There is a cure!!!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for posting that. I needed a laugh to start my day. :)

So, weight loss surgery reduces T2 bg levels to normal, in 50% of patients for up to 5 years (thats how long they've been monitoring), with only minimal use of drugs. Some people relapse.

Whooppee-do!

Newsflash: dietary control can do the same, or better, doesnt require invasive surgery and is a heck of a lot cheaper for the NHS. And doesnt have the potential complications that surgery does.

Of course, the article doesnt give details of the surgery (liposuction counts as weight loss surgery)

Just to be clear: i think weight loss surgery has a very valuable and helpful place in the NHS's armoury. But this article is just plain bonkers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've reduced my BG to non-diabetic levels within 4 months of starting LCHF, without any need for expensive surgery or any of the associated risks. All I needed was a meter and test strips, which the NHS wouldn't pay for since they are too expensive. :confused:

Reactions: 8 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you read Professor Taylor's work, his programme, often referred to as the Newcastle Diet, mimics weightloss surgery, without the nasty anaesthetic, invasive physical challenges and without some of the dreadful, less lauded potential affects of weightloss surgery.

Although I didn't do the ND, I did reduce carbs, and initially calories (by virtue of carb reduction), although not to the lower levels employed by the ND. I was diagnosed in October 2013, and my HbA1cs have been well under the diabetes threshold since the next available test in February 2014.

Personally, I managed to do that with surgery or any medication whatsoever, so I can't get too excited about joining any queues for surgery.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Typical of the NHS to spend £1000s on surgery when the right diet would help many. As many of us already know that means keeping the carbs down and not worrying about calories as Prof Taylor does. I think the ND isn't the best match to the needs of diabetes as it's focussed on calories.

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm starting to think a lot of diabetics that are T2 and very over weight ..are not T2 in the full sense of the T2 ... In my case I think I gained so much weight eating the advised so called 'healthy eating' that I simply out grew my pancreas ability to cope with my body size .. There for when I lost weight (LCHF) I am able to eat carbs again without impacting on my sugar levels .. But I love my low carb high fat diet am not going back to healthy eating

Therefore anything that reduces body size would work in the 'reversal' of T2 diabetes, as and I do not mean all cases .. Have just outgrown their body. If this is found to be true then I feel that this overweight group of diabetes ( my self included in this group) should not be classed as T2 ..it's unfair on those with impaired pancreatic function. Let's consider a T3 .... Then if the reduced body size has not restored normal pancreatic function.. Then the T2 title is appropriate.....

Hope I am not derailing this thread ... If I am dear moderator..please do remove to its own thread

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm starting to think a lot of diabetics that are T2 and very over weight ..are not T2 in the full sense of the T2 ... In my case I think I gained so much weight eating the advised so called 'healthy eating' that I simply out grew my pancreas ability to cope with my body size .. There for when I lost weight (LCHF) I am able to eat carbs again without impacting on my sugar levels .. But I love my low carb high fat diet am not going back to healthy eating

Therefore anything that reduces body size would work in the 'reversal' of T2 diabetes, as and I do not mean all cases .. Have just outgrown their body. If this is found to be true then I feel that this overweight group of diabetes ( my self included in this group) should not be classed as T2 ..it's unfair on those with impaired pancreatic function. Let's consider a T3 .... Then if the reduced body size has not restored normal pancreatic function.. Then the T2 title is appropriate.....

Hope I am not derailing this thread ... If I am dear moderator..please do remove to its own thread

Enclave - There's already a Type 3 Diabetes:- http://www.diabetes.co.uk/type3-diabetes.html , and a Type 3c: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/31/Supplement_2/S165.full , so best move along to Type 4.

I've always called diabetes a portfolio disease.

Sorry !! Off topic, I know.