Unexpected events of honeymoon ?

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I wonder how many parent have found that your child has been in honeymoon and you thought you were on the way out of it due to highs and tightening basal and rapid ratios and getting good stable levels to then find all of a sudden you may need to gradually drop back on it all? And your child needs less. Have many experienced this on the way out of honeymoon or in honeymoon period? X

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I wonder how many parent have found that your child has been in honeymoon and you thought you were on the way out of it due to highs and tightening basal and rapid ratios and getting good stable levels to then find all of a sudden you may need to gradually drop back on it all? And your child needs less. Have many experienced this on the way out of honeymoon or in honeymoon period? X

Sorry Gemma, as a T2, I wouldn't like to comment on something so important. I'm just posting to keep the thread in clear sight and to mention that I opened the thread wondering if the "unexpected events of honeymoon" was going to be of the sort arriving 9 months later!

I hope someone comes along shortly to help you out.

Reactions: 2 people

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol @AndBreathe good god I hope not haha! X thanks guys for giving it a bump, I'm just going with it and reducing basal after a conversation with my nurse today. Was more curious really as it just seemed odd doses where now dropping back I expected a spectacular boom of highs any day or an increase every month like it had been going but it's the other way. Strange. Xxx

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol @AndBreathe good god I hope not haha! X thanks guys for giving it a bump, I'm just going with it and reducing basal after a conversation with my nurse today. Was more curious really as it just seemed odd doses where now dropping back I expected a spectacular boom of highs any day or an increase every month like it had been going but it's the other way. Strange. Xxx

This is absolute speculation on my part, so please take no action based upon it, but I might be inclined to speculate that his/her pancreas still has some functionality either always or from time to time, but that continuing functionality improves or weakens from time to time. It must be horrid to watch and control.

Good luck with it all. It's at times like these that I'm so grateful to have been diagnosed T2, rather than T1 (if you get my drift).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I wasn't diagnosed as a child ( in my late teens) but do remember my insulin requirements being up and down for the first year @Gemmablower, all you can do is keep monitoring her bg levels closely and adjust accordingly. Hopefully some parents will be along soon to help out.

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes good point it does make sense, as her pancreas is still functioning slightly where as I thought it was on It's way out for good but I guess that's not always the way it works and it may have some left it's decided to splutter out. unpredictable. A few weeks will be a different story I'm sure of it!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Sorry haven't been on-line much in the past 48hrs and as I'm STILL on mixed insulins I wouldn't like to comment on basal/bolus for a child.

As to the honeymoon period, quacks reckon mine's still going strong. October 8th will mark 1yr since D day. I have noticed though @Gemmablower that a couple of other parents have posted similar articles recently and i wondered if it had anything to do with the young person in question changing routines - starting school holiday, eating at different times, different activity levels, being on vacation in a colder/warmer part of the world than usual etc?

Reactions: 3 people

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's just it she's only just turned 3 so no change to routine activity is the same and not been away yet. It's just odd I suppose it's just one if those things honeymoon can throw at you. @urbanracer that's a long honeymoon, can be tricky though!

twinklystar

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Gemmablower,
my little boy is 3 and he was diagnosed in January this year. I was never told whether he had a honeymoon period or not so Im not entirely sure. When we first brought him home from hospital his carb ratio was 20g per half unit and 4 units of levemir. It took us a while to get his doses right and they did go up and down alot over the first few months. We did have alot of issues with hypos around April so we ended up having to lower his levemir dose to 3 units, despite changing it several times before.
He seems to have settled since then and his carb ratio is 15g per half unit and levemir is 3 units still.
I don't know if any of this has helped but from my experience my sons doses have been up and down since he was diagnosed.

Stacey x

jules_84

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi gemmablower
My son is 11 and was diagnosed August 2014 and is still in his honeymoon period over a year on. It is so confusing and many times I have thought that's it his pancreas has stopped functioning after a few highs then suddenly the hypos start again as his pancreas kicks in and he starts producing. Since we have started carb counting tho we've had much better control but he is still on a 30 carb to 1 unit ratio and 4 units of glargine x

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies and thanks to the moms as it does help to know it can happen in honeymoon. No 2weeks are the same for us here and struggle alot with the lunchtime dose as Somedays she's very sensitive there and others she's not so very tricky. Xxx