Testing supplies

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been told I don't need to test my glucose levels, and to see the nurse every three months,I am on 1 Metformin a day, should I be allowed to test? And should they provide supplies?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can test all you want but you are unlikely to get free supplies. You are most likely going to have to buy them yourself.

Reactions: 2 people

AutumnWitch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They just say that because the NHS cannot afford to/won't provide testing supplies to all T2s. You are allowed to test; no one has to give you permission to do so. :) Most likely you will have to fund your own supplies, as most T2s have to do. It is very important to test. The SD Codefree meter seems to have the cheapest strips.

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They just say that because the NHS cannot afford to/won't provide testing supplies to all T2s. You are allowed to test; no one has to give you permission to do so. :) Most likely you will have to fund your own supplies, as most T2s have to do. It is very important to test. The SD Codefree meter seems to have the cheapest strips.
Thank you, that's what I wanted to know.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
The thing is, it's food that affects your BG and if you are not testing how do you know what are osafe foods for your body. Everyone is different and although we are mostly sensitive to the same things some people can eat what others can't. I can eat an apple every day with only a small rise in BG most people avoid them because of the rise, some can eat a small amount of pastry but it makes my bg fly. The NHS tell everyone T2 they don' t need to test but how is it possible to gain control if you don't know what's happening, they will not supply monitors or strips so testing has to be self funded but it can be done quite cheaply. Most people hear use the Codefree meter available on line from Home Health, you will need a meter,, strips and lancets, they sell a starter kit in a zip case £12.99 complete, strips are around £5.99 for 50 and lancets £5 for 100 , if you buy 250 strips together you get a £5 discount with code: 264086 lancets can be reused and 100 last a long time, the zip case only has about ten strips and a few lancets but for less than £25 you can get the initial set up. Hope this helps

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, but why? Have the NICE guidelines changed?

As I understand it you are only likely to get free supplies if you are on a medication which is capable of giving you a hypo. In this instance you are required by law to test your sugar levels before you drive etc. Metformin is extremely unlikely to give you a hypo.
In fact, type 2's are more likely to go hyper but this is not considered enough reason to be issued with a meter.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok, but why? Have the NICE guidelines changed?
No they haven't but the NHS has and with all the cuts and increse in type 2's it can't afford to issue them so make the excuse ' you don't need them' it's your body & your Diabetese and you have the choice

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, unfortunately I have purchased a Accu-check Aviva, the lancets are very expensive, I had no idea what to buy.
Having spent £25.00 already I was hoping to get supplies off the doc, I can understand the reasons behind not supplying them but until I am confident with it all thought I should test.

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The thing is, it's food that affects your BG and if you are not testing how do you know what are osafe foods for your body. Everyone is different and although we are mostly sensitive to the same things some people can eat what others can't. I can eat an apple every day with only a small rise in BG most people avoid them because of the rise, some can eat a small amount of pastry but it makes my bg fly. The NHS tell everyone T2 they don' t need to test but how is it possible to gain control if you don't know what's happening, they will not supply monitors or strips so testing has to be self funded but it can be done quite cheaply. Most people hear use the Codefree meter available on line from Home Health, you will need a meter,, strips and lancets, they sell a starter kit in a zip case £12.99 complete, strips are around £5.99 for 50 and lancets £5 for 100 , if you buy 250 strips together you get a £5 discount with code: 264086 lancets can be reused and 100 last a long time, the zip case only has about ten strips and a few lancets but for less than £25 you can get the initial set up. Hope this helps
Where would I get this one from please, is it from their website? And would the code be used on there? Thanks

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where would I get this one from please, is it from their website? And would the code be used on there? Thanks
Sorry, I've just seen you wrote where to get them from.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you, unfortunately I have purchased a Accu-check Aviva, the lancets are very expensive, I had no idea what to buy.
Having spent £25.00 already I was hoping to get supplies off the doc, I can understand the reasons behind not supplying them but until I am confident with it all thought I should test.
AwwMagsx1 wish you had come here first, Codefree is about the cheapest to buy and cheap to buy strips etc, that's why most people use it

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Log on and type Home Health all their stock will come into view, make your order and if using the code it is deducted at the final payment stage. Make sure you tick the box "are you diabetic" it means you don't pay VAT

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your answer, I may have to spend out and put the previous purchase down to lack of experience ;)

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for your answer, I may have to spend out and put the previous purchase down to lack of experience ;)
Could you not return it? I'm sure you will be happy with the Codefree, delivery is a few days and is free

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That would be good, but it had 10 lancets with it and I've used them.and using the machine it wouldn't be very hygienic to Send it back.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That would be good, but it had 10 lancets with it and I've used them.and using the machine it wouldn't be very hygienic to Send it back.
Shame

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Magsx1 I get the strips for my Aviva nano from e-bay for about £12.00 for 50. I also got the lancets for my fastclix from there but they are relatively cheap anyway.