How long between IC changes? Maximum time?

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Just wondering how long your pumps allow you to go before you need to change your insulin cartridge?

I'm on Cellnovo (a patch pump) and there is a fixed 3 day limit on the cartridges. I am wondering if there is any reason for this as an insulin pen used to last me 7-14 days no problem. Without restriction a cartridge of approx 150iu would last me potentially over a week - which would make managing IC changes much more convenient (same day and time each week for example). I have recently figured a way to circumvent this block and could potentially use an IC till it is all used up.

Do all pumps have a similar limit? If not what is a safe duration?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Applenerd81 , on tubed pumps you have to change your infusion set every 3 days so the patch pumps are no different as they have to be removed to prevent infections and site issues.

The Omnipod has a minimum fill of 85u and a max fill of 200, over a 3 day period I use around 100 units, don't know if its the same using the Cellnovo but you have a 8 hour grace period iwith the Omnipod which is a handy feature and gives you some flexibility when to change the pods over.

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Thanks noblehead, I thought some pumps can go until reservoir is emptied?
You get 12hr warning with Cellnovo, then when times up the pump stops - no grace!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Cartridges hold varying amounts max mine holds is 200u and that lasts me about 8 days at the moment. I just change that when empty. Cannula change is every 3 days.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My old pump used normal glass insulin cartridges like you'd put in a pen. They would last approx 12 days before I needed to change them (because they had run out).

But now I'm on one of the newer pumps with the plastic reservoir,I'm change insulin every 6 days (was told 3 to 6 days) as apparently the insulin degrades in plastic. That's the reason I was given. And can I just add I absolutely hate filling reservoirs! Oh, to be able to just drop a normal pen cartridge in like I used to and be done with it!

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Cartridges hold varying amounts max mine holds is 200u and that lasts me about 8 days at the moment. I just change that when empty. Cannula change is every 3 days.
That's great, what pump do you have and what insulin cartridge does it use (prefil/self fill?)

I wonder why some pumps are restricted to only 3 days?

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
My old pump used normal glass insulin cartridges like you'd put in a pen. They would last approx 12 days before I needed to change them (because they had run out).

But now I'm on one of the newer pumps with the plastic reservoir,I'm change insulin every 6 days (was told 3 to 6 days) as apparently the insulin degrades in plastic. That's the reason I was given. And can I just add I absolutely hate filling reservoirs! Oh, to be able to just drop a normal pen cartridge in and be done with it!
I would be delighted with 6 days, I agree filling reservoirs is indeed a pain!

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks noblehead, I thought some pumps can go until reservoir is emptied?
You get 12hr warning with Cellnovo, then when times up the pump stops - no grace!

With the Omnipod Pump (appreciate the Cellnovo is a different design) the cannula is built into the Pod so this is why the pod needs to be changed every 3 days as you would with a infusion set, not had to push the 8 hour grace period so uncertain if the Pod just stops working although I suspect it does.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
That's great, what pump do you have and what insulin cartridge does it use (prefil/self fill?)

I wonder why some pumps are restricted to only 3 days?
I have the animas vibe basically if you so wish with any of the tubed pumps you can run it until the cartridge is dry. Manufactures do not recommend this and DSN's say six day max as a rule. Obviously manufactures want us to use as many cartridges as possible :) Mine are self fill cartridges.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine's a Vibe too. I may copy you then, @CarbsRok : D

Interestingly, my team said the reason no other pumps, apart from my old one, use ordinary pen cartridges is purely money - much better for the pump companies to make you buy pump-specific reservoirs from them than have a pump that can take any old pen cartridge...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Insight has glass cartridges. Only 160ml though. A lot smaller than the plastic reservoirs with the old combo.

iHs

I generally leave my Vibe cartridge to go down to 2u before I do a change. I just fill up the plastic cartridge to hold whatever amount of insulin I think I will need for 6 days and re fill if I can so not to waste but OH makes use of my old cartridges anyway and puts oil in them to lubricate the chains on his bikes (very handy) lol.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I try to guess how much insulin I'll need (and then add a bit extra in case I'm consumed by greed). I never thought of finding an alternative use for the reservoirs. Makes sense though.

@donnellysdogs I didn't realise the Insight cartridges were glass. I gave my Insight back because I didn't like it, and I'd been waiting ages for the fillable reservoirs (for my porcine). I wonder if there's much of a cost difference between glass and plastic?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think accuchek went to glass pre filled cartridges because of the complaints with airbubbles in their combo pump reservoirs...

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The reason you change the site is primarily because your skin will start to heal around it if you leave it in too long. Then you get an invisible "occlusion" and your blood sugar starts to climb. Also when you change it, you will bleed a lot more as you rip the cannula away from the newly formed skin.

Depending on your pump, you may be able to use the reservoir until it is empty and change only the insertion set.

I let my reservoir go down to just under ten units usually, but that's my "in case I get greedy" allowance (which I rarely use) and I also try to change in the morning or afternoon, not late at night. So, there are several factors to consider about the timing of new sets.

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
The reason you change the site is primarily because your skin will start to heal around it if you leave it in too long. Then you get an invisible "occlusion" and your blood sugar starts to climb. Also when you change it, you will bleed a lot more as you rip the cannula away from the newly formed skin.

Depending on your pump, you may be able to use the reservoir until it is empty and change only the insertion set.

I let my reservoir go down to just under ten units usually, but that's my "in case I get greedy" allowance (which I rarely use) and I also try to change in the morning or afternoon, not late at night. So, there are several factors to consider about the timing of new sets.

Does your pump use glass/plastic ICs? I was advised plastic is the reason 3 days is the cut off for my pump. However I've used for 5 days with no problems.

Cannula on the other hand... 2-3 day limit sounds sensible!