I'm a "fairly" newbie Type 1, so please bear with me ...

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
Hi everyone. Although I joined the forum after being diagnosed as T1 in October last year, I've been too shy to introduce myself. Have found this site so very beneficial and really enjoy and learn loads from all your comments and queries. Thank goodness for such a positive thing in a somewhat bleak aftermath of going into hospital for an operation and coming home with diabetes instead of a gall bladder!

Reactions: 8 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its great that you have built up the courage to introduce yourself and even better to know you are finding the forum a positive place to be. Look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Reactions: 4 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Welcome to you.

Lots of experience on here.

Anything you want to know or debate your'll get it here.

Welcome once more :)

Reactions: 4 people

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks all of you for lovely welcome. OK, my very first query, particularly for those who are on twice-daily injections. I am on Humulin M3 and inject 12 units of insulin before breakfast, and again 11 before tea. Do any of you find that as the day goes on it's harder to maintain a decent BS reading by deliberately not eating anything substantial for lunch? I only have a sugar-free plain yoghurt and add about 1 chopped up strawberry, or half a dozen frozen blueberries along with a broken up plain Belvita biscuit or some walnuts. I really want to have a sandwich but find it takes ages for my BS to go back down to around the 5.1 - 5.6 mark which I'm comfortable with. I have to do strenuous activity to achieve that and I can be an idle bummer when I get home from work!

Matt J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all of you for lovely welcome. OK, my very first query, particularly for those who are on twice-daily injections. I am on Humulin M3 and inject 12 units of insulin before breakfast, and again 11 before tea. Do any of you find that as the day goes on it's harder to maintain a decent BS reading by deliberately not eating anything substantial for lunch? I only have a sugar-free plain yoghurt and add about 1 chopped up strawberry, or half a dozen frozen blueberries along with a broken up plain Belvita biscuit or some walnuts. I really want to have a sandwich but find it takes ages for my BS to go back down to around the 5.1 - 5.6 mark which I'm comfortable with. I have to do strenuous activity to achieve that and I can be an idle bummer when I get home from work!

I would be absolutely starving on that. I was on twice daily Humulin Isophane for a year after diagnosis in 1986 before switching to the then new MDI and although it was a long time ago the level of control between the two regimens doesn't compare. I'm sure you would get much better control on MDI along with a less restrictive diabetic life. Is it something you have considered?

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks so much for comments. Whilst in the earlier days I did ask the Diabetic Nurse about changing, the only option I was made aware of was going on to a "carb counting" regime, where I took my dosages after working out how much I would or did eat. Have remained on Humulin since. I haven't heard of MDI - sounds good - yet is it a carb-counting regime or more daily injections? I've always been of the habit of eating small portions but often, and this 3 meals a day regime started off very hard, although I did get kinda used to it, but by god you're right, sometimes I am starving and would love to eat as normal as poss. Would be very interested to hear from anyone willing to share what their daily diet (and size of meals) they have so that I can get an idea if I'm under or over taking portions!!

Matt J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's both. MDI (multiple daily injections) along with carb counting means you adjust your short acting (bolus) insulin dose to suit whatever carbs are in your meals. Normally means 3 short acting injections (for 3 meals) and 1 or 2 long acting (basal) injections a day. It does however give you flexibility. I wouldn't recommend the following until you know what you are doing and have spoken to your diabetes team but it does mean you can skip meals or have more meals!, take them at different times and correct with a correction dose if you get it wrong. I use NovoRapid (bolus) and Levemir (basal) which is a fairly common combination. It sounds as if your DN was talking of MDI.

I'm probably not the best to give advice on carb counting as I'm a bit old school and started off on something similar called carbohydrate exchanges and now through experience tend to wing it with a bit of luck and judgement.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Glad you have joined- if you know what I mean ....

Is your DSN aware of your small amount of food to try to keep your levels low?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
T1 insulin should be around your lifestyle. Ie I eat once a day.. So I was on a pump for a while but back on MDI now. My consultant and nurse don't care that I eat once a day - they just want a regime that fits my eating habits. I don't eat a lot so my regime was tailored around my life style.

I have had consultants wanting to change my eating previously but extra carbs for breakfast piled on weight and also they know now that I cannot eat them die to slow colonic transit.

Basically it would have made sense for your clinicians to base your insulin around your eating (unless you needed to lose weight etc) than making you change.

All T1's as of August should be offered basal bolus so it should not be too awkward to get a change if you need it.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
(I'm T2) and I eat a lower carb higher/full fat diet based on about 100-150g of carbs a day. I find this is best for my BGs and weight management. From what I've read here, it's also an approach that can be good for T1s.

For breakfast I have a good sized bowl of full fat greek natural yoghurt, with about 3/4 cup of berries, 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed, and a splash of double cream. I find this provides enough calories and a sense of satisfaction (from the added fat) that keeps me going for hours. If I have time, alternatively I have 2 large scrambled eggs with cream or cheese, mushrooms, and bacon or low carb sausages. Also very filling and satisfying, while low carb.

For lunch or dinner I have a big plate of homemade coleslaw or lettuce-based salad with grated cheese or shredded chicken or tinned salmon. Or a piece of meat/chicken/fish with steamed veges. For snacks I eat cheese or a boiled egg, sometimes with salami, ham or bacon.

Just thought I'd share my example and that it's possible to eat enough to feel full without spiking your blood sugars by too much.

Reactions: 2 people

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Much appreciated comments folks. I tend to aim for low carb, high fibre food stuff and don't really take much heed of fat content, though I know it should be given as much consideration as other nutrients. My BMI is under what it should be for my height (5ft 4 and approx. 6st 8lbs), which hasn't really altered much in last few years. I don't have a sweet tooth, but do so love savoury pastries and scones/breads, and am big on tinned Mackerel/Tuna/Salmon and chicken. Oh, well, now for cup of black coffee while watching Italy fighting Bulgaria at footie!