Fun with a bad box...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
After assuming that I was going down with something due to high bg levels, the symptoms hadn't come on by this morning.

As a result I decided to change the relatively new insulin cartridge for another to see if that was where the issue lay.

Throughout the day, I've been dosing far higher ratios than I would have expected, so I flipped to a new pen and cartridge, and still didn't see any change.

When I moved to a different box of cartridges, Lo and behold everything started to work.

Scary stuff that changes don't always work, and wholesale ones are sometimes needed. That a whole pack was off I hope is uncommon, especially when they hadn't been treated differently!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
After assuming that I was going down with something due to high bg levels, the symptoms hadn't come on by this morning.

As a result I decided to change the relatively new insulin cartridge for another to see if that was where the issue lay.

Throughout the day, I've been dosing far higher ratios than I would have expected, so I flipped to a new pen and cartridge, and still didn't see any change.

When I moved to a different box of cartridges, Lo and behold everything started to work.

Scary stuff that changes don't always work, and wholesale ones are sometimes needed. That a whole pack was off I hope is uncommon, especially when they hadn't been treated differently!
Wow, that is scary stuff... if you weren't an experienced insulin user you could get into a bit of strife with insulin that is "off", I imagine.

iHs

Can't say that I've ever had a problem with suspected insulin being 'off' as I always kept my pen cartridges in the door pocket of my fridge and just took out 1 cartridge about 12hrs before I was going to use it in my pen. My vials are also stored in the fridge and I just fill up pump cartridges using cold insulin and get them upto body temp to allow for air bubbles before inserting them in the pump.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
In 54 years I have never had any bad insulin and in that time I've used quite a few different insulins

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a bad box a few months ago. It hadn't been stored correctly at the chemist's. Few people use cartridges here (in Dk) and they're kept in a different, less accessible fridge. Since then, I only go to the main chemist.