Type 1 - Anxiety & Crazy B/S

Spacebadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
New to the forum,

Diagnosed when I was 16, so diabetic for ten years now. Recently been suffering some other health problems (suspected labyrinitus), and suffering from anxiety over health symptoms.

Seems like I've lost control over my Diabetes, and I've become an 'over tester'

Hello from me! Ha

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
First off welcome....

How many times are you testing?

Is it a nurse, GP or consultant that is telling you off?

Do you make adjustments to anything from all the testing?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi there,
are you talking about Labyrinthitis, which is an inner ear infection?

A CGM or a freestyle libre may be an option to be considered. They are basically sensors which are put into the skin by the patient and worn for 5 days or longer. They still need finger tests to calibrate the machines.

However CGM's and libre's, are not readily funded unless you have an exceptional CCG and exceptional consultant.

The most important questions are - how many times are you testing and for what purpose..ie too many high readings or low readings etc..How is your diabetes out of control?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Spacebadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A CGM or a freestyle libre may be an option to be considered. They are basically sensors which are put into the skin by the patient and worn for 5 days or longer. They still need finger tests to calibrate the machines.

However CGM's and libre's, are not readily funded unless you have an exceptional CCG and exceptional consultant.

The most important questions are - how many times are you testing and for what purpose..ie too many high readings or low readings etc..How is your diabetes out of control?

Hi

I'm testing Maybe 3 times an hour at an average... Which I'm aware is insane... But I went for many years not testing at all, and just going off the way my body 'felt' - it was only recently after developing other symptoms due to suspected Labyrinthitis that I've begun testing again... And because of the severe symptoms of LAB (diziness, vertigo, sensations of dying) and that being untreated for 8 months I've developed anxiety over my health... But my blood sugars seem unpredictable. I can eat the same things do the same things and my blood sugar will be HIGH and then they will be LOW.

At the moment I'm suffering highs, last night they were at 27 - and i did some extra insulin and managed to get them down to 19 before going to bed... I retested this morning and they are 24 and now have slight ketones in my urine... So I'm off to see the emergency doctor at 8:30.

I feel like I have zero control anymore, and I'm just constantly confused and surprised by results

Spacebadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorrry not a great speller - Labyrinthitis

I'm undergoing hypnotherapy for the anxiety... But not sure if it's helping. I don't want to take medication for the anxiety as I feel it's better to treat the root of it and try and stop my mind from worrying by discipline and therapy rather than drugs, Although it's hard when there are genuine symptoms I have to deal with.

A pump has never appealed to me... But at the moment I'm getting desperate. So I will see what my doctor says.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Spacebadger . I'm sorry to hear about your current health problems. I hope you have some success with the emergency doctor. Please post and let us know how you are. :)

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Good luck spacebadger, we all wish you well - and better health to come. You will get lots of support on the forum and loads of advice on managing your diabetes too. Try not to worry, easier said than done I know but there are loads of us on here in the same boat who got control over their BG levels in time - so will you

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Please let us know how you get on.

When you test 3 times in an hour are you getting any significantly different readings to warrant this qty of tests? Otherwise I would agree with GP. If the tests aren't giving any benefit to act upon then they are excessive.

Levels above 12 sometimes some people like me find we need double the correction dosage to get us back to lower levels..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
A pump delivers insulin but currently the user still has to test and programme it and manage it themselves. Sure if its limked to a cgm it can cut off the insulin supply and the cgm can reduce testing..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
http://www.iddt.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Stress-Anxiety-Depression.pdf .This link has lots of good information and advice, try and have a good read through when you can.
I have had Labyrinthitis, if the nausea is the main problem ask your GP for anti sickness tablets, but this condition should just peter out in time.
A good thing for many life's up's and downs is to write in a diary, it will help you get your thoughts down in black and white and you may also see a pattern emerging.
With your anxiety, I would try getting lots of help, support and guidance from your diabetes team first, which will in turn help to get those levels down, a pump doesn't sound the right move for you at the moment ( I am not on a pump but my consultant said a pump only works well from the user using it, it's not a quick fix). Try to focus on one thing at a time, just take little steps.
I do wish you well and I hope, in time, you will see a brighter future. Good luck and all the very best, RRB

Spacebadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please let us know how you get on.

When you test 3 times in an hour are you getting any significantly different readings to warrant this qty of tests? Otherwise I would agree with GP. If the tests aren't giving any benefit to act upon then they are excessive.

Levels above 12 sometimes some people like me find we need double the correction dosage to get us back to lower levels..

I ended up in hospital... My blood sugar refused to come down. And the ketones started rising. I've been admitted with DKA a few years back, so made sure this time that wouldn't happen.

They seem more regulated now, and I'll be having a good sit down with the DSN.

The over testing has come from the labyrinitus, because I'm always feeling dizzy, I always feel like I'm having a hypo, so I've become unable to know my own body and trust in what's happening.. Which is probably why I ended up in the hospital with high BS and ketones, as I've been over compensating with sugar when it's not been needed.

It's all about getting back on track again now :)

Reactions: 8 people

Spacebadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.iddt.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Stress-Anxiety-Depression.pdf .This link has lots of good information and advice, try and have a good read through when you can.
I have had Labyrinthitis, if the nausea is the main problem ask your GP for anti sickness tablets, but this condition should just peter out in time.
A good thing for many life's up's and downs is to write in a diary, it will help you get your thoughts down in black and white and you may also see a pattern emerging.
With your anxiety, I would try getting lots of help, support and guidance from your diabetes team first, which will in turn help to get those levels down, a pump doesn't sound the right move for you at the moment ( I am not on a pump but my consultant said a pump only works well from the user using it, it's not a quick fix). Try to focus on one thing at a time, just take little steps.
I do wish you well and I hope, in time, you will see a brighter future. Good luck and all the very best, RRB

Thanks for the link. There's some great stuff in there... I'm currently seeing a CBT/Hypnotherapist and generally trying to tell my mind to stop worrying.

I've never felt nauseous from the Lab... although the doctors (ENT and GB) have just said that's what they suspect, but I see a neuroligist at some point as I'm yet to have a diagnosis. My main symptom is a general diziness which is almost constant, which sometimes peaks with Vertigo. Which is why I've developed anxiety as I haven't had any treatment and only recently got all clear from MRI/CAT scan, Echo/EGC and Lung Xray, so I can rule out some of the stuff I was worried about.

Thanks very much for the link, and taking time to reply :)

Reactions: 4 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for posting your news. I'm glad things are getting back on track:)

Reactions: 6 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I think constant dizziness would make anyone on insulin worry that they were going hypo all the time. I wonder if you can get a CGM so you can easily see what your BG is doing without having to test so often?

Reactions: 6 people