Hi guys, newbie here.

Debs1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, I'm Debs. I'm 45, very overweight ( I have 7 stone to lose). I was diagnosed T2 6 weeks ago. Was feeling absolutely fine apart from repeated UTI's. Couldn't understand why I kept getting them, so went to GP and she said well just check your blood sugar. Came back as 13.2, even I knew that was not good at all. She told me my HbA1c was 10.2. I'm assuming that's %. So she started me on 500mg Metformin once a day slow release. I started low carb eating from that moment. I haven't eaten more than 20g of carbs a day in these 6 weeks.
The metformin has ruined my quality of life. I have had stomach cramps ( sometimes quite severe) for 6 weeks and I have the horrible toilet trips, every day for the last 6 weeks, sometimes up to 10 times a day.
I have refused nights out with friends and family because I just can't stray far from toilet for long.
For the past 6 weeks whilst taking the metformin and low carbing my bloods were ranging from 8.8 to 6.2.
3 days ago, I was just so fed up with feeling sick all day and running to the loo, I threw the head up and refused to take it again. In 3 days, metformin free, my bloods have been ranging from 6.9 - 7.2 - 6.5. This morning it was 7.9 that's the highest it's been but I'm thinking it was maybe just a liver dump, hopefully, because 2 hours later it was down to 6.8 again.
Since coming off the metformin, I have had so much more energy, I feel alive, not sluggish or tired, not hungry, no sickness, no toilet trips and just so much better.
I'm scared to stop them, because I don't want those nasty UTI's to come back, but I need to have some quality of life too. I even cancelled a trip to dentist because I couldn't risk it. That's no way to live.
I'm sticking to my low carb diet for the foreseeable future, probably the rest of my life. Judging by my results, does it look like something that I can do?
I go to see my DN on Friday and he is hell bent on getting me to take the weekly injection. I'm refusing so far because I don't know enough about it yet, which is scary.
Would love all your opinions. Thank you. X x x x
3 days ago, I threw the head up and just stopped

Reactions: 2 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Hi everyone, I'm Debs. I'm 45, very overweight ( I have 7 stone to lose). I was diagnosed T2 6 weeks ago. Was feeling absolutely fine apart from repeated UTI's. Couldn't understand why I kept getting them, so went to GP and she said well just check your blood sugar. Came back as 13.2, even I knew that was not good at all. She told me my HbA1c was 10.2. I'm assuming that's %. So she started me on 500mg Metformin once a day slow release. I started low carb eating from that moment. I haven't eaten more than 20g of carbs a day in these 6 weeks.
The metformin has ruined my quality of life. I have had stomach cramps ( sometimes quite severe) for 6 weeks and I have the horrible toilet trips, every day for the last 6 weeks, sometimes up to 10 times a day.
I have refused nights out with friends and family because I just can't stray far from toilet for long.
For the past 6 weeks whilst taking the metformin and low carbing my bloods were ranging from 8.8 to 6.2.
3 days ago, I was just so fed up with feeling sick all day and running to the loo, I threw the head up and refused to take it again. In 3 days, metformin free, my bloods have been ranging from 6.9 - 7.2 - 6.5. This morning it was 7.9 that's the highest it's been but I'm thinking it was maybe just a liver dump, hopefully, because 2 hours later it was down to 6.8 again.
Since coming off the metformin, I have had so much more energy, I feel alive, not sluggish or tired, not hungry, no sickness, no toilet trips and just so much better.
I'm scared to stop them, because I don't want those nasty UTI's to come back, but I need to have some quality of life too. I even cancelled a trip to dentist because I couldn't risk it. That's no way to live.
I'm sticking to my low carb diet for the foreseeable future, probably the rest of my life. Judging by my results, does it look like something that I can do?
I go to see my DN on Friday and he is hell bent on getting me to take the weekly injection. I'm refusing so far because I don't know enough about it yet, which is scary.

Hi Debs, and welcome
Looks to me like you're taking control of your situation, which is a great thing. You seem to be getting some good blood numbers and that's great.
You could ask your GP about slow-releasing metformin. Many folks have similar reactions to metformin so there is a slow-release version (apparently it's more expensive so they try us out on the normal one first).

I'll tag @daisy1 who is a Moderator. She has a standard post full of useful links and info which she'll put on here for you, although by the sound of it you'll already know quite a bit of it!

I was diagnosed 3 months ago. Let me tell you, this place has been a great help to me. Ask any questions you like, and take heart!

Debs1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Geoffrey, the metformin they gave me is already slow release.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. As you are having the SR version and after 6 weeks you are still having problems with it, then like you I would stop it. Some people just can't tolerate it and it only ever has a small effect on blood sugar it's not worth the hassle. With a very low carb diet your weight should be falling off? I guess the only short-term solution is the weekly injection of Victoza or whatever. It does appear to work from forum posts.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi Debs

You have been doing great to get your carbs down to 20g for 6 weeks, esp. while you were so sick with metformin side effects.

As you know from another thread, I'm no fan of the weekly injections based on the serious risks I've read about at Blood Sugar 101. That website seems to suggest basal/bolus MDI carb counting insulin is a good way to go, and it doesn't need to be permanent.
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/15478720.php

I just had a thought... are you sure you aren't getting extra carbs in your food somehow? What sort of things are you eating? Have you lost weight?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Debs1970

Hello Debs and welcome to the forum :) I'm glad you have had some good replies so far. To add to this, here is the information we give to new members as mentioned above, and I hope it will be useful to you. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Rico

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the same as you ,,,I was diagnosed type two a year ago now, and initially was given Metformin ,,,,after 4 days I said enough because I felt so bad ,,,,researched all I could on LCHF diets and was very strict with my diet ,,,after 3 mths, my next A 1C was 5.5 and at diagnosis it was 12.5 ,,,, over the next 3 mths I played with a few different foods to vary my diet a bit, and self tested before and after each new food ,,,,my follow up A1Cs were both below 6.0 and completely controlled by diet ,,,I've had intermittent cheats but keep my overall numbers within range,,, you can do it,,,it's just discipline and planning :)

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi debs, six weeks, my life has changed forever! Like you, uti, blood test, 24.5! 2xmetformin. Lost 8lbs, up to 3 metformin.BG average 8.7. Still bad but moving in the right direction. Apart from the fear it's quite exciting ! New way of life, losing weight,(finally)! Cooking new things, looking at labels for carbs. I'm trying to walk every day, difficult with the car being there. We have no option but to try and pull the reigns on this beast! Don't let it get you down, if you slip( as we all do) learn from it and carry on! All the best in your new journey x

Debs1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much everyone. So happy to have found this forum. In the past 4 days without metformin the highest my blood has been is 8.2 ( had a meal out, too much salad I think ) but all other times it's well below 7, at one point yesterday it was 6. I'm happy coming off metformin because I actually feel better. I am keeping my carbs 20g or under everyday.

Reactions: 7 people

Debs1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, well, quick update, just back from seeing my DN, he really is a lovely guy, and very easy to talk too thankfully. So I showed him my bloods from the last 4 days from when I had stopped the metformin, and he says they were really good and to NOT go back on it. Yayyyyyyy. He said the 2 occasions where the bloods were 7.2 and 7.8 weren't ideal and wasn't too happy about those but apart from that he said I'm doing quite well on my own. He has asked me to have a think about starting either Forxiga ( which causes UTI and thrush so I'm not overly happy about that) and also the injection Bydureon which I know nothing about and I'm going to read up about because someone kindly sent me the link in another topic post. But I'm so happy that he's happy and I'm going to continue doing it my way ( diet and exercise ) for as long as I possibly can. Don't fancy another 45 years being on different drugs etc. off now to make my lovely low carb dinner. Lots of love to u all. X x x x

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi everyone, well, quick update, just back from seeing my DN, he really is a lovely guy, and very easy to talk too thankfully. So I showed him my bloods from the last 4 days from when I had stopped the metformin, and he says they were really good and to NOT go back on it. Yayyyyyyy. He said the 2 occasions where the bloods were 7.2 and 7.8 weren't ideal and wasn't too happy about those but apart from that he said I'm doing quite well on my own. He has asked me to have a think about starting either Forxiga ( which causes UTI and thrush so I'm not overly happy about that) and also the injection Bydureon which I know nothing about and I'm going to read up about because someone kindly sent me the link in another topic post. But I'm so happy that he's happy and I'm going to continue doing it my way ( diet and exercise ) for as long as I possibly can. Don't fancy another 45 years being on different drugs etc. off now to make my lovely low carb dinner. Lots of love to u all. X x x x
That's great to hear. 7.2 and 7.8 are under 7.8 which is the target maximum so I'm not sure why he had an issue with them. Unless they were fasting or before meals? Even then, it's early days and things will improve over time.

Re going on meds, I think it's best to wait until you have reached the 3 month mark and had another HbA1c and fasting BG done by the lab. It's ok to try diet (no meds) for 3 months, it's even in the NICE guidelines I think (it's in the NZ guidelines, which are based on the Scottish ones). Since going off metformin lowered your BGs I would expect them to continue to lower over the next few weeks.

As you probably know, I'm not convinced Forgixa and Bydureon are good options, based on what I've read at Blood Sugar 101, which is based on studies showing various risks. I've probably given you the links before but if you want to see the info just do a search on the website for the drug names.

I think you are making progress - keep up the good work! :)

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too made the decision to stop the Metformin, I was feeling truly awful and my Nurse was not very receptive to trying the SR ones. I havent taken any since Monday and feel so much better! The highest my levels have been have been 8.4, my bad, I was trying some seeded bread as I had run out of Lidls low carb rolls!

I not only feel so much better but also more in control of what I have to do now. I will see what my bloods are like in October, but it would take a lot of convincing to get me back on them now :)

Monitoring is the way to go ;)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I too made the decision to stop the Metformin, I was feeling truly awful and my Nurse was not very receptive to trying the SR ones. I havent taken any since Monday and feel so much better! The highest my levels have been have been 8.4, my bad, I was trying some seeded bread as I had run out of Lidls low carb rolls!

I not only feel so much better but also more in control of what I have to do now. I will see what my bloods are like in October, but it would take a lot of convincing to get me back on them now :)

Monitoring is the way to go ;)
That's a shame that your nurse wasn't keen on SR, because if metformin is benefiting a person and their body would tolerate SR, then they should be given the opportunity to try the treatment if they want to. Cost shouldn't come into it IMO. Metformin has a number of benefits including helping reduce the morning liver dump, protecting the heart, and possibly fighting cancer:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045911.php

The main side effects seem to be gastrointestinal, and longer term supplementation with vitamin B12 and folate may be needed.

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I am concerned about missing any possible benefits but will see how it goes over the next couple of months. I may write to my Doc and ask her :)

Yes Debs, they are yummy, have a look on here, there are pages of posts about them :) Big triangular very dark seeded rolls that taste yummy :):)