jamies sugar rush

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I watched it and it's shocking to discover the amount of sugar in drinks, fortunately I have rarely drunk fizzy drinks, the bit on Mexico was apalling, they even put coke in babies bottles how bad is that?:bigtears:
Mexico, and also Downham, SE London. :-(

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Makes me laugh at his idea of a sugar tax. Simple solution is if he feels that strongly about soft drinks then don't serve them in his restaurants.
I agree completely. Why should everyone be hit with a sugar tax? If people choose to eat and drink foods and drinks loaded with sugar that is their choice and no way should people with more sense be made to pay a tax that will not serve any purpose in stopping people eating and drinking the sugar laden rubbish. It would be more beneficial for the government to tackle the manufacturers and food industry as a whole and demand that they reduce the amount of added sugar, fat and salt in our foods. It definitely pays to check labels and see exactly what is in the so called ''healthy'' options we are presented with. Low fat, low sugar options are always compromised with something else added that we don't need and worse still, don't even realise is there

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And scrap the booze and fags tax while they are at it? Similarly just a way for the government to rake in money for not doing anything about the problem.

But disqualify anyone from NHS treatment if they fail a sugar, alcohol or smoking test, unless they sign up to a programme that helps them to quit?

:-/

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I admire Jamie though, he could just sit back and serve the drinks etc and take the profits. He's a multi millionaire and could just sit back and do nothing.
It was good to see one school guaranteeing that obese children would not be leaving it and they were all learning about fruit n veg and cooking real meals.
There was another programme on BBC last night where the mum just served convenience foods and spending £208 a week on food. She didn't even know what a lime was!!
At least he tries...

Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
He is trying to make a difference. He is a good bloke I agree. It's a shame he's not working with great information.

Reactions: 4 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I admire Jamie though, he could just sit back and serve the drinks etc and take the profits. He's a multi millionaire and could just sit back and do nothing.
It was good to see one school guaranteeing that obese children would not be leaving it and they were all learning about fruit n veg and cooking real meals.
There was another programme on BBC last night where the mum just served convenience foods and spending £208 a week on food. She didn't even know what a lime was!!
At least he tries...
I saw that programme....she was just sooooo lazy. The way a block of cheese freaked her out was laughable...so much easier to buy pre sliced or grated smh

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Trouble is (some) parents are taking what they think is healthy quicker options.......and some genuinely do not know how to cook!
I have a friend that really tries.. But one of her 1st attempts was a chilli recipe. She didn't realise tsp meant teaspoon of chilli powder so added tablespoon and thinking we all liked hot food put in 3 tablespoons of hot chilli powder.
If people genuinely do not know how to cook what chance is there??
Yet, we are meant to be watching more of the great british bake off programmes than ever before.. Unless its the older generations tuning in??

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble is (some) parents are taking what they think is healthy quicker options.......and some genuinely do not know how to cook!
I have a friend that really tries.. But one of her 1st attempts was a chilli recipe. She didn't realise tsp meant teaspoon of chilli powder so added tablespoon and thinking we all liked hot food put in 3 tablespoons of hot chilli powder.
If people genuinely do not know how to cook what chance is there??
Yet, we are meant to be watching more of the great british bake off programmes than ever before.. Unless its the older generations tuning in??
True that many parents think they feed their kids healthy stuff. My daughter in law often gives her toddlers so called healthy snacks...I suggested she look on the label to see the sugar content.....she almost fainted when she realised just how much was in them.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
People respond to the "healthy" looking marketing and packaging and don't check the labels. Like we have to do.

Reactions: 7 people
C

chris lowe

No, one - I don't watch TV, too boring. Two - can't stand the guy, he's a narcissist and encourager of the nanny-state. If you want to know about hidden sugars, salts, artificial flavourings and ingredients of food you can just use the internet.
I'm with you on that, can't stand the fake mockney, I'm your best mate persona. If you want to know what you're eating cook from scratch &/or check the info on packet. And he's given his kids barmy names to haunt them through their lives

C

chris lowe

At least he tries...
Isn't it a generation thing? I had "domestic science " at school and learnt to cook basic foods and some nutrition. Mum was an enthusiastic cook as well (despite my dads meat & 2 veg mentality). I'm a keen cook so my son knows how to cook well & eat healthily.

Reactions: 7 people

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did anyone watch the Jamie Oliver programme on Channel 4 on sugar last night? If so, what did you think?

I've got mixed feelings about it because, whilst his goal is credible, his facts are a bit skewed. Yes, T2 can be very much diet and lack of exercise created, however, genetics do play a part. He only nodded towards that fact. It's obviously a very hot topic in the news at the moment, but why can't people present the full facts? He focussed on fizzy drinks and hidden sugar, but ignored carbs. Why?

OK, it's a very minor rant, but I'm fed up with people constantly telling me it's all about my diet. I'm adopted so can't prove a genetic influence, but it isn't unheard of, is it?!

...and relax... thanks for listening!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Look at all the costs of all those surgeons involved in the extraction of childrens teeth.
I was brought up on plain milk..
I just don't understand the parents thoughts to give any drink with sugar of any form in it..
I guess many of us have seen a programme on TV not long a go showing all the children having their teeth taken out.
Its such a dire shame it really is.

We did domestic science too and my dad did all the cooking in our house and involved all of us 3 children peeling veg, picking beans and putting them through a little bean cutter.
The kids round here don't even eat veg... Or fruit. There parents (30-40 years old) don't like veg or fruit (just takeaways) and that is how their children think life is...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The kids round here don't even eat veg... Or fruit. There parents (30-40 years old) don't like veg or fruit (just takeaways) and that is how their children think life is
A few years back whilst milking a dairy heard a family came into the parlour to see how cows were milked. I asked the children if they knew where milk and cream came from............ Puzzled looks answer bottles of course. After I had finished the milking I took the children to the veggie patch the children genuinely thought spuds came out of tins or large bags in the supermarket.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jamie's Sugar Manifesto:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/sugar-rush/JamiesSugarManifesto.pdf

A 7p tax on a 330ml soft drink wouldn't make a great difference to people buying the product IMHO, however the money raised to raise awareness and to support preventative strategies would be money well spent, but that said I think they should start with the manufacturers and get them to play their part on reducing the sugar content in their food.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree re engaging with the manufacturers, but. So far the main success of the anti sugar campaign is to put artificial sweeteners in everything as well as the sugars, and to change the food labeling so I need a magnifying glass to find the carb count.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And where is DUK in all this? Keeping quiet and toeing the old dated government party line, as usual.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Jamie's Sugar Manifesto:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/sugar-rush/JamiesSugarManifesto.pdf

A 7p tax on a 330ml soft drink wouldn't make a great difference to people buying the product IMHO, however the money raised to raise awareness and to support preventative strategies would be money well spent, but that said I think they should start with the manufacturers and get them to play their part on reducing the sugar content in their food.
How much is it going to cost to set up ie, admin?
Soft drinks are already taxed anyway (VAT)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mexico, and also Downham, SE London. :-(
Yes, and that isn't new. My son had to go to the dental hospital at King's College S.E London back in about 1982 ( one of his teeth was twice as big as it should be). Our cubicle was directly opposite a 3 year old who was about to have her all her baby teeth extracted; cause not coke but Ribena in a 'comforter'
Are we eating more added sugar? No doubt that we are eating more than we would have in before the early 19th century.I'mnot so sure that we are eating more than was eaten in the 1950s. It's hard to say since I don't think that statistics always show the truth (ie some suggest calorie intake has fallen and I don't believe that at all!)
What I have seen does show a huge increase in intake after sugar came off ration (all those puddings and fairy cakes and iced gems and jam with rice pudding, in sandwiches and even sugar sandwiches, not forgetting the 6d worth of sweets from the corner shop. I can remember sitting there with a stick of rhubarb dipping it into sugar ) My teeth, like I suspect many children of that era are heavily filled. (none in recent years; all from childhood)
In contrast, as an 'informed' mother, my children who grew up in the 70s and 80s had rationed sweets They had them after meals, once a week only and squash was artificially sweetened .(teeth wise it worked, no fillings, even today) I doubt I was the only one but this is the first generation that developing type 2 at an earlier age than previously

Reactions: 5 people