Type 2 Accu chek meters

JohnCopus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was wondering if someone could advise me I'm looking to buy a new accu chek meter but all the ones I am finding are manufactured in Poland, Germany or the USA how does the country the meter is made in effect it I'm really confused

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before I was diagnosed, my husband had an Accu-check Aviiva Nano as he has low blood sugar and wanted to track his levels during hypos. ( I think there's an option on the meter itself for which testing system you want to use. ) It had sat in a cupboard for 5 years and needed a new code strip which the company provided free of charge along with an updated lancet device and so customer services were really helpful. I then bought some test strips from the Diabetes Shop (quite expensive). When I went to my first diabetic clinic in July, I was given a ContourXT meter with test strips and lancets on prescription. I thought it would be a good idea to have a spare meter for when I went out and was recommended the CodeFree meter. When ordering, from their website, I was given the option as to whether I wanted the meter in mmol/L (UK standard) or mg/dl (US standard). I just ticked the box and someone on the forum gave me this code so you get a discount on test strips:
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
BUT, one day out of curiosity, I checked my BS levels with the two meters (same drop of blood and less than 5 seconds apart) there was a difference of one whole point. on several occasions... not sure why... any ideas? Anyone else got 2 different meters and finding differences?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, there will often be large differences between readings taken on different meters, and even on different strips on the same meter.

My code free reads higher than either my Aviva or Contour.

Reactions: 2 people

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My code free reads higher than either my Aviva or Contour.

Thanks SO much for sharing that .... it's a relief to know that someone else finds the same anomalies as me! Do you find it's a whole point higher most of the time - which I think could mean a higher average over time or just a fraction (yesterday it was 0.6 difference and I gather that's a very small discrepency)
Last week, I emailed the company who supplied the CodeFree meter to ask why this might be - but haven't got a reply yet. I've ordered some 'test solution' today - so will be able to see if the meter is reading correctly. I suppose that's why the HbA1c is a more reliable overall indicator (in the long run) as to whether the treatement plan is working.. or not...

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started with an Accucheck Aviva, and when I moved to a Contour USB the readings were generally 0.3/0.5 lower on the same drop of blood.

Now with the Codefree it was reading 0.7/1.0 higher on the same blood as the Contour.

Ultimately I think you should stick to one meter for a long period so that you can identify a proper trend, whilst remembering not to be spooked by occasional high readings.

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ultimately I think you should stick to one meter for a long period so that you can identify a proper trend, whilst remembering not to be spooked by occasional high readings.

Thanks - that's good advice. I'm having the HbA1c test next week so will wait to see what that shows. I started at 81% in June 2015 and at the end of July was 74. I tried slow release metformin -but coulldn't cope with side efffects. so amy trying diet and exercise only for a while.
I do like this chart http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html and it's encouraging to see how the risks of complications fall with every 1% fall in HbA1c. I see from your stats pprofile that your HbA1c went from 88 down to 32 - in just 3 months - that's impressive and I'd be encouraged to hear if you've made any other lifestyle changes apart from LCHF and Metformin.... please can you share any top tips!!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Top Tip:
Remove Carbs from your diet, and don't kid yourself by under-counting how many carbs you are eating.

I get virtually all my Carbs from Vegetables and Salad.