Regular moderate exercise log

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Half an hour is the theme today! Walk at lunchtime. Yesterday was gym. Tomorrow I'm trying a power plate thing. Has anyone used them? I read a paper that said they improved glycemic control in type 2s (obese, sedentary) women. I thought it might be worth a go even if I don't meet that demographic.
No, you're our adventurous one! I'm assuming a power plate is one of those wobbly things you have to stand on and try to balance. But let us know.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yes, like a wobbly big scales. If I can still type I'll fill you in. :)

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have various options for indoor exercise, but have to admit that getting outside regularly is probably very important for people with diabetes, given that lots of us seem to suffer from low vitamin D levels. I think we have to adopt that saying, "There's no poor weather, only poor clothing." I'm planning on a new overcoat this winter. To just below the knee. I hate coats that leave me with wet thighs and a frozen bum!

Reactions: 2 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Good luck with the coat hunt.

Wobbly scales took me from 6 to 4.7 in 25 minutes. I can do better than that at the gym but to be fair a lot of that time was demonstration not moving. I'll judge if I go again by whether or not I ache tomorrow! It was different and fun though.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Achy thighs this morning so some muscles must have worked yesterday. Foggy here today and a lazy day because I am taking child to a birthday party then swimming lesson. What have you guys got planned?

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got 3 or 4 different things l need to do, and think that if I walk between each of them (instead of getting on a bus each time), it'll all add up to a reasonable amount by the end of the day.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did a total of about half an hour walking today, like Jennifer, between meetings, chores, etc. I met some friends for breakfast, then planned to hare off to my local shopping area - forty minutes brisk walk or so - but one of my best friends wanted to come with me, and since she is heavily pregnant and anemic at the same time, it didn't exactly turn out as planned! If my plans had worked out, I would have walked for at least two hours, but some things are more important, I guess, amongst them the happiness of pregnant friends! I don't like exercising in the evening because I don't sleep well afterwards. So, tomorrow I'll do more....... I hope.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Likewise @RuthW, had a 90min walk after lunch and felt so much better for it.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, that's great. But I failed to have my walk. I just might go out now before it gets dark. You're encouraging me.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
So I'm the laziest today. Will try harder tomorrow.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nope. I didn't make it out the door. One of those "diabetic-only decisions." Do I a) go for a walk and grab a take-away after because it'll be too late to cook? Or b) cook because then I won't be forced to guess the carb content (and I unfailingly get it wrong)? I went for b). Walk tomorrow is better than unpredictable blood sugar today.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yoga this evening as the only structured exercise today, but I also rode into town to do the errands, came home and trimmed the hedge and mowed the lawn before picking the last of the pears (another 20kg), chopping and juicing them.

Quite busy all in all, now relaxing (ish) over the world cup

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
That's more than moderate @ElyDave! I support Wales so I'm nicely relaxed for now.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
we should have beaten your mob, but Australia were by far the better side this evening
You're right, I will never know where that win came from. But I'll happily take it.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
30 min walking earlier, an hour on the bike later watching the rugby

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One hour walking, about an hour cleaning outside steps, lugging buckets of water. But blood sugar tending to run high, bit of a sore throat, darn it. Looks like I'm fighting something. :(

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
An hour of walking for the whole family today. Blood also higher than usual - high sixes all day which is high for me. No sign of lurgy though. Hope you feel better soon@RuthW

trisha68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trisha - Might you be able to manage sessions on an exercise bike?

At our local swimming pool there's also a gym, and one of my friends (well into her 70s) went in there to talk to the staff about what she might - and might not - be able to do and they were really helpful. They also do a cheap deal on prices if you're also using the pool. One session, to pick their brains, might be helpful. And don't assume that everyone there's going to be young and fit!
Thanks Jennifer for that,i will certainly go and see them