Approved Help out a Trainee Pharmacist?

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed as T1 11 years ago and originally on the traditional lantus and novorapid concoction however due my my job (nurse working shifts) I found the Lantus too inflexible as I couldn't alter it effectively for my shift patterns, any change take a few days to take effect. Due to this and dawn phenomenon I changed to BD levemir, It meant I could flip my bolus doses around for my night shifts and the change was fairly immediate. It also mean I could take a higher dose at night to try and combat the dawn phenomenon. I did this for several years until my team eventually persuaded me to try a pump. I now have multiple basal rates throughout the day with the ability to use temporary basal rates if my activity levels change. I also have a different basal pattern set for my night shifts. This has meant my HbA1c has dropped from around 8.5% to 7% (coming down slowly at each test!) It also means that I can have more control over my glucose and am slowly getting out of the habit of running higher at work from the fear of going hypo at a very inappropriate time! I am at a higher risk of DKA as there is no long acting insulin on board so if my supply is interrupted, for example cannula or site issues or pump malfunction (rare!) then I have no insulin in my system as it's only short acting insulin used in pumps. To identify any issues I have to commit to testing several times a day (average 6-10 depending on activity level, driving etc)
I hope this is useful!

Reactions: 4 people

MaryCanary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a recently-diagnosed Type 2, diet controlled for now. I also have lymphoedema, and a couple of months ago I developed a sudden and severe cellulitis in the affected arm. At first I was treated for septicaemia with three aggressive antibiotics (Vancomycin, Gentomycin and Clindimycin, all by IV, for six days, Then my veins collapsed and they took me off the IVs and gave me oral Clindimycin and sent me home. Then I developed a huge reaction - my skin was covered in a measles-like rash from head to foot so I had to come off the oral tablets too. I went to the optician a month later, complaining that my eyesight had suddenly become blurry. She spotted 'diabetic changes' to the back of my eye and sent me to the doc for blood tests. Of course, the bloods revealed high glucose levels and I was sent away with instructions to change my diet and take more exercise.

The reason I am telling you all this is because it has been suggested to me by medics in my family that it was the 'insults' that my body had suffered that had raised my glucose levels, though the condition had probably been developing anyway.

I have had a couple of hypos since drastically changing my diet. Both times I felt faint, my mouth tingled, I felt an impending sense of doom and I had to lie down before I fell down. The first time, I was actually having my blood pressure taken by the diabetic nurse and she said my BP was extremely low, and made me lie down and eat some glucose tablets. The next time, I was in a shop and I was quite scared. I always carry glucose tablets with me now.

The diet I am on is the Low Carb High Fat diet. I am taking almost no carbs at the moment, trying to reverse this damned disease!

Regarding pharmacists, I have been in hospital quite a few times and unfortunately I have found that they generally take several hours to send up the meds to the ward before discharge. This means an awful lot of hanging about before you can go home. I have often wondered why this happens. Other than that, no complaints!

Reactions: 3 people

BluePharma

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just want to give everyone a big thank you - I gave my presentation to the techs today and it all went well. The stories and examples you've all given me really helped to support their learning. I've been asked to give another presentation to a larger audience of slightly more qualified technicians and no doubt your input will come in useful again!

Best wishes to all

Reactions: 6 people

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just want to give everyone a big thank you - I gave my presentation to the techs today and it all went well. The stories and examples you've all given me really helped to support their learning. I've been asked to give another presentation to a larger audience of slightly more qualified technicians and no doubt your input will come in useful again!

Best wishes to all
What did you talk about in the end? Glad it went well!