first eye test tomorrow

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
Hi to all I have my first eye test tomorrow and am a little nervous :) can people fill me in of what to expect while I'm there and how long the test will last ty :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
For me, they did some basic optometry tests then squirted some liquid in my eyes. I had to sit in the waiting area for 10 mins or so while the liquid took effect. Then I went back in and they took pictures of the eyes. Afterwards your vision will probably be a bit misty, you're normally advised not to drive for a while but I found my vision was normal after around 20mins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's weird!
Doesn't take too long, you'll go in and get some eye drops and have to wait for about 15 minutes for them to take affect. After that it's just a few quick pictures.
I remember looking in the mirror and getting freaked out haha

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Remember you can't drive for a few hours after and it's advisable to wear sunglasses when you go outside. Normal light or sunshine can be exceedingly bright whilst your pupils are dilated.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The actual testing only takes a few minutes, but if it's anything like the hospital where I've had previous tests you might have to wait up to an hour or longer after your appointment time before you actually get tested. So take something to read.

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
they basically blind you to see if your going blind *threw a joke in here*

Reactions: 4 people

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my first one a couple of weeks ago, as has been said a few tests like at normal opticians, reading the letters board , drops in eyes, sting a bit, makes your nose run! Lol take tissues! Photos taken, Can't drive, wear sunglasses cos it's so bright afterwards makes you squint. Come back next year, nothing to worry about honest

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find it takes quite a while before I can focus again afterwards so don't expect to be able to read any bus numbers! Ideally take someone with you. Otherwise be prepared to sit around for a while till you can see properly.

Reactions: 3 people

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last time i had mine which was about 6 months ago, it gave me a hell of a migraine afterwards, lasted a few days wasn't fun.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
There are different brands of eye drops and the cheap ones sting like crazy for about a minute :(

My vision was very blurry for several hours afterwards. I took someone with me to drive me home.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's weird!
Doesn't take too long, you'll go in and get some eye drops and have to wait for about 15 minutes for them to take affect. After that it's just a few quick pictures.
I remember looking in the mirror and getting freaked out haha

lol,ya went with my mother who has type 2 2 a few years back,she looked like a vampire lol

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ty for your replies guys,much appreciated :)