Lidl High Protein Low Carb Rolls

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not even going to try them, though I do go to Lidl for organic bananas for husband. Bread just isn't low carb.
www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
They are high protein low carb rolls and have little effect on bg but each to their own as to if they try them or not. They are simply a good chunk of bread that can be tolerated by most of us which is a plus for any that miss bread badly :)

Reactions: 2 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
They are high protein low carb rolls and have little effect on bg
I'm living proof that they can spike the old BG. These rolls can obviously be good for a lot of people and that's great, but they're not for everyone. They ain't for me, and that's for sure.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm living proof that they can spike the old BG. These rolls can obviously be good for a lot of people and that's great, but they're not for everyone. They ain't for me, and that's for sure.
As I have always said....it is up to the individual if they want to or can eat them. You only tried one so they may have suited you if you had been prepared to try half of one first and then repeat that until you could gauge a true reaction. Either way...it's fine if you don't eat them...and great for those that can :)

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
I love them and they don`t effect my bgs at all ,i wouldn`t go back to normal bread even if i could

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As I have always said....it is up to the individual if they want to or can eat them. You only tried one so they may have suited you if you had been prepared to try half of one first and then repeat that until you could gauge a true reaction. Either way...it's fine if you don't eat them...and great for those that can :)

I can't say I'm enjoying the inference that I somehow ate these rolls "wrong". I didn't. It's a bread roll. I ate a roll with other fats & protein and it didn't work so I reported it. It's just a bread roll - if a bread roll doesn't suit then we should be grown up enough to acknowledge that without adding extra caveats like "you only had one" or "if you had been prepared to try half". If I'd struggled with half then what about a quarter or an eighth, sixteenth or a crumb? And as for only having one, how many spikes would be acceptable evidence for you? This is ludicrous. I tried one and it didn't work for me. Are you their marketing department or something?

I don't decry these things. I only tried them because of the favourable reports on here and they taste well enough. But unless I'm a complete freak then I can say that they don't work for everyone. It's a shame but it's true and I'd be remiss not to say so.

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't say I'm enjoying the inference that I somehow ate these rolls "wrong". I didn't. It's a bread roll. I ate a roll with other fats & protein and it didn't work so I reported it. It's just a bread roll - if a bread roll doesn't suit then we should be grown up enough to acknowledge that without adding extra caveats like "you only had one" or "if you had been prepared to try half". If I'd struggled with half then what about a quarter or an eighth, sixteenth or a crumb? And as for only having one, how many spikes would be acceptable evidence for you? This is ludicrous. I tried one and it didn't work for me. Are you their marketing department or something?

I don't decry these things. I only tried them because of the favourable reports on here and they taste well enough. But unless I'm a complete freak then I can say that they don't work for everyone. It's a shame but it's true and I'd be remiss not to say so.
Haven't laughed so much in ages!

Reactions: 5 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Each to their own but bread isn't low carb and people who can eat bread shouldn't be looking down on people who can't eat bread.

It's a low carb diet board not an all you can eat bread buffet.

What next, people sneering at people who don't eat pasta. Regardless of weight, we all got sick with diabetes because genetically we have a pre-disposition to developing diabetes on a low fat high carb diet or something triggered our immune system to start attacking beta cells.

I don't see how anyone can justify telling someone off for not eating something which makes their BG up. It's actually far more sensible to not eat carby stuff.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For the record this is not a low carb diet board....it is a thread about Lidl Rolls....love them or hate them ....eat them or don't eat them....each to their own....I really don't mind either way.........**un watches thread **

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyMc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another very satisfied customer here, Thanks everyone for bringing these to my attention - would never have found them otherwise.

I cut them in two, freeze them, then have half a roll toasted for breakfast every morning with butter and a slice of cheese. BG readings seem consistent with the claimed 5 g or so of carbs per half roll, i.e. very little impact. Fingers crossed they keep selling them.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Geoffers, I'm not making comment on what anyone has said, or how you feel, but making a general point about how our bodies can react in a more extreme way than we might expect when we introduce, or reintroduce a food to our diets.

It's probably worthwhile Googling "Last meal effect and diabetes, and having a read, if you haven't come across it before.

The upshot is that often the initial consumption of a food can moderate if the process is repeated, although that doesn't hold true for everything, obviously.

As for the rolls? I can take or leave them to be honest.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Geoffers, I'm not making comment on what anyone has said, or how you feel, but making a general point about how our bodies can react in a more extreme way than we might expect when we introduce, or reintroduce a food to our diets.

It's probably worthwhile Googling "Last meal effect and diabetes, and having a read, if you haven't come across it before.

The upshot is that often the initial consumption of a food can moderate if the process is repeated, although that doesn't hold true for everything, obviously.

As for the rolls? I can take or leave them to be honest.
I didn't know that, and in that case maybe I shouldn't have bitten Gezzabelle's head off. Even so - it's not right to be quite so dismissive of someone's direct experience.

As for the rolls - it was a +3.5 spike after two hours. It's not worth the effort to bring that down to something acceptable. However, do you think the process you described could be applied to beer? I could experiment with repetitions of that quite happily :p

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Each to their own but bread isn't low carb and people who can eat bread shouldn't be looking down on people who can't eat bread.

It's a low carb diet board not an all you can eat bread buffet.

What next, people sneering at people who don't eat pasta. Regardless of weight, we all got sick with diabetes because genetically we have a pre-disposition to developing diabetes on a low fat high carb diet or something triggered our immune system to start attacking beta cells.

I don't see how anyone can justify telling someone off for not eating something which makes their BG up. It's actually far more sensible to not eat carby stuff.

I didn't develop diabetes on a low fat diet, that was for sure!

But the Lidl rolls seem ok now.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Wanted to share a photo of the Lidl Protein Roll as we had a few people asking what it looks like as they want to buy one!

2WPXokm.jpg

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally don't like the Lidl rolls never been much of a bread lover but I am really happy for those who do that they have found some bread they can eat again I am sure with most people bread was quite a big part of their diet...I know it was for my husband before T2 he was a real sandwich addict... to have to give it up completely was really hard so hurrah for the Lidl rolls bread is back on the menu for those who can eat them so enjoy them and I hope Lidl keep on baking them