Abbott Freestyle Libre

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I want to find out more about the Abbott Freestyle Libre BG Monitor but because of my location (New Zealand) I'm blocked from the UK Abbott websites. I would like to get some feedback on how well it's been accepted and if there is a way I can purchase it from here by mail order. I've learned from the internet that a prescription is not required to purchase but a UK address is necessary. I'd appreciate any help I can get with this. JimMax.

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
@jimmax, just use a VPN to view their website. After postage to NZ, it might be just as cheap to get a cgm

Reactions: 2 people

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@jimmax, just use a VPN to view their website. After postage to NZ, it might be just as cheap to get a cgm

Thanks zjed, that was simple. The starter packs are not available right now and cannot be ordered. I'll have to try later.

I've tried using a loaned cgm and found it useful but the Freestyle Libre is a slightly different machine. The most important thing to me is the two weeks life of the Libre sensor. It also doesn't need calibrating. Uses Near Field Communication which means the sensor only has to sense and store info. It doesn't have to transmit and so has a longer battery life.

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone using the Abbott Freestyle Libre to get an idea of it's accuracy and it's downsides. Thanks, JimMax

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks zjed, that was simple. The starter packs are not available right now and cannot be ordered. I'll have to try later.

I've tried using a loaned cgm and found it useful but the Freestyle Libre is a slightly different machine. The most important thing to me is the two weeks life of the Libre sensor. It also doesn't need calibrating. Uses Near Field Communication which means the sensor only has to sense and store info. It doesn't have to transmit and so has a longer battery life.

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone using the Abbott Freestyle Libre to get an idea of it's accuracy and it's downsides. Thanks, JimMax
It's showing as not available because you have to join the wait list and receive an invitation to purchase. I believe the current wait time is 4-6 months but there are some reports they have stopped accepting new customers until next year.