Low bg at 1hr post meal

teoni

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I 've just had my evening meal, fish with vegetables, totalling 20 gr carbs. My pre meal reading was 4.3 but my post meal bg has gone down to 3.6, is this anything to worry about?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I 've just had my evening meal, fish with vegetables, totalling 20 gr carbs. My pre meal reading was 4.3 but my post meal bg has gone down to 3.6, is this anything to worry about?
As a one off, it's probably nothing to worry about. Your reading could be wrong if your meter isn't very accurate. If it starts happening a lot, then it might be reactive hypoglycaemia and folks like @nosher8355 and @Brunneria can give you some info about that. Try testing at 1 hour and 2 hours and even 3 hours if needed for a while, that will give you a better picture.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you feel OK I think it's a cause for celebration. A retest could be in order though. The meters aren't always exact.I got a new one when mine gave readings between 2.8 and 6.8 in four tests in four minuets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

Did your bg rise or fall at the 2hr mark?

I think the most likely explanation in this instance, is meter variance.
Our home meters are not very accurate (it is an inevitable consequence of manufacturing a small, portable, rapid meter). The accepted variance is up to 15% from your actual measurement.

So both your tests are roughly similar, applying that 15% inaccuracy.
I could do the maths to work it all out precisely, but there doesn't seem much point, because we are looking at inaccuracies. ;)

A few of us get blood glucose readings that are lower 2-5 hours after food than they were before the food, but it tends to only happen when we eat more carbs than you did, and it usually takes longer than one hour. As @CatLadyNZ says, it is called reactive hypoglycaemia. But i think you would have to see a very consistent pattern, with much bigger highs and lows, before that was a likelihood.

If there is a pattern like that, you will spot it very easily with regular testing, but the general rule is not to worry about individual readings, and watch for trends and patterns.

Hope that helps. :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

You only get Hypoglycaemia like that, with very quick digestion, it's a form of RH called 'dumping syndrome'.
I agree with the others, it is highly unlikely!
If you get a rogue reading like that, test again after washing your hands and drying them properly.
As Brun says, look for patterns.
Well done on your pre meal reading!

teoni

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all of the advice, I tested again at 2hrs 6.6 . I thought maybe it was because i was having too few carbs, I'm not really sure how low a low carb diet is.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Theres a lot of discussion on that!

Basically, a typical western diet often has 200-400 g carbs a day.
So the general consensus is that low carbing starts when you drop below 130-150g
Then very low carbing (a ketogenic diet) is when you drop below 50 g ish
Some of us need to drop down to as low as 10 or 20g a day in order to lose weight

Everyone needs to find their own balance (feel good v sustainability v blood glucose results), so dont feel pressured to go any lower carb than works for you. Some people get all the benefits on 180g a day, while others live on 20g.

You meter will tell you everything you need to fine tune your diet for your body, and your diabetes. :)