effect of pain on blood sugar level

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I wound up in ER this morning with migraine and GI & throat spasms going on. My BP was 187/106 and stayed around there for a bit. But when they tested my sugar which was a good 12 hours after I'd eaten it was sitting on 11.4. I'm never that high in the morning. Goes to show what too much pain does. :(

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I wound up in ER this morning with migraine and GI & throat spasms going on. My BP was 187/106 and stayed around there for a bit. But when they tested my sugar which was a good 12 hours after I'd eaten it was sitting on 11.4. I'm never that high in the morning. Goes to show what too much pain does. :(
Yes, pain can increase stress, which increases BG. Hope you are feeling better now?

S

Shar67

I suffer chronic pain and it has no affect on my BS though the opiates I take might be the reason it is fairly ok, so relaxed I'm usually horizontal

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, pain can increase stress, which increases BG. Hope you are feeling better now?
still feeling lousy... went to work though. Just got home and my sugar is now going the other way... sitting on 4.4 at the moment and can feel it's crashing. So it's either one way or the other with me when I'm unwell. Migraines tend to do this to me as well. ugh. Thanks for asking :)

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I suffer chronic pain and it has no affect on my BS though the opiates I take might be the reason it is fairly ok, so relaxed I'm usually horizontal

I try not to use too much painkillers during the day. I still manage to get various BGL's that swing too far one way or the other. I think it's migraines that do it to me mostly I've noticed. That's good you don't notice much difference with BGLs due to pain levels.

Reactions: 2 people