Sugary drinks tax? What about drinks for hypos?

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I watched the programme 'sugar rush' on channel 4 yesterday, the one with Jamie Oliver. He wants to implement a sugar tax on drinks with added sugar nationally and already has done in his restaurants. There is a link for the petition here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/106651
Whilst I think this is a great idea and may cut back on obesity and some cases of type 2 (I know it can be influence by genetics btw) the flip-side is what about drinks like lucozade that I buy a lot for when I'm having hypos? Do you think we may get some sort of exemption? It's not like we're going to but sugary drinks to drink for pleasure! Long post haha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I never drink sugary drinks for a hypo and I dislike lucozade anyway. I was given lucozade once whilst having a hypo in a shop, I remember the taste was revolting, but my daughter made me drink it, well some of :yuck:

Reactions: 2 people

Curly604

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are so many other ways to treat a hypo that are very cheap. I agree also it is a good idea, just have to stock up on other hypo treatments

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As someone who has almost literally drunk a small ocean's worth of Lucozade in the last year, I don't agree with a tax.

I don't see why sensible consumers should be punished. Surely the answer is education?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hypo treatments such as GlucoJuice would be exempt as it's available on prescription, anyway don't think many would use this as a sugar-rush given the price of the stuff.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
As someone who has almost literally drunk a small ocean's worth of Lucozade in the last year, I don't agree with a tax.

I don't see why sensible consumers should be punished. Surely the answer is education?
You already pay a tax on it (VAT)

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Initially I thought it was a good idea but am on the fence now. I use lucozade as I find it easier and more effective than other things especially when cycling. Don't think the tax would bother me too much as I buy in bulk from Costco lol. Education is the problem like Azure said I think. Sensible consumers shouldn't be punished and many are oblivious to the consequences of too much sugar. I'm at school atm and people are drinking bottles of lucozade because they are tired!!! Many also aren't away of what type 1 diabetes means and how if effects you.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The tax should be payed by the company producing it!
Not by the consumer.

But it should not be the only way of tackling obesity, education is paramount and it should not only be refined sugar, but other sugars unless it is safe to put in food and drinks!
Then food production would be healthier, you just don't know what passes for production sugars!

Will the sugar cane growers not lose out?
Tate and Lyle certainly won't!

Also, the farmers who produce such harmful ingredients such as corn syrup, should be persuaded to grow healthier crops.

The whole food industry is not under enough scrutiny by the pubic to change its methods of production and the harmful ingredients incorporated.

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I remember when bottles of lucozade where lined up along the cabinets of patients in every ward in hospitals.
Sports drinks are on the decline especially in sports.
They are a quick fix for energy levels and in the long run don't do the athlete any good whatsoever!
The world of sport has turned its back on this rubbish.
They should be like the red bull drinks be for adult only consumption!

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the tax is introduced we should be exempt from it, yes you can get hypo treatments on prescription but these probably cost more than Lucozade or Coke to produce so by giving us exemptions it would actually save NHS costs.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Uh-oh. I'm going to be controversial now.

To position my stance on this as a whole, I doubt the tax will float as a result of the petition, because few people vote to spend more money. However, it may happen anyway, as it seems like a soft target.

However, if it comes in, my view would be that it's just one of those things. Some punches are easier to roll with than others. OK. I accept I am T2, and have never take medication, so the upshot of that is I am not exempted any prescription costs, and nor do I have test strips on prescription. So, I do self-fund my diabetes, and reckon my testing costs amount to more than the ocassional bottle of Lucozade. If you are having lots of hypos, it would be all too easy, for one not completely familiar with the challenges of T1, to suggest it might inspire more effort in preventing hypos.

See. I told you I was going to go against the flow. :)

Reactions: 3 people

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Uh-oh. I'm going to be controversial now.

To position my stance on this as a whole, I doubt the tax will float as a result of the petition, because few people vote to spend more money. However, it may happen anyway, as it seems like a soft target.

However, if it comes in, my view would be that it's just one of those things. Some punches are easier to roll with than others. OK. I accept I am T2, and have never take medication, so the upshot of that is I am not exempted any prescription costs, and nor do I have test strips on prescription. So, I do self-fund my diabetes, and reckon my testing costs amount to more than the ocassional bottle of Lucozade. If you are having lots of hypos, it would be all too easy, for one not completely familiar with the challenges of T1, to suggest it might inspire more effort in preventing hypos.

See. I told you I was going to go against the flow. :)

I actually agree with you in most of what you say. There are other alternatives such as better education and I don't have that much of a problem with buying lucozade with hypos normally as I don't have many. However I go through quite a few bottles when going cycling which I do a lot so it does add up. Maybe I'm doing something long I don't know but in order to keep my levels up I have to have it to quickly boost my levels as well as having longer lasting carbs such as non sugar carb food snacks.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually agree with you in most of what you say. There are other alternatives such as better education and I don't have that much of a problem with buying lucozade with hypos normally as I don't have many. However I go through quite a few bottles when going cycling which I do a lot so it does add up. Maybe I'm doing something long I don't know but in order to keep my levels up I have to have it to quickly boost my levels as well as having longer lasting carbs such as non sugar carb food snacks.

I'm not picking any argument with you on this, just rather playing devil's advocate, but your argument has changed, and if anything my stance would absolutely harden, because if you want an exemption because you buy lots of Lucozade, as it's convenient to buoy your levels when you cycle, then effectively you want an exemption to cater for your lifestyle. That can't ever make sense, surely?

I struggle with why qualifying diabetics receive all medicines free of charge, except that the admin of policing what is and isn't diabetes related would probably cost as much as the scripts. But, let's not go there.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just going to but in and I am not sure I'm really right, but why do you need to keep drinking the stuff?
I've been told and maybe it's T2s but if you low carb, then you don't need topping up with glucose or carbs!
I'm wrong aren't I?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One could just do a "Pam Doove" & order a BOCKLE OF ORANGGGGE JOOOSE!? Lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just going to but in and I am not sure I'm really right, but why do you need to keep drinking the stuff?
I've been told and maybe it's T2s but if you low carb, then you don't need topping up with glucose or carbs!
I'm wrong aren't I?
Hi Nosher,

Recalling my childhood days on the bovine insulin. It was pretty much eating to a set dose at set times with mid morning & mid afternoon carb snacking inbetween..
Leisurely summer day cycle rides were a nightmare feeding the the "beast" as I layed down the mileage. I was literally loaded down on my old Ralleigh with enough snacks carbs to please a mangers meeting.. All I needed was an earn full of coffee..! Lol

Thank goodness for MDI. But the basal rate needs to be set right! ;)

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wrong aren't I?

When exercising and having insulin you have to balance you insulin with how much exercise you're doing. When exercising I always go low or close to low levels so need to have lucozade due to the on board insulin. I don't really know how to explain it can someone help

Reactions: 4 people

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're not injecting insulin, when your levels go low from exercise etc... Your body cuts of the supply so you don't have a hypo but when injecting that doesn't happen so if you have insulin on board from a meal and exercise lowers your levels, the insulin keeps lowering your levels more so you go low

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're not injecting insulin, when your levels go low from exercise etc... Your body cuts of the supply so you don't have a hypo but when injecting that doesn't happen so if you have insulin on board from a meal and exercise lowers your levels, the insulin keeps lowering your levels more so you go low

The liver should also dump glycogen too, during exercise? But I could be wrong.. ;)