• Type 2 diabetes

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • I can't sleep when hungry

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters

lindisfel

Expert
Just joined thread, thanks.
I have had RH for years but only recently have been able to put a name to it and find a strategy to, perhaps, cope effectively.
For me +2hr meter measurement only tells a fragment of the story because I peak almost immediately after a meal and was not testing BG at +1hr.
T2 with hba1c steady at 45 after cutting down on carbs (but not enough!).

Was diagnosed with Conn's syndrome a year ago, perhaps had Conn's 30 years.
Eg. I produce many times the normal amount of an hormone called aldosterone, this hormone, in excess, causes insulin resistance, it, I believe, eventually impairs the bodies system to cope with glucose.
However, it also damages many systems in the body (heart and kidneys especially) and causes intractable htn due to sodium retention in tissue and often, potassium depletion. (I actually try to keep my sodium intake below 500mgs/day.) So salt to me is toxic.

Regarding dreams? Yes I had lucid dreams (where I was aware I was dreaming) and sleep paralysis for many years but not in recent years.

Has anyone any thoughts if these high low glucose swings could cause a fatty liver...re:GGT high?
regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @lindisfel,

It is my understanding that exess carb intake results in a fatty liver, along with insulin resistance and weight gain.
Then weight loss (with or without low carbing) can reduce the fatty liver.

However it is my understanding (and I am not an expert in these things) that sometimes the fat in the liver leaves scarring, so that even if the fat is lost, the liver cannot return to full function.

Your hormone stuff sounds grim. Did you tick the 'hormone stuff' question in the questionnaire? (sorry, but from your name I am not sure if you are a boy or a girl)

The salt must be awkward. Most of us low carbers find that we have to add salt in to avoid cramps, because often low carb is also low in salt, when salt-added foods like bread etc are removed from the diet. How are you finding it?

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just joined thread, thanks.
I have had RH for years but only recently have been able to put a name to it and find a strategy to, perhaps, cope effectively.
For me +2hr meter measurement only tells a fragment of the story because I peak almost immediately after a meal and was not testing BG at +1hr.
T2 with hba1c steady at 45 after cutting down on carbs (but not enough!).

Was diagnosed with Conn's syndrome a year ago, perhaps had Conn's 30 years.
Eg. I produce many times the normal amount of an hormone called aldosterone, this hormone, in excess, causes insulin resistance, it, I believe, eventually impairs the bodies system to cope with glucose.
However, it also damages many systems in the body (heart and kidneys especially) and causes intractable htn due to sodium retention in tissue and often, potassium depletion. (I actually try to keep my sodium intake below 500mgs/day.) So salt to me is toxic.

Regarding dreams? Yes I had lucid dreams (where I was aware I was dreaming) and sleep paralysis for many years but not in recent years.

Has anyone any thoughts if these high low glucose swings could cause a fatty liver...re:GGT high?
regards

With RH, your spike is quicker t h an normal or diabetic people, but my endocrinologist doesn't know why! Our spikes go straight up to high but normal or diabetics have a slight blip that drops then continues up to a spike.
Fascinating!
I've had a fatty liver, till recently and I know that it is something akin to sclerosis!
The wife has non alcoholic fatty liver. There is a thread by the Southport GP about this and ho low carbing reverses it!
Depending on how quickly you digest, your blood glucose levels can be monitored at both one hour or two hours or even after half hour just to see what happens. Two hours is what happens for bloods to get a standard reading.
Make sure you keep a food diary, so that you can compare in the future.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Brunneria,
The names cryptic, I am a gent! :)
Good that two diets help my condition.
In practice unless someone is dehydrated humans, like apes, can get enough sodium from their diets. Some tribal societies had less than 100mgs/day
Cramp usually has other causes.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria,
The names cryptic, I am a gent! :)
Good that two diets help my condition.
In practice unless someone is dehydrated humans, like apes, can get enough sodium from their diets. Some tribal societies had less than 100mgs/day
Cramp usually has other causes.

There's a thing that happens on low carb, especially in the early days, where glycogen stores are depleted and the fluid that used to hold the glycogen is flushed away, taking electrolytes with them. Lots of people with 'low carb flu' end up needing to take in extra salt.

Hopefully that will be beneficial to you, instead of being a pain in the rear, like it is for most of us!
Personally, if I don't make sure I get enough potassium, magnesium AND table salt, especially in hot weather, I find that cramps strike horribly regularly.

Volek and Phinney have a whole chapter on this in the Art and Science of Low Carb Living - which I think is the best Low Carb book I have found so far.

Reactions: 3 people

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
As for the sweeteners, that is kind of up to you.
The reason i included the question is because i do have reactions (insomnia, hyperactivity, thirst and headaches) to some.

Ok thanks for that. For now I've said no because so far I don't know of any that have done horrible to me. Although I'll be trying them in the future as a sugar replacement.
I've done my votes now thanks.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
This low carb dieting is making me feel quite hungry today. My dear wife will tactfully say you need to shrink your stomach.:)
I have to keep thinking there is pleasure in the pain!

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to thank everyone who has responded and voted in this poll.

The results so far (I think 14 respondants at the moment) are showing some interesting similarities between us.

THANK YOU

I wonder if this patten will continue...?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Only four non diabetic! Hmm!
Half have have dairy issues.
Only ones man issue, how many are men?
I'd have thought more with grain intolerance!

Good idea this Brun!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What platform or phone are you on?

hozzy126

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Nosher I'm on an iPhone.. It's just not loading.. But I'm
Not very technical I got your link in my email but questionnaire just won't open Grrrrrr

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just tried on my iPhone and its there, maybe you have to download the app.
My internet is called safari and I can use Google and Yahoo as well.
I would Google and log in and see what happens.

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
@Brunneria you could do a survey 2.0 in several weeks time with all the things you thought about so far to add. I don't mind voting again.

@nosher8355 remember some, such as myself, were diagnosed with rh prior to being diagnosed with t2. So maybe it's a trend, or a likely hood of occurring, if you're not taught how to deal with rh initially then there's a strong possibility you'll end up like those of us who went on to eat the wrong things, thinking they were doing well, but made them obese and causes t2. I had dietary advice but it wasn't to eliminate carbs, it was to choose modified carbs, and in the end that didn't help. I was shocked when I found out one innocent "healthy" little bread roll was spiking my bg. And then later on I'd get hypo symptoms. But the dietician was clueless.
So yeah, I suggest questions in the poll aimed at finding out what path we've gone down which will determine why we're in the place we're at now.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I agree @freshlybrewed , perhaps in a couple of weeks gives me time to remember something that I thought should be included!!!

Totally agree with your second point as well!

But I'm weird!:confused:

I had to do things **** about face! Diagnosed diabetic first, then RH!:):rolleyes:

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
But I'm weird!:confused:

I had to do things **** about face! Diagnosed diabetic first, then RH!:):rolleyes:

Lol, you're not weird, ok maybe a little.
I didn't mean what I suggested to be the definitive way of things, it's just a suggestion and I'm interested to see how everyone else found out or was diagnosed. Was personally had symptoms all their life but only recently diagnosed, or symptoms come and go over the years, was it linked to diet at the time, well you know... stuff like that.