Coffee

Kamili

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Enjoy my morning coffee instant with two sweeteners and some coffee whitener. Not sure wether the latter is ok. But so far does not effect my bg.

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
I have mine after breakfast. Freshly ground beans, Aeropress, 1tsp double cream & Stevia

Reactions: 2 people

oldsurveyor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink coffee like a fish breathes water.
It can't be good for me but without it I'm falling asleep and waking with terrible headaches.

oldsurveyor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Typical middle american coffee tastes here, nothing fancy at all and not very strong either.,
I use Folgers Breakfast Blend and I use about half of the recommended recipe.
About 1/8th cup of grounds per 12 cups of water.
The result is something akin to Earl Grey tea in color.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a complete coffee fiend, and I have multiple versions of it in my cupboards and multiple machines and devices for preparing it. The only thing I can't stand is additions like those nasty nut syrups etc they give you in Starbucks. I also hate cream in coffee. I don't know why. I love cream. I love coffee. But together they make me gag. I like it with milk or unadulterated. Just off to make an espresso, or should it be a Turkish kahve, or maybe with a French press......See ya later.

Reactions: 6 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't stand 'instant' so called coffee.
I have a mug of real coffee made from freshly ground Starbucks Fairtrade Expresso Roast dark beans, prepared in an Aeropress.
I have switched from full cream milk to double cream, and have been using Sweet 'N Low, but it contains Aspartame, so will switch to Truvia tomorrow.

If I go the shopping centre I have a Tall Latte in the Starbucks there with a couple of sachets of Sweet 'N Low, as I can get a free Tall Latte with an empty Starbucks beans bag.

I don't drink any coffee after 4pm as it will keep me awake most of the night.

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only ever had the odd cup of coffee, maybe one every 3 months, then before I was diagnosed was having 1-3cups a day to get me through the day!! I gave it up again after diagnosis, but now enjoy a cup on the mornings I work. I love it! And I've managed to go from milk and 2 sugars, to milk and 2 sweeteners (aspartame-free), to milk and 1 sweetener and now just milk :) My Dad has two spoons of coffee in a tiny cup with boiling water and is trying to convince me to ditch the milk but I love it lol! I just use the instant at work, and have millicano decaff for after lunchtime/at home. Not convinced by it though, not 'coffee' enough! Will need to try with cream. Also love the idea of roasting your own!! Watch this space... ;)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I loved coffee and would have 3 or 4 a day before I had to give up having the half teaspoon of sugar in it, it never tasted the same with sweetener so now I drink mostly tea. I will have a cappuccino ..no sugar.. when I am out though

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Typical middle american coffee tastes here, nothing fancy at all and not very strong either.,
I use Folgers Breakfast Blend and I use about half of the recommended recipe.
About 1/8th cup of grounds per 12 cups of water.
The result is something akin to Earl Grey tea in color.
Folgers! Wow that bring s back memories. 30 odd years ago I was bringing back to the UK every trip I did to the States! Lmao!

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Folgers! Wow that bring s back memories. 30 odd years ago I was bringing back to the UK every trip I did to the States! Lmao!
I love filter coffee and get whichever is on offer! I make half a pot in my coffee machine always quite strong with double cream, I'm lucky iv never taken sugar. Always drink in the morning never after 5pm

Malsange

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a Tassimo, and I have 1 large coffee a day, around 4:30 pm, my fav coffee is Caramelo by Second Cup, I put in cashew milk and some lactose free coffee cream, plus 2 tsp. xylitol (no after taste) but if you have any pets make sure they don't accidentally eat some as this can lower blood sugars to a dangerous level, in all pets, but especially dogs (just a helpful warning :))

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I have now given up coffee. The caffeine withdrawal symptoms were brutal.

Malsange

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made my coffee to sweet this morning, so I have this little pouch of no sugar added hot chocolate mix, that is actually made by someone who lives in my small town :)
It is dark chocolate with extra spices in it, and it is very tasty, I put 2 tsp. in a small pyrex dish, made a paste with 1 tbsp. of whipping cream, added a small amount of hot water, then added to my coffee with some more hot water, normally you might add some sweetener, but you don't need much as the spices in it give it a unique taste that really doesn't need much sweetener :)
It is called River Road dark hot chocolate
The chocolate used is darker than unsweetened cocoa powder that you bake with.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made my coffee to sweet this morning, so I have this little pouch of no sugar added hot chocolate mix, that is actually made by someone who lives in my small town :)
It is dark chocolate with extra spices in it, and it is very tasty, I put 2 tsp. in a small pyrex dish, made a paste with 1 tbsp. of whipping cream, added a small amount of hot water, then added to my coffee with some more hot water, normally you might add some sweetener, but you don't need much as the spices in it give it a unique taste that really doesn't need much sweetener :)
It is called River Road dark hot chocolate
The chocolate used is darker than unsweetened cocoa powder that you bake with.

:) that sounds absolutely sumptuous...

Malsange

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning to all the coffee drinkers here :)
I have some tips for those who use coffee machines like Tassimo or Keurig,
Always use filtered water like Brita or bottled ( there is a filter in the bottom, but you will need to clean more often if you use just tap water. There is a hole at top of the water container and it will add dust to your water, so I put a doubled paper towel over that and I put the yellow cleaner disc on top as you never want to lose that as you need it to clean your machine.
everyday empty out water container and use fresh cold water(Brita) for the best tasting coffee
if you like a large coffee for your take along to work mug, use the coffee that says Breakfast by Nabob, it makes double the amount of other brands
if you have a large cup like I do, you might think that your cup is only half full, but I add Cashew milk(the best tasting for adding to coffee) plus lactose free coffee cream, if you want more fat in the morning add 1 or 2 tbsp. coconut oil to your coffee(it isn't yucky like you might think, your coffee will taste smoother) you can also add 1 or 2 tbsp. heavy cream as well :) reheat in micro to make as hot as you like, about 40-50 seconds for a large cup :)
I also use Xylitol for a great tasting sugar sub., just make sure your pets don't get a hold of it as it is dangerous to their health.
Xylitol does not have a bad after taste, so it is the only one I use for all my baking needs, and you don't need a lot for a great taste.
You can buy Dezcal powder to descale your Tassimo or Keurig at Walmart in the coffee machines isle, it is in a blue and white box :)
Hope this helps someone, I learned this from experience.
Enjoy your beautiful coffees <3