sweating and shaky

buddyscott

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi. After a little exertion some hours after a meal I get shaky and sweat profusely. I got myself a home meter and I've tested 4.7 and 5 mmol. I feel really awful when it happens - the sweating goes on for at least half an hour. Anyone know what it could be? Thanks folks.

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. After a little exertion some hours after a meal I get shaky and sweat profusely. I got myself a home meter and I've tested 4.7 and 5 mmol. I feel really awful when it happens - the sweating goes on for at least half an hour. Anyone know what it could be? Thanks folks.
I sometimes feel like this when my blood sugar levels are low.
If I then eat I feel ok again, I have just bought glucose tablet's, so I will be trying them next time it happens.

Reactions: 4 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
How about your body sweating to cool you down and shaky because you have overexerted. All quite natural and normal. Put the meter away and enjoy life

Reactions: 8 people

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about your body sweating to cool you down and shaky because you have overexerted. All quite natural and normal. Put the meter away and enjoy life

Hi, I notice you have lost a lot of weight, is this because you have given up carbohydrates? I'm asking because I need to lose weight. Thanks

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
4.7 and 5 are perfectly normal so its not BG levels. If you are worried then the best thing is to see you doctor.

Reactions: 7 people

buddyscott

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
My doctor does nothing. I can only assume what's normal for some...I've lived with it for about 15 years so I suppose I'll just have to carry on. Reading some of the RH info above I think I'll try even more of a caveman diet.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@buddyscott Hello. Sorry, I can't find what type (if any) of diabetes you have or anything about you. Have you suddenly started eating low carb? How much fat?

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What are your blood sugar levels normally? If you often run high, you might be having a false hypo. Alternatively, you may be having another problem, such as with your thyroid, which is not directly associated with your blood sugar. I agree that feeling like that while washing up is really not normal.

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I agree with the others it is not blood sugar related. If you had RH, the hypos would be a lot lower than normal levels.

buddyscott

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
There's both plenty of diabetes T2 and thyroid in my mum and her side of the family. Her mum and brother had amputations late in life due to diabetes and my mum's been on thyroxin for many decades. So yes, my guess is it's one or the other. I'm going to try going as low-carb for lunch as possible and see what happens.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
But really what is normal?
Blood glucose levels are between 3.5 and 6.0 mmols.
Those with blood glucose disorders like myself can and will have different threshold to hypos but it won't be far off those above.

False hypos are when you are going through a form of withdrawal from carbs and you are low carbing.
But I do think that you do need to see your GP!

buddyscott

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Fase hypo could be it. I've tried gulping down all manner of quick carb fixes over the years all to no effect. An attack takes 30 minutes or so to dissipate but the symtoms go away whether I eat or not.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
False hypos are when you are going through a form of withdrawal from carbs and you are low carbing.

No that's not right @nosher8355, false hypo's occurs when you've been running high bg levels over a long period of time and you then begin to normalise them, it has nothing to do with carb withdrawal or low-carbing and I think you are referring to what some people call 'carb flu'.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Apologies to the op!
Never put the answer in the right context!

M

mrspuddleduck

Hi @buddyscott are you a diagnosed diabetic? If so what type are you? Your profile justvsays 'other' so I'm about worried about taking about hypos and false hypos if you are not Diabetic!!! Sue x

buddyscott

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I'm not diabetic. Does that mean I can't have false hypos? My family history means I'm certainly borderline.

M

mrspuddleduck

I'm not diabetic. Does that mean I can't have false hypos? My family history means I'm certainly borderline.

Sorry but I dont understand your comment. Surely your family history means that you may be more prone to developing diabetes but I'm not sure it means you are a borderline Diabetic. (I may be wrong, I'm not a doctor!!). My concern is that because you are NOT a diagnosed diabetic, to even assume it alludes that your symptoms may be related to diabetes is a dangerous road to go down. Of course it may be, but on the other hand it may be something completely different. I would urge you to get it checked out by your GP. Im not sure we are really in a position to help til then, sorry. Sue x