Maximum Metformin dosage

KimDaleManor

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone know why I am being told 2000mg of Metformin is now the maximum daily dosage? Last year I was told it was 3000mg per day and prescribed 2700 which worked great. Thanks

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
As far as I know it is 3000mg. You could ask them where they are being told it is 2000mg, as there might have been a change to guidelines that I don't know about yet, but I'd be surprised.

I'm only on 1000mg and have never been prescribed more than that. Are your blood sugars in the normal range?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you will find it depends on whether it is the SR version or not. SR max is 2000mg.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.

Debs6719

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Marmite
I take 3000mg daily and have for 20 years.