New diagnosis for 22month old..

SunnyB

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! I am mummy to a little boy who is 22months and has been diagnosed type 1 for a week now. I don't really know what to say but I feel so over whelmed and sad.. His BMs have been fairly good but had a particularly bad day today with hyper and then hypo.. We are due to go on honeymoon to Turkey on the 14th (with our little one) I'm super nervous but we have made decision together and with our diabetes team that we should go.. Do any of you have little ones around the same age or same age at diagnosis!? thanks for reading if you have!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your little one, I imagine it would feel overwhelming at the start but it will get easier over time. There are several people here who have young children with diabetes, and others who were themselves diagnosed at a young age.

Type 1 diabetes can occur when there is no family history, but if you or your husband have any family history of diabetes, then it may be a good idea to get an HbA1c blood test just as a check, and at regular intervals in the future. Better to know early on if you at risk of developing Type 2. I have a family history of both types and my Type 2 was picked up by routine screening before I had any symptoms.

I'm glad you found the forum as there is a lot of support here and I hope things improve for you and your little boy soon.

I will tag @daisy1 who has some info she can post for people new to the forum.

Reactions: 2 people

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear of the sad news, afraid i cant offer much advice, i can however tell you that i was 10 months old and my mum said yes its tough but you just cope and learn how to manage the condition (she said when i asked her how it was), good luck x

Inky0605

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bless you. It sounds to me like your doing brilliantly with this new and difficult phase of your life. Parenting is overwhelming g enough without these hiccups but you'll get your stride very quickly.

Back when my husband was diagnosed 27 years ago, things were very different in terms of meds and my mother in law had to learn how to inject him with old hypodermic needles etc. he was 12 and the hospital wouldn't let him home until Lynette had successfully injected him. He had to stay an extra 3 days because she was so traumatised by the whole experience.

It's a story my husband chuckles about now because once she'd got used to it she turned into some sort of diabetic mother superstar extraodinaire. It seems to me your well on your way to awesome motherness.

You and your boy will be absolutely fine and I hope you have a lovely honeymoon

Xx

Reactions: 4 people

Ekb1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, so sorry to hear about your little boys diagnosis, hope your all doing as well as you can be at this time. My daughter was diagnosed in January this year, she is 3 coming up to 4 in October. Feel free to message me if you have any questions/advice and I'll do my best to answer them! X

Yaz2009

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi sunnyb my son was diagnosed at 18 months and had dka. He is now 4 years old and we have gone in holidays and it's been fine...in fact his bm were better. I'm so sorry to hear about your lil one....It's hard but you will get stronger each day.