Juice Plus diet and T2

sandy.b

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone on here been on the JP diet/food plan? I am T2 and am absolutely fed up, having put on nearly a stone in weight since being diagnosed. I was working nights, which I think was part of it, so my boss has put me onto days now.
I also suffer with COPD and am a 49 years old female. I am forever forgetting to take my meds so my hubby bought me a dosset box - I still forget them.
I feel as if I need to do something like this to give me the boost to loosing weight, but scared I come off it and things are worse.
On diagnosis in December, my long term bloods were 98%, March they were down to 83% and last week they were down to 73%.
Any advice welcome as I am getting seriously depressed at the moment :(

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Unfortunately some diabetics believe that fruit is good for you!
But fructose is a sugar!
And drinking or eating concentrated fructose as a replacement meal is not of any benefit to your blood glucose levels and your overall hba1c levels.

Have a read of the low carb forum and look at the recipes and ideas that are there.
Probably, you may still be eating too much, little and often in moderation, and up your walking will always help!
Ask questions about low carbing, it does work, reducing your carbs is the start!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a thread about it recently. Don't waste your money - try reducing your carbohydrates and look at trying a low carb diet as @nosher8355 has suggested. Any commecial diet plan aimed at diabetics is usually a big con and full of unsuitable sugars/carbohydrates. The one sound piece of advice I got from my diabetic nurse was not to eat these offerings like the plague.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

sandy.b

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys, I am seriously struggling. I work in a nursing home and they are saying it is ok for a diabetic guy in there to eat bread and butter or crisps for a snack rather than a biscuit. Confusing me even more! It is Utterly Butterly, which DESMOND said was ok to use as a spread on bread/toast. I just don't know who to believe any more and have cried so many tears over it all :(

M

mrspuddleduck

Hi @sandy.b please please please find the thread on juice plus and read it before you decide. Then go to Argos and buy a cheap alarm watch (I got one for a tenner) and set it to go off when your meds are due. Then stay here with us, there are loads of people on here that have been through the same and they can help you with the diet/food stuff. Ask anything, that's what the forums for!! (Icant cos Im a LADA on insulin but will chip in if I can!) Sue xxx

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks guys, I am seriously struggling. I work in a nursing home and they are saying it is ok for a diabetic guy in there to eat bread and butter or crisps for a snack rather than a biscuit. Confusing me even more! It is Utterly Butterly, which DESMOND said was ok to use as a spread on bread/toast. I just don't know who to believe any more and have cried so many tears over it all :(

The change is happening, slowly but surely, I am allergic to carbs!
I have to very low carb! It works!
Three years ago, nearly seventeen stone and waist size 38"
Now under 12 stone and 32" waist.

The wife has T2, she has been told by her doctor to ditch the carbs!
There is a GP, who has posted his studies on low carb search 'Southport gp'
My consultant insists on only complex carbs, but agrees with me that my lifestyle r really working.

I have spent time in hospital and its going to take a long time to convince the establishment that they have been wrong for years!

There is a woman who wrote the guidelines to NICE. And she has brought out a book about how low carb has changed her life.

It's not only the carbs, it's the fats! You've been told to eat low or no fat products, wrong!
Full fat as part of a low carb lifestyle will lose you weight!

Weird but true!

And it does work!

sandy.b

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys. Mrspuddleduck, that is a good idea, especially when I do shift work. We don't have a break as such, we eat with the residents and that is how I forget to take my meds, especially on a back shift. Not too bad on an early as I can force myself to have a weetabix at 5.30am to take morning ones x

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks guys. Mrspuddleduck, that is a good idea, especially when I do shift work. We don't have a break as such, we eat with the residents and that is how I forget to take my meds, especially on a back shift. Not too bad on an early as I can force myself to have a weetabix at 5.30am to take morning ones x

Ditch the weetabix and all cereals. They are just so full of bad sugars and carbs!

sandy.b

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nosher, this is exactly what I mean - diabetic nurse told me to eat weetabix for breakfast :(

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetic nurse is talking utter tosh! :wideyed::wideyed: The NHS advice is to eat carbs and this advice is quite wrong for type 2 diabetics, so listen instead to the people here who actually have to live with diabetes! The most important thing for you to be aware of is that carbohydrates are what cause our glucose levels to rise - the more we eat the higher they tend to go - and as a result the more likely we are to get nasty complications, so it's far better to avoid all high carb foods.

Robbity

sandy.b

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys. Am not going to do it, am going to have to try and work this out. My problem is reading sugars and carb contents on the packets. What percentage of sugar is classed as low? X

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look at the full nutritional list on the packaging which will tell you the carbohydrate value - sugars are also included here, and it's this complete carbohydrate figure which is the important one. An ideal check is to look for values of less that 10grams of carbs per 100 grams actual weight. But maybe look for values of under 15grams of carbs to start with. Many packaged food state a very low and unrealistic portion size so that values appear to be nice and low, so you should generally avoid relying on this option.

Robbity

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @sandy.b

I'm going to say something that could be outside your influence but hey ho!

If you work in a care home, the residents will be on all types of diets, to relieve their many problems. They are many and varied. But none of them are the one that works for diabetics of all types, it also works for thyroid problems, it works for the obese and it works for all types of eating disorders.

If you treat an eating disorder with medicine, isn't it better to treat with food? It can and it does work!

Low carbing and full fat, plus moderate exercise works. It does!

I have to do it, but once your in control and get your levels near normal your pancreas responds by producing more insulin to get rid of the excess sugar. Then you can adjust your carb intake to suit your lifestyle.

Only you have to make the decision to do it.
It is not a degenerative disease, it is controllable and you will feel healthier and fitter, once you get control.
You then could use your experience to influence others in the care home to diet healthier and cut out the unnecessary sugars and carbs that cause so many blood glucose problems.

It's your health!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I can recommend low carb eating, I lost over 8 stone in one year this way. It really does help with diabetes, so much.

I take my pills as soon as I wake up in the morning and at 5pm, they are kept on my dresser with everything I need for my morning routine, so it is very rare that I forget to take them. Keeping them next to something that you have to use can be a good reminder. Like, you could try attaching them to your car keys, by putting them both into a clear plastic bag. Then when you grab your car keys you can't avoid noticing the pills too.

Reactions: 4 people

Wazza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
None really
Trick with carbs is to keep them low, but make sure they are low GI ie Brown basmati for rice rather than jasmine which has about twice the GI, this means that absorption rate is lower for basmati and therefor conversion to sugar much slower .... Stops a quick glucose peak. Keeping carbs low helps control weight, but you still need them! Simplistic rule is to avoid "white" ie sugar, potato, bread etc
and check the GI. I invested in a FitBit which monitors energy in vs out, it has a program that calculates calories for most foods and totals them for each meal, taking into account energy used and shows the daily balance... I lost 1 kg per week and have really great meals GL dropped from 15mml/l to around 8 or 9 in a matter of about a week... Hope this helps. The FitBit takes the guessing away.
Wazza

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Trick with carbs is to keep them low, but make sure they are low GI ie Brown basmati for rice rather than jasmine which has about twice the GI, this means that absorption rate is lower for basmati and therefor conversion to sugar much slower .... Stops a quick glucose peak. Keeping carbs low helps control weight, but you still need them! Simplistic rule is to avoid "white" ie sugar, potato, bread etc
and check the GI. I invested in a FitBit which monitors energy in vs out, it has a program that calculates calories for most foods and totals them for each meal, taking into account energy used and shows the daily balance... I lost 1 kg per week and have really great meals GL dropped from 15mml/l to around 8 or 9 in a matter of about a week... Hope this helps. The FitBit takes the guessing away.
Wazza
Switching to low GI carbs does slow the impact, but they are still converted into sugar so they are still bad for us. Most of us find we can't eat rice or bread at all or only in tiny amounts.

Wazza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
None really
Correct, I don't eat bread and carefully count grains like Quinoa, brown basmati, burghul etc. one quarter of a cup is about max. But enough to give a nice flavour to a salad. I seem to be able to avoid a post prandial peak. My point though was for folk who have difficulty tracking or counting carbs, calories and sugars the Fitbit is very useful.