'm risking them which are in danger due to Diabetes. And the Calorie intake from them is massive.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
soluble fibre try konjac noodles - all fibre no carb or calorie. Do the rest low carb

Montyshrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
White bread
Whens the best time to take Metformin?
I currently take 1 at Breakfast and one at either 6pm after dinner or at 9-10 pm.
I have no idea what it's supposed to do and do not feel any different after it.
I take Forxiga once in the morning all I've heard about this is you Pee stuff out , I did pee more when I first took it and if I have a ''bad day''. What else does it do?
I haven't been told my Blood Glucose level or being given anything to monitor it so wouldn't know what it should be if I did monitor it. Should I see the Diabetes nurse about it first?
What levels are good? What should they be?

I feel better due to changing my diet and removing junk food and sugar and exercising. I have eliminated ''White Carbs prior to but
I have only today reduced my Brown carbs (as I only heard this yesterday)i'm not eliminating it and i'm skeptical about replacing it completely with saturated fats I don't have any worries of replacing them with ''Good'' fats from Fish and some Oils. I will not reverse my decision on reducing my added salt intake as there is plenty in food naturally.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you reduce carbs you will need to increase salt. Or if you prefer, don't increase salt, get headaches all the time, get sick, abandon the diet and claim it doesn't work... :-/

Montyshrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
White bread
If you reduce carbs you will need to increase salt. Or if you prefer, don't increase salt, get headaches all the time, get sick, abandon the diet and claim it doesn't work... :-/

My salt intake is healthy why fight Diabetes and risk a stroke instead?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
To little can cause Brown Pants. I need to eat Fibre I don't need to eat too much, it's just Brown Carbs are the most Fibrous products and I want to know about alternatives.
I am not sure where your going with this ... Too much fibre can cause diarrhoea.. So can bananas and citrus fruit ! So are you getting diarrhoea then cutting down on these will be good. If you thinking of trying the Low Carb High Fat way of eating, then you have to understand how it works .. You will dramatically reduce your carbs ..about 30 to 50g a day, so next to no below ground vegetables ..like potatoes .. Also Cut out rice, pasta, oats, most fruit ... Carbs turn to sugar when you eat them ... So that's the sugars removed from your eating plan ... Now without all that sugar you need another source of enegery .. This comes from fats ... Coconut oil, olive oil, nuts and if your not vegetarian or vegan .. Animal fats. As your body will get its energy from the fats. Therefor your body has no need to store fat if it's getting it regularly..
The heart foundation is slowly changing its advice about eating fats .. And eating a fat diet you should not 'clog' your arteries.. Quite the reverse .. As personally my cholesterol has reduced since eating high fat .. I am a veggie so get lots of natural fibre from my vegetables.
To be honest I think you should have tests to find out what's causing your tummy problems ... You could have an intolerance to one of the regular foods you are eating
Hope this helps

Edit to add .. Spikers advice to take more salt is correct if you are going to do the LCHF way of eating ...

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My salt intake is healthy why fight Diabetes and risk a stroke instead?
Because everything we've been told about salt is a myth, just like everything we've been told about fats and cholesterol and red meat and God knows what else.

Montyshrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
White bread
Because everything we've been told about salt is a myth, just like everything we've been told about fats and cholesterol and red meat and God knows what else.

And Sugar, white carbs hey!!
Salt is plentiful in a diet of Fish and Meat why bother adding stupid mounts just because I've had to drop other bad stuff. I'm not getting in an argument with you over Salt it's irrelevant I am taking enough. My Leg cramps were my muscle getting used to tougher exercise it was more stiffness than cramps which is common after exercise you're not used to. I have not had any cramp's since removing added salt from my diet. I feel better am do not feel thirsty afterwards.

As to the Poster about my Tummy that is my Bowel I need fibre so I guess Veg is the answer.

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Ummm bit silly to insist on, say more salt, when one woman's 'little' is the next man's huge ;)

Call your surgery and as for a copy of your results. Your entitled, I was able to download patient access app and join online. So now have all my test results since 2007. Really handy to match results with life events....

As for changes in diet have a look around, most of us end up reducing carbs a lot, either in each meal or overall amount throughout the day.
Biggest impact is obtaining a blood glucose meter. Your GP diabetic nurse might be on board with it, but the company line now is unless your on insulin or another blood glucose drug beginning with g, they don't provide it for Type2's as you may scare the bee gees out of yourself. Obviously I'm paraphrasing.

So, like myself, a lot of people buy there own. My only suggestion is look at the test strip price cause ot can get expensive.
I test, fasting. Before food and 2hrs after. Sometimes when testing a new food I'll test every 30mins after the 2hr to see how long raised bloods last for. Now its been a few months testing for me, this has reduced. I also test at bedtime.

It is by testing that some people discover they can eat say porridge for breakfast without a blood spike or like me have to view oats like the devils work itself a mars bar. Dispite the company line to eat 'slow acting carbs like oats' ...everybody's body is different.

I eat so much veg, it is amazing how much we get through. Fiber is not a problem. I also eat moderate protein, under 55g per day. Then to stop the hunger I step up my fats....butter/coconut oil/olive oil... to 70%+ of my total calories for the day, my doc would have a coronary. I would really urge you to look at the research for eating cholesterol and raised blood cholesterol. There isn't that much. Our own SouthportGP forum member has conducted some small trials in Low Carb Full fat eating and had positive results in lowering liver profiles. Even looked for evidence either way... I will cut in paste after with a thread....on phone app.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/83420/

Hopefully that works, you might have to cut n past into google....

But overall welcome to your unique journey. Ask away and just know people are very passionate on here about controlling their condition to avoid the complications that are synonymous with the big D; many different approaches.

GC

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't Cholesterol bad for Hearts and Vessels? If I ate only fats then I'm risking them which are in danger due to Diabetes. And the Calorie intake from them is massive.
On the contrary cholesterol is necessary for a healthy heart. It's cholesterol that is too low that's the bigger problem.

Have a look at my thread re fats/calorie intake and weight loss. Not all calories are equal.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-5-day-dairy-fat-fast.81433/

Interestingly for the last 4 days I have been ill with a chest infection and unable to keep my food down. I have put on half a pound with very few calories, but they were mainly carbs. As a diabetic I simply cannot tolerate carbs. My slim son lost 7 pounds with the same illness over the same length of time.

Montyshrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
White bread
On the contrary cholesterol is necessary for a healthy heart. It's cholesterol that is too low that's the bigger problem.

Have a look at my thread re fats/calorie intake and weight loss. Not all calories are equal.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-5-day-dairy-fat-fast.81433/

Interestingly for the last 4 days I have been ill with a chest infection and unable to keep my food down. I have put on half a pound with very few calories, but they were mainly carbs. As a diabetic I simply cannot tolerate carbs. My slim son lost 7 pounds with the same illness over the same length of time.

But my Cholesterol Blood test showed it was too high the Nurse seemed more concerned with this than my Blood Glucose test which remained the same as my initial one.
I get you need Cholesterol but can you have too much of it, and are eating Salted Peanuts and Cheese causing it to rise?
Just like pre-diabetes we needed Sugar but not piles of it.