GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Phoopsies (Pysllium Husk & Oppsie)
Posted by @Humblebee on another thread: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/first-attempt-at-oopsie-bread.77523/

56g Ground Almond
3 tsp Psyllium Husk
3 tsp Baking Powder
35g Melted Butter
6 lg Eggs
35g Soft Full Fat Cream Cheese
¼ tsp Cream of Tartare
Pinch Salt

Mix Ground Almond. Psyllium Husk, Baking Powder & Pinch of Salt together in a bowl
Beat eggs together with Cream of Tartare
Add dry ingredients to slowly to egg mix, add melted butter, and cream cheese, which
will probably go a little lumpy but it does five a good delicate flavour.

Spoon onto a tray to the size you want and cook at same temperature as for Oopsies
take around 30 minutes to cook. (150C 300F)

I now use an electric Brownie maker, and get flat type 'bread' the above is enough for
3 loads, each making 3 slices which are now large enough for me and ... they don't
disintegrate like the original Oopsies.

The photo shows a BLT sandwich - which is divine. Makes a good pizza base, also great for
cheese and ham on toast, egg and bacon, breakfast lunch or dinner, oh the list i endless.

I use the same basic mix but add cocoa powder and Tevia/or/ Stevia or whatever ones choice,
and make small chocolate cakes and brownies, but I add 3 to 4 frozen blueberries once they
are in the moulds. Can of course be cooked in the oven.
I usually have two for breakfast, buttered and spread with full fat cream cheese. They are delicious.
And most important, they do not spike my BG one little bit.

It is best to freeze them if you won't be eating them within a couple of day, because they only
last a couple of days even in the fridge.
14-may-15-blt-phoopsie-6115-jpg.13516
I've just made this and it's brilliant. It's much closer in texture to actual bread than I thought. Thank you so much for this!

Reactions: 4 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried the ordinary oopsies but they weren't successful. The photo looks brilliant. I will give these a try. Thank you. :)

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I just logged it onto MyFitnessPal, saying that the above makes 4 servings. A serving comes out at 25g fat, 13 protein and 2 carbs, 282 calories in all. I made a bacon sandwich with it. DEEELLIIISSSHHH

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like a great recipe, I will definately give it a go.

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
I'm planning my first adventure into making Phoopsies, I'm so excited!
I'm no baking expert, so I'm not making any assumptions about the ingredients;
56g Ground Almond
3 tsp Psyllium Husk

So I found Almond flour and Psyllium powder on Amazon, would that be what I need to use as there's a few different options.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm planning my first adventure into making Phoopsies, I'm so excited!
I'm no baking expert, so I'm not making any assumptions about the ingredients;
56g Ground Almond
3 tsp Psyllium Husk

So I found Almond flour and Psyllium powder on Amazon, would that be what I need to use as there's a few different options.
The psyllium husks I've got are powdered, so I reckon it's the same thing. I'm not sure about the almonds, but I ask myself ... "What difference could it make?"
Go for it !

Last edited by a moderator:

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I cant seem to put up link but I would just like to tell you all on here this seed bread is just gorgeous ! I think its 5 carbs a slice .I cut it extemely thinly which it allows u to .
Its very dense and yummy:
HEATHERS TOASTED SEED POWER BREAD
Please somone put up a link if possible for you to do so .I have sucessfully made this a few times.Great bread! Eggless too :)

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My mixture is very wet but comes together in the oven. (Like I'm an expert - I've only done it twice!).

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I left the second one while the first one cooked and it thickened up. It cooked much better than the first ones. They taste good but don't look a patch on yours. I think your bacon sandwich looked fantastic!

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I left the second one while the first one cooked and it thickened up. It cooked much better than the first ones. They taste good but don't look a patch on yours. I think your bacon sandwich looked fantastic!
I can't claim credit for the bacon sandwich - that belongs to the original recipe poster. Next time I'll leave the mixture for a while first and see how it goes.

Reactions: 3 people

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a heads up if you eat the Burgen bread, it's on offer in Co-op stores at £2 for 2 large loaves.

Reactions: 3 people

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
Just to confirm Phoopsie works in a waffle mould, Phoopsie Waffles!

I was suitably shocked at how high these things got in the oven, maybe slightly less baking powder next time? The mixture expanded quite a lot in the mixing bowl too and then set into a thick glutenous gloop. So I spooned it out and pressed it into the waffle mould. I got five thick waffles from the above recipe. each works out to 269kcal 4.2g carbs 12.9g protein 21g fat 2g fibre
I think these are going to be way better with home made icecream on them, whipped cream and berries. Maybe add a little vanilla to the recipe.

150913_PhoopsieWaffle-1.jpg 150913_PhoopsieWaffle-2.jpg 150913_PhoopsieWaffle-3.jpg

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Posted by @Humblebee on another thread: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/first-attempt-at-oopsie-bread.77523/

56g Ground Almond
3 tsp Psyllium Husk
3 tsp Baking Powder
35g Melted Butter
6 lg Eggs
35g Soft Full Fat Cream Cheese
¼ tsp Cream of Tartare
Pinch Salt

Mix Ground Almond. Psyllium Husk, Baking Powder & Pinch of Salt together in a bowl
Beat eggs together with Cream of Tartare
Add dry ingredients to slowly to egg mix, add melted butter, and cream cheese, which
will probably go a little lumpy but it does five a good delicate flavour.

Spoon onto a tray to the size you want and cook at same temperature as for Oopsies
take around 30 minutes to cook. (150C 300F)

I now use an electric Brownie maker, and get flat type 'bread' the above is enough for
3 loads, each making 3 slices which are now large enough for me and ... they don't
disintegrate like the original Oopsies.

The photo shows a BLT sandwich - which is divine. Makes a good pizza base, also great for
cheese and ham on toast, egg and bacon, breakfast lunch or dinner, oh the list i endless.

I use the same basic mix but add cocoa powder and Tevia/or/ Stevia or whatever ones choice,
and make small chocolate cakes and brownies, but I add 3 to 4 frozen blueberries once they
are in the moulds. Can of course be cooked in the oven.
I usually have two for breakfast, buttered and spread with full fat cream cheese. They are delicious.
And most important, they do not spike my BG one little bit.

It is best to freeze them if you won't be eating them within a couple of day, because they only
last a couple of days even in the fridge.
14-may-15-blt-phoopsie-6115-jpg.13516

I know this is an old-ish post but I was looking up psyllium husk and found this. I fancy making it but the only ingredient I haven't got is "cream of tartare". Is it essential? What does it do exactly. Would it work without it?

Also, with the psyllium husk being a laxative, is it "Poopsie Bread" ? :D

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats actually a really good question. I have made a note of the recipe as I want to try it but I didnt take any notice of the extra cream of tartare added. I know that baking powder is a mix of baking soda and cream of tartare so it will be interesting to find out if we actually need the extra cream of tartare as well.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cant seem to put up link but I would just like to tell you all on here this seed bread is just gorgeous ! I think its 5 carbs a slice .I cut it extemely thinly which it allows u to .
Its very dense and yummy:
HEATHERS TOASTED SEED POWER BREAD
Please somone put up a link if possible for you to do so .I have sucessfully made this a few times.Great bread! Eggless too :)

@Sobeit Hi, I found Heather's Toasted Seed Power Bread. It does sound yummy but so many ingredients. :( I doubt if I'll get round to making it but (hopefully) here's the link for it:

http://ohsheglows.com/2014/11/12/heathers-toasted-super-seed-power-bread-from-yum-universe-vegan-gf/

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw thats great thanks for posting the link @copey399. I made 2 because its a bit of effort and last time I made one I was regretting I hadnt made 2 becus its the same amount of work really . It is fabulous ! I like that its quite dense and u can cut it really thinly ,therefor less carbs. Lovely plain ,toasted or fried in.a little olive oil.Anyway thanks for posting link :)!

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my Phoopsies are in the oven as I type this. My mixture was so wet that it was impossible to keep them separate so they have just spread and combined with each other :( I hope it wasn't a waste of 6 eggs. :D I'll let you know how they turn out.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:( Just another affirmation of my total lack of culinary skills. Came out flat as a pancake and all I could taste was egg. My "large" eggs were probably more like jumbo so should have used less probably. Hindsight is a wonderful thing .... not. And I guess the lack of cream of tartar contributed to the overall disaster.