Daytime Driving Only

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morning,
Just wondering if anyone else has been told after having a medical for renewal of Driving licence that
they are only allowed to drive during Daylight hours and not at Night.
Daytime is said to be "Half an hour after Sunrise until Half an hour before Sunset.
It beats me.......I only use glasses for reading and my long distance vision is al lot better than that.
Is it my age thats the problem?...I am 77.....or the fact I am type 2 Diabetic (Non Insulin)......
I have a no claims record of about 50 years......so whats the reasoning behind this Decision.
So far....no explanation given.......and none forthcoming as far as I can tell......Curious!
Appreciate your thoughts and comments......
Pensionistamike.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So difficult to speculate why the DVLA have come to this decision, all I can suggest you do is ring or write to them and ask for a full explanation.

Good luck.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Good Morning,
Just wondering if anyone else has been told after having a medical for renewal of Driving licence that
they are only allowed to drive during Daylight hours and not at Night.
Daytime is said to be "Half an hour after Sunrise until Half an hour before Sunset.
It beats me.......I only use glasses for reading and my long distance vision is al lot better than that.
Is it my age thats the problem?...I am 77.....or the fact I am type 2 Diabetic (Non Insulin)......
I have a no claims record of about 50 years......so whats the reasoning behind this Decision.
So far....no explanation given.......and none forthcoming as far as I can tell......Curious!
Appreciate your thoughts and comments......
Pensionistamike.

Forgive my flippancy, but I can almost see the Daily Express headline, 'Diabetics under curfew' !

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They'll no doubt put an electronic tag round your ankle as well :mad:
I hope you get to the bottom of this since I'm heading towards your age. I may have to give up driving and take to my bicycle and then they'll wish they'd let me carry on driving.

Reactions: 4 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
wow did not realise they could put people under a curfew ???

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am almost 70 and on insulin just sent my license back to get the new one which you have to renew at 70 years of age...i been working in the care field so out from 7am untill upto 9 at night good job I finish this weekend and still not got my license back yet grrrrrrrrrrrr been sent off almost a month now, they sent all the paperwork back but not the license yet :blackeye:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
wow did not realise they could put people under a curfew ???
If you have an eye condition that stops you seeing in the dark then yes you have a restricted licence. A friends brother has this restriction on his licence and has done so for many years. I can't remember what condition he has but he is quite happy is allowed to drive at all.

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree...(.it would be silly not to).....if you cannot see in the dark then you dont drive.......but I can see in the dark!
I have an annual eye test at my local Hospital in March........the outcome was that for a Diabetic of my age the
condition showed no immediate problems but there were signs of cataracts which would probably need removing
in 18 months to 2 years time........not necessary at this time.
I wish anyone who attempts to contact the DLA by whatever means......the best of British......I do believe they possibly
instigated he art of "Passo Bucko"

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
........the outcome was that for a Diabetic of my age the
condition showed no immediate problems but there were signs of cataracts which would probably need removing
in 18 months to 2 years time........not necessary at this time.
Ah there's your answer then the glare of headlights can distort your vision when you have cataracts. If it was only one eye affected then you would be fine. As both eyes have cataracts the DVLA are playing safe.
Cataracts can be removed at any stage so if not being able to drive at night causes major problems ask that they be removed asp.

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Hospital has already replied to my request by informing me I am
"On the List"

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The last time I had to renew my license, I asked my optician if I should say I have a cataract in both eyes (she had told me a week before that she could see a cataract in my left as well as the one I'd had for a couple of years in my right eye).

She told me not to say anything to DVLA as this would just open a can of worms. She said that, as my cataracts were in the early stages, it was perfectly safe for me to drive.

Unfortunately for you, she said that once they get a note about you they don't forget it easily.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
She told me not to say anything to DVLA as this would just open a can of worms. She said that, as my cataracts were in the early stages, it was perfectly safe for me to drive.
What she told you isn't correct and very unprofessional. https://www.gov.uk/cataracts-and-driving basically your licence is invalid as is your insurance.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Have you noticed that it says, "you may have to tell"? As my optician says I'm safe to drive, then I am.

I think you should have read past the first line before you chose to chastise somebody!

It states clearly :-
Cataracts in 1 eye
You don’t need to tell DVLA as long as you don’t have a medical condition in the other eye.

Have you noticed that it reads.......

"Cataracts in both eyes
You must tell DVLA. Fill in form V1 and send it to them. The address is on the form."

"Must" being the operative word here.

I fully agree with @CarbsRok in that your insurance is now invalid.

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-30_17-36-21.png
    upload_2015-9-30_17-36-21.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 407
  • upload_2015-9-30_17-38-38.png
    upload_2015-9-30_17-38-38.png
    8 KB · Views: 372

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you should have read past the first line before you chose to chastise somebody!

It states clearly :-
Cataracts in 1 eye
You don’t need to tell DVLA as long as you don’t have a medical condition in the other eye.

Have you noticed that it reads.......

"Cataracts in both eyes
You must tell DVLA. Fill in form V1 and send it to them. The address is on the form."

"Must" being the operative word here.

I fully agree with @CarbsRok in that your insurance is now invalid.
I just hope (1) you dont have an accident and (2) that your Optician did not put the correct diagnosis
in your file otherwise you could both be in trouble.