Restless Leg Syndrome TIPS

Inky0605

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear all RLS sufferers.

I came on the forum for advice re my husbands diabetes and having read lots of posts I'm getting the feeling there are a lot of you out there struggling with RLS.

I have suffered for decades with this but about 10 years ago I had a revelation which I am itching to share with you.

So. After years of feeling that desperate inexplicable feeling of just having to move my leg, and being awake for hours and hours I wondered to myself what would happen if I fought the urge to move.!!

IT WAS A REVELATION.

1. When you get that fuzzy feeling, lie on your back and give your legs a shake out.

2. Remove any weight from your legs such as duvet / blankets etc.

3. Breathe and relax until you start getting that feeling we dread.

4. BREATHE WITH CONTROL AND RRLAX.

5. FIGHT THE URGE TO MOVE THE LEG

6. FIGHT IT SOME MORE.

7. FOCUS ON YOUR BREATHING

8. KEEP REDISTING THE URGE

9. RESIST

10. RESIST

11. KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON RESISTING.

12. Keep going

13. Don't give in

14. JUST AS YOU THINK YOU LITERALLY CANT BARE IT A SINGLE SECOND LONGER AND YOURE LOSING FAITH IN THIS AWFUL EXCERCISE AND YOU JUST HAVE TO MOVE YOUR LEG - DONT

15. BOOM! Your leg will do an involuntary sort of Shake / spasm thing and the relief will be immense.

It's basically a case of training yourself not to move your leg so that it fulfills its own sort of twitch thing. It's a bit like a leg sneeze / mini leg orgasm.

If you keep practising this, then before too long you will feel more in control of it and be able (like me) to kill the hideousness in about 10 minutes or so instead of shuffling around all night in desperation.

It's not the easiest sensation to resist initially but its worked for me....

I really hope some of you can learn this trick

Xx

Reactions: 6 people

Inky0605

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I liken it also to a leg yawn. If you interrupt the yawn you have to start again. Let the leg have its yawn and don't interrupt it

Reactions: 2 people

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It can be a symptom of magnesium deficiency.And supplementing magnesium definitely works for me .Including magnesium oil which u spray on.This works every bit as well as supplements and its way cheaper to make than buy :)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My RLS is caused by a drug I have to take for my depression, and I take Clonidine for the RLS, which works well. It's a drug for high blood pressure but it has a number of other uses. I've had my magnesium level tested and it is fine.

RLS is a horrible condition and sometimes there is nothing that will help. Special hugs to everyone suffering with it :) xx

Reactions: 4 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I find getting up and having a cup of tea stops it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have it and have tried many home things to help it, but nothing worked. I take tablets before bed, ( just took them) and also during the day. It got so bad during the day, I couldn't even sit down because of it, I used to be in tears and tearing my hair out, tbh I couldn't be without Ropinirole.
Good luck to all RLS sufferers, in whatever you do and I hope you get some relief.
RRB

Reactions: 3 people

mandyle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had RLS since I was a young child, but it has got progressively worse! I don't want to go on medication, but it is driving me mad. I have found that a walk around the house even if it is 3am, does the trick. But also, after having stood on cold tile floors it seems to help as well.

Good luck everyone suffering - spouses as well!

Gotheteeshirt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi suffered with RLS for many years and many a time had kicked the cat off the bed! I read in a NHS mag that taking iron tablets can stop the problem, it worked for me. N ow if I stop takeing them for a while the problem comes back ,sadly no cats now

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi suffered with RLS for many years and many a time had kicked the cat off the bed! I read in a NHS mag that taking iron tablets can stop the problem, it worked for me. N ow if I stop takeing them for a while the problem comes back ,sadly no cats now
Glad it's helping. You might want to get blood tests for iron levels, to make sure you don't have iron overload haemochromatosis, which is a very common and serious genetic condition.

amey_13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The Way The World Is Headed....
My Mum suffered terribly with RLS for years. I suffer a bit, but I do find my Metformin helps.