Four Britons receive Lawrence Medal for having type 1 for more than 60 years

DCUK NewsBot

Four Britons have received the Lawrence Medal, an award given to people who have successfully managed type 1 diabetes for 60 years. The recipients, from Bath, were given their medals at Bath's Royal United Hospital. One of the recipients, Arthur Wheeler, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 12. "It was my mum who spotted the symptoms first - and she took me to the doctors to seek a diagnosis. "At first the doctor was sceptical, but my mother was persistent and they soon discovered that I was diabetic. "My mum and dad had a tough time coping with my diabetes, as they both had health issues of their own, so I spent several years in a Barnardo's Children's Home, where - along with other children with diabetes - I learned to manage my condition. "I would say to anyone newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes that it can be a challenge, but you can manage it if you put your mind to it." The other recipients are John Berry, Rosemary Warner, and Peter Shipp. "I have three lovely children, none of whom have type 1 diabetes, and that makes me very happy," said Mr. Shipp, who had to have a leg amputated below the knee as a result of his diabetes. In Rosemary Warner's family, however, diabetes is quite common: "Type 1 diabetes runs in my family," she said. "My dad and brother both have the condition. But I'm happy to say that I am managing it very well indeed." The Lawrence Medal is named after Dr. Robert Daniel Lawrence, the UK's first prominent diabetes physician. Dr. Lawrence developed diabetes after a splinter of bone flew into his eye, and he decided to dedicate his career to finding new and improved diabetes treatments. The medal is awarded to UK residents who have lived with type 1 diabetes for 60 years. Image source: bathchronicle.co.uk

Continue reading...

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
That was a very positive post to read and congratulations to all the 60 years medal award recipients, well done :)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
its nice to hear/read something like this

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Four Britons have received the Lawrence Medal, an award given to people who have successfully managed type 1 diabetes for 60 years. The recipients, from Bath, were given their medals at Bath's Royal United Hospital. One of the recipients, Arthur Wheeler, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 12. "It was my mum who spotted the symptoms first - and she took me to the doctors to seek a diagnosis. "At first the doctor was sceptical, but my mother was persistent and they soon discovered that I was diabetic. "My mum and dad had a tough time coping with my diabetes, as they both had health issues of their own, so I spent several years in a Barnardo's Children's Home, where - along with other children with diabetes - I learned to manage my condition. "I would say to anyone newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes that it can be a challenge, but you can manage it if you put your mind to it." The other recipients are John Berry, Rosemary Warner, and Peter Shipp. "I have three lovely children, none of whom have type 1 diabetes, and that makes me very happy," said Mr. Shipp, who had to have a leg amputated below the knee as a result of his diabetes. In Rosemary Warner's family, however, diabetes is quite common: "Type 1 diabetes runs in my family," she said. "My dad and brother both have the condition. But I'm happy to say that I am managing it very well indeed." The Lawrence Medal is named after Dr. Robert Daniel Lawrence, the UK's first prominent diabetes physician. Dr. Lawrence developed diabetes after a splinter of bone flew into his eye, and he decided to dedicate his career to finding new and improved diabetes treatments. The medal is awarded to UK residents who have lived with type 1 diabetes for 60 years. Image source: bathchronicle.co.uk

Continue reading...
My wife Ann has had diabetes since 1954, she also has dementia specifically Alzheimers disease. She has recently been recomended for an award. We have known each other since about the time of her diagnosis as we lived next door to each other. We have been married since 1963. She was diagnosed with dementia approximatly 3 years ago, although she has had symptoms for much longer than that. I am now her fultime carer and manage her diabetes for her.