Does Gliclizide minimum dose cause weight gain?

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Does anyone have experience of gaining weight or slower weight loss while taking 40g Gliclazide per day? My weight loss slowed this week and I'm trying to work out if :- it's natural after big losses at start of diet (water) or - my portions are too generous (quite likely) or - its the Gliclazide which I know is notorious for causing weight gain, but surely not on such a small dose. Any info appreciated

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Does anyone have experience of gaining weight or slower weight loss while taking 40g Gliclazide per day? My weight loss slowed this week and I'm trying to work out if :- it's natural after big losses at start of diet (water) or - my portions are too generous (quite likely) or - its the Gliclazide which I know is notorious for causing weight gain, but surely not on such a small dose. Any info appreciated
Not that I have ever come across, but I'm not taking it, just what I've read!
However if your weight loss is stalling, it's probably your body adapting to your new lifestyle, it is natural. Most people experience a plateau whilst low carbing.
Don't worry, it would have to slow down at some time, just keep at it. At least you are still losing weight.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Everyone is different and it's possible that even a small dose could contribute to hunger and weight gain in some people. On the other hand, in my experience of losing and gaining weight over many years, there are always plateaus. Here's some info about the benefits and risks of this drug:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/25311847.php

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the scientific facts catlady and for the encouragement Nosher.

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Gliclazide only normally causes weight gain thru too many carbs. It's job is to stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin to metabolise the carbs. 40mg is a very low dsoe which implies your pancreas is in a good state. Can I ask the reason for you being on Gliclazide? What is your BMI and have you been using Metformin in the past?

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was on Metformin for 8yrs during when I ate all the wrong things (low fat high fibre) due to lack of knowledge but my annual HbaA1c results were fine. Following major bowel surgery recently I could no longer tolerate Metformin and was put on a starter dose of Gliclazide. The 40g dosage has recently been upped by my DNS to 80g but in the meantime I've started testing, found this forum, started low carbing and my BG levels have come down to normal range so I don't intend to take the extra dosage. Don't know my BMI but I need to lose 3.1/2 stones - and talk to my GP to discuss my diabetes.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on Metformin for 8yrs during when I ate all the wrong things (low fat high fibre) due to lack of knowledge but my annual HbaA1c results were fine. Following major bowel surgery recently I could no longer tolerate Metformin and was put on a starter dose of Gliclazide. The 40g dosage has recently been upped by my DNS to 80g but in the meantime I've started testing, found this forum, started low carbing and my BG levels have come down to normal range so I don't intend to take the extra dosage. Don't know my BMI but I need to lose 3.1/2 stones - and talk to my GP to discuss my diabetes.
Hi and thanks. I can understand you can't take Metformin. It sounds like Gliclazide might not be the best alternative. I suspect that if you can keep losing weight thru low-carbing you may be lucky and need no medication.

Reactions: 4 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That is certainly what I'm aiming for Daibell. Thanks for the info