Hi from Melanie. Type1.

mkirkley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Here's to OLD Diabetics. Hi. My name is Melanie. I'm new to this page (and to forums in general). But I wanted to interact with the diabetes community. After reading some of the headings of posts, I was amazed at how many "terms" I was unfamiliar with. I'm an OLD diabetic (old school). I've had Type 1 diabetes for in excess of 45 years. I was diagnosed when I was 17, before blood testing machines, when the only way they could tell how you were doing was through urine tests or the monthly blood draw. I have been through the invention of most of the things they have today (i.e. blood testing machines, A1c testing, pumps, etc.) and am actually on a pump right now. It's all been an amazing journey (one I didn't wish to take but had to). So maybe someone can help me with a few of the terms I am unfamiliar with - like LADA and Type 1.5??? Anyway, I'm anxious to join the community and if anyone wants to talk "Old School Diabetes", etc. Let me know.

Have a great day all and here's to normal Blood Sugars!!!

Melanie

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Hi and welcome to the forum @mkirkley .
There are some Type1s here who have been diagnosed for a long time like yourself. They remember the "good old days" too.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. Im sure you will find some old school diabetics to chat to in no time. :)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Here's to OLD Diabetics. Hi. My name is Melanie. I'm new to this page (and to forums in general). But I wanted to interact with the diabetes community. After reading some of the headings of posts, I was amazed at how many "terms" I was unfamiliar with. I'm an OLD diabetic (old school). I've had Type 1 diabetes for in excess of 45 years. I was diagnosed when I was 17, before blood testing machines, when the only way they could tell how you were doing was through urine tests or the monthly blood draw. I have been through the invention of most of the things they have today (i.e. blood testing machines, A1c testing, pumps, etc.) and am actually on a pump right now. It's all been an amazing journey (one I didn't wish to take but had to). So maybe someone can help me with a few of the terms I am unfamiliar with - like LADA and Type 1.5??? Anyway, I'm anxious to join the community and if anyone wants to talk "Old School Diabetes", etc. Let me know.

Have a great day all and here's to normal Blood Sugars!!!

Melanie
Hi and welcome. Here is some info about other types of diabetes, including a link to LADA info:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/which-type-of-diabetes.html

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
hello and a big WELCOME

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there Melanie
I think i might qualify :) 43 years for me - diagnosed in 1972 aged 14

glad to have you on the forum
lots of lovely people here

all the best

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, Melanie,
I am Josephine and 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 1.
Since, I am on a prolonged honeymoon period using only basal insulin and metformin.
If my understanding is correct, my current situation is called LADA or 1.5.

My doctor has explained to me that ‘LADA” is, in fact, semantics and in practical terms I am a Type 1 Diabetic on a prolonged honeymoon period which means that my pancreas is still producing some insulin. Eventually, my pancreas will seize production and I will become Type 1 on a basal/bolus scheme. In a simplified way, I think that LADA means being caught up in the middle of Type 1 and Type 2 (being insulin dependant and also insulin resistant) on a journey towards Type 1.

I hope that my explanation is correct.
Warm Regards
Josephine.