Leg Cramps

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was ill last week and my BG was running high (10 to 14 ish). I am feeling a little better but my BG last night was 15 and fasting today was 9. I was fairly active yesterday so this was a surprise. My numbers seem to be creeping up. I went to bed for an hour because I was feeling dodgy and I am having horrible leg and foot cramps that are almost bringing me to tears. I am imagining this is related to my BG? Any advice on how to stop them? My legs feel like they are turning outside in.

Staying in bed and trying to take my mind off things with Netflix. Not the Saturday I was hoping for... Meh... :(:(:(

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I had these cramps for 9 months before they realised I was Type 1! NOTHING stopped them! Every night I only managed about 3 hours sleep because the cramps had me running up and down the hallway, standing barefoot on cold tiles, drinking gallons of tonic water (for the quinine) and trying to stretch muscles I didn't know I had till they went into spasm! The gps put me on quinine tabs and that did cut down the severity of the cramps but I still got them every night. Eventually a friend insisted I take in a urine specimen in to the surgery and it was on testing this and finding ketones off the scale that they realised I was diabetic, A Blood prick test showed 28 before lunch. Only when I went onto insulin and got my sugars down to the 6ish area did the cramps disappear. So perhaps the time has come to go onto insulin. Talk to your Diabetic team asap. Meanwhile keep up your water intake.

Reactions: 2 people

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I tested my urine and there was no ketones, thankfully. I have my hba1c coming up so I will try and get that asap.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Are you on 2000mg a day of ordinary metformin or metformin SR? The max dose for ordinary metformin is 3000mg.

I'm not sure increasing the dose would do much, but it might be worth a try. See what your HCP thinks about the idea obviously.

viv k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi EveryCloud, I wasn't sure if it was a coincidence, menopause or high BGs, but I had been having horrible leg cramps in the last few months, not just the common calf muscle ones, but down the front of my legs and across my feet. I got scared to even move my toes in bed in case it started them off, and unlike the calf muscle ones, I couldn't stretch to get them to go, it was just pace and rub and cry a bit and eventually find a position where it eased off and then not move. Since getting my BGs out of double figures at bedtime it hasn't happened, so I am guessing it might be connected. It happened even after long hikes, so I don't think it was lack of exercise.
When it hurts that much, you want to try whatever you can to get it to stop, so be pushy with whoever is helping you with your diabetes so you can get your BGs into target range. Don't be scared of injecting insulin if thats what you need, compared to the pain of bad leg cramps the insulin needle is 100x less, you hardly feel it.

Reactions: 7 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi EveryCloud, I wasn't sure if it was a coincidence, menopause or high BGs, but I had been having horrible leg cramps in the last few months, not just the common calf muscle ones, but down the front of my legs and across my feet. I got scared to even move my toes in bed in case it started them off, and unlike the calf muscle ones, I couldn't stretch to get them to go, it was just pace and rub and cry a bit and eventually find a position where it eased off and then not move. Since getting my BGs out of double figures at bedtime it hasn't happened, so I am guessing it might be connected. It happened even after long hikes, so I don't think it was lack of exercise.
When it hurts that much, you want to try whatever you can to get it to stop, so be pushy with whoever is helping you with your diabetes so you can get your BGs into target range. Don't be scared of injecting insulin if thats what you need, compared to the pain of bad leg cramps the insulin needle is 100x less, you hardly feel it.

Hi @EveryCloud,

I see from your signature that you take Lisinopril. Muscle cramps & joint pain, especially at night, have been reported by some users. It is a recognised side effect. It may be helpful to discuss this with your GP to see if there's an alternative for you instead. If the discomfort in your leg muscles is so bad that it's almost bringing you to tears, then that's reason enough to be reviewed by a doctor. Here's a link: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/lisinopril-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20069129 I hope you're feeling brighter & pain free very soon. Best wishes.

Reactions: 3 people

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Just bought tonic water hoping to reduce cramps at night ,blamed statins and have been off them a week but still cramping so finding this thread reassuring

Reactions: 6 people

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you on 2000mg a day of ordinary metformin or metformin SR? The max dose for ordinary metformin is 3000mg.

I'm not sure increasing the dose would do much, but it might be worth a try. See what your HCP thinks about the idea obviously.
Hey, sorry for the delay in replying I am on the regular metformin, still getting slight craps, but I got my bloods done yesterday and have an appointment with the nurse next week for the results.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Avoid aspartame too..