Collapsed:How low is too low

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Thank you for your input, any insight is appreciated. The only reason I didnt consider BP was because the first time I went down on the ground I sat there for a few minutes before getting up but upon standing I started going down straight away which is when Rose grabbed the chair for me to sit on and I had the sugar straight away and then I felt instantly better. If it was BP shouldnt it have come right after sitting down for a couple of minutes the first time. Hopefuĺly the doctor can shed some light on it.

sugar would take time to work also

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
below 4 is a low blood sugar and below 5 you are not supposed to drive and they will take your license away

I am T2, and take no medications whatsoever. My license is not in danger.

"4's the floor and 5 to drive" only apply to those on insulin or similar drugs. And I can reassure you that is according to a Consultant in Diabetes, in UK.

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/455115/INF188X2_080413.pdf

It's not number specific.
It's not treatment specific either.
It depends on what you hypo at, and need assistance.
And what complications you have.

For completeness, I have never had a hypo in my life, even at pretty low numbers, but everyone can be assured if I felt unwell, at the wheel at any time, I would pull over as soon as I possibly could.

Do you test prior to driving and every 2 hours in a journey?

@ronialive - Bearing in mind most T2s are told not to test, just how would they know if they were 5, 4 or any other number for that matter?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For completeness, I have never had a hypo in my life, even at pretty low numbers, but everyone can be assured if I felt unwell, at the wheel at any time, I would pull over as soon as I possibly could.

Do you test prior to driving and every 2 hours in a journey?

@ronialive - Bearing in mind most T2s are told not to test, just how would they know if they were 5, 4 or any other number for that matter?

Read the official government link.
Maybe your consultant has confused you, as there is no requirement.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Read the official government link.
Maybe your consultant has confused you, as there is no requirement.

I've read it, thanks. It doesn't alter the guidance the Consultant I spoke to gives, and if you read any of the T1 driving threads, you would note his guidance aligns with many, many other, similarly qualified professionals.

Anyone driving when they feel unwell, suspecting a hypo is quite bonkers.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've read it, thanks. It doesn't alter the guidance the Consultant I spoke to gives, and if you read any of the T1 driving threads, you would note his guidance aligns with many, many other, similarly qualified professionals.

Anyone driving when they feel unwell, suspecting a hypo is quite bonkers.

Yes, that is unfortunately a common mistake.

The reality is there is no differentiation between T1 and T2 .
If you did have to treat any form of diabetes with insulin,
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/401828/INF250_030215.pdf
gives guidance in that instance.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sure it's not an argument.

I'm just posting the facts on the official link, I'm sure you agree it helps to clarify things when needed.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My BP is normally 170/80 but it is now 138/70 so a bit of a drop so it might be affecting me slightly. Dr doesnt have any idea what may have caused me to collapse so I have to wait for the results of my blood test to see if anything shows ip. ECG was fine as well.
I'm glad your BP has dropped but you need to try to keep it under 130/180 as much of the time as possible. How long was it up around 170/80?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My BP has been that high for most of my adult life, it has never been in the normal range as far as I know. I have always had high eye pressure readings as well.

Mikey1209

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you had your meter tested. I had a low of 3.6 but with no symptoms of a Hypo. Tested 2 minutes later and it was 7.4. I got a new meter and haven't experienced any hypo's since

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My BP has been that high for most of my adult life, it has never been in the normal range as far as I know. I have always had high eye pressure readings as well.
Normally a doctor would prescribe medication to get the blood pressure down, and it's especially important in diabetes. Have you tried BP medications?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep I was put on BP medication when I was diagnosed but I stopped taking all medication in November. I have been working on controlling BP, cholesterol and diabetes with diet and lifestyle changes.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yep I was put on BP medication when I was diagnosed but I stopped taking all medication in November. I have been working on controlling BP, cholesterol and diabetes with diet and lifestyle changes.
Do you get your BP checked regularly and do you have a timeframe for deciding whether diet and lifestyle changes are enough to keep your BP down? A couple of years ago I went off my BP meds and at my next blood test a couple of months later I had signs of early kidney damage. So I went back on them and my kidney tests have been fine since. Sorry for all the questions I'm just a bit worried about you, and we Kiwis have to look out for each other, lol.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest I havnt even given my BP a second thought. My BS is under control and my cholesterol is getting better with each blood test but I have not worried too much about my BP as whenever I have gone in for my blood tests with the nurse she hasnt bothered to check it so I didnt think it was too important. One of the pharmacies in town sometimes has a BP monitor and you can check your own so I might start going in there more often to check it. Im not too sure if it is free to wander into your Drs surgery to get it randomly checked or if there would be a fee to pay. I think the cut off point for myself would be Feb of next year and if it isnt working I will go back on medication if need be.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To be honest I havnt even given my BP a second thought. My BS is under control and my cholesterol is getting better with each blood test but I have not worried too much about my BP as whenever I have gone in for my blood tests with the nurse she hasnt bothered to check it so I didnt think it was too important. One of the pharmacies in town sometimes has a BP monitor and you can check your own so I might start going in there more often to check it. Im not too sure if it is free to wander into your Drs surgery to get it randomly checked or if there would be a fee to pay. I think the cut off point for myself would be Feb of next year and if it isnt working I will go back on medication if need be.
That's quite poor of your nurse not to check it whenever you are there. Your Dr's surgery might do it for free, especially since your nurse hasn't been doing it. If there is a fee I think it would only be $10-15 at most surgeries. I'd suggest asking for it to be checked every time you see your nurse. High BP is at least as risky for your health as high BG or high LDL/Trigs are. It can cause stroke, heart disease and poor kidney function. It also affects BGs and lipids, which is why the target for diabetics is under 130/80, while for other people it's 140/90.

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on Perindolpril for elevated BP, which have responded. I'm off statins as they do affect my liver function and my last reading was 7.9... I check my BP every time I pick up my BP drugs, surgery has a room with a machine. Last discussion with GP suggested I come off / reduce perindolpril, (as am running at below 120 and below 80) and she said, it was good for my heart, enlarged left side, and also had protective properties for kidneys and suggested I stayed with them. I would say I am more concerned about my BP than my lipids...

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to be on Enalapril and I never had any problems but I stopped all 3 medications at once. I will review everything with my Dr in Feb and see if I need to go back on my BP meds. Im not so keen to go back on Simvastatin though.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to be on Enalapril and I never had any problems but I stopped all 3 medications at once. I will review everything with my Dr in Feb and see if I need to go back on my BP meds. Im not so keen to go back on Simvastatin though.
With you there and it sounds like a good plan.