Work problem

Jellyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just reached the maximum amount of sickness allowed for the year. My recent sickness period was stress/depression - a combination of not managing my diabetes very well and also being stressed at work.
My last two periods of sickness were I started vomiting at work - not sure if related but shortly after diagnosis and a migraine. My boss entered both as 'diabetes', which I challenged.
Now he is saying that diabetes cannot be classed as a contributing factor for being off with stress as, in his opinion, it was well managed and I had asked him to change previous sick periods from diabetes.
I have also been recently told that I have high blood pressure and will be having an ECG and kidney function tests. I have been told that I have a review period of 12 months in which there is no sickness. I feel worried and stressed just at the thought of it.

Reactions: 2 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't help your stress levels but diabetes falls under the umbrella of the Equalities Act. You're employer must make allowances for your diabetes and provide you with the support you need to help you manage your condition.

More importantly any disciplinary action that can be put down to you condition puts your employer in a very bad position. Can I suggest getting to the citizens advice for your half hour with a solicitor and some advice.

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. Sorry to hear about your problem. Are you a member of a union? Can they provide you with advice? I must admit I have been through this procedure myself and empathise with you. It is concerning. It is good to get as much information as possible.