Can I take protein powder as supplement?

The Rumon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I badly want to gain weights. I am underweight now. if I take protein powder to gain weight & build muscle will it affect me somehow?

The Rumon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might have more success if you posted on a site concerned with weight. This site is for people with diabetes.

oh thanks for ur concern & I happy to inform u that I am a diabetic & that's why I asked whether I can or not.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I badly want to gain weights. I am underweight now. if I take protein powder to gain weight & build muscle will it affect me somehow?
You might want to ask your doctor about it, and also get them to check that there isn't a medical reason for your low weight.

Reactions: 2 people

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @The Rumon,

Yes, taking protein is fine for diabetics, as long as you have no other underlying problems (kidneys). However, important to note that a lot of 'protein tubs' have carbohydrates - so look for one that is pure protein.

Also, protein isn't a magical muscle builder. In order to 'grow muscle', a couple of things are required;

1. Micro tears; basically lifting weights to overload muscles so that they repair and become bigger/stronger.
  2. Calorie surplus; Eating enough calories to gain muscle..
  3. Rest; Don't 'overtrain', less is more, quality over quantity.
  4. Your bodyfat needs to be low enough to see the muscle...If you want to see it (cuts/definition)- or you will just be bulky. Best to bulk up first, then reduce carbs/start cardio to get defined.
It is (more) difficult for a diabetic to bulk up, as it takes a lot of work to get insulin levels/BS under control - but it is achievable.