Vitamins for Type1

Tez_Ann_J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The last two weeks my BG results have suddenly become much better - generally lower and not as many spikes. I am a 'woman of a certain age', T1 for 14 yrs, and had put some of the difficulties in management down to hormonal changes over the past year or so. The only changes I can really think of to my lifestyle & routine I can think of in the last month are that I started to take a Vitamin D & K supplement. Is this improvement coincidental or anyone else have experience?

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know, but my diabetes consultant recommended that I take vitamin D during the winter months. She said that sunlight provides enough during summer. So I'm interested in this thread, in others' use of Vit D supplement, as I haven't started on it yet.

S

Shar67

Vitamin supplements make me ill which in turn doesn't help BS, I have severe vit d deficiency II was prescribed fultium d3 tablets, I developed a severe rash, vomitting and couldn't remember anything, i forgot how to drive, didn't know husband's name
It is best to get out in daylight as much as possible and eat foods with added vit d.
(Most Northern Europeans have a form of Vit d defiency due to lack of sun light)

Because of my inability to take supplements I am looking forward to osteoporosis and a raft of other horrid things I have already lost 2 inches from my height I'm only 48.

Oh make sure if you take Vit d supplements that your GP is checkng calcium levels in your blood (should be tested at least every 3/4 months)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I take Cod Liver Oil ( which contains Vit D) but no other vitamins supplements.

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know, but my diabetes consultant recommended that I take vitamin D during the winter months. She said that sunlight provides enough during summer. So I'm interested in this thread, in others' use of Vit D supplement, as I haven't started on it yet.
I have had vit D supplements here but have been nervous to take them but I am going to take the plunge and begin taking them as I instinctively feel I must be deficient . I would like to get my levels checked at some stage but I live in cloudy Ireland so I feel vitamin D must be lacking! They are food based so perhaps safer and I just bought vitamin K 2 to take with them to deliver the calcium into the bones and teeth rather than the arteries ,tissues,brain etc . That is apparently very important when supementing with vitamin D.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have had vit D supplements here but have been nervous to take them but I am going to take the plunge and begin taking them as I instinctively feel I must be deficient . I would like to get my levels checked at some stage but I live in cloudy Ireland so I feel vitamin D must be lacking! They are food based so perhaps safer and I just bought vitamin K 2 to take with them to deliver the calcium into the bones and teeth rather than the arteries ,tissues,brain etc . That is apparently very important when supementing with vitamin D.
I started taking Vit D supplements before being tested too, on the basis that where I live doesn't get enough sun, and I don't usually spend enough time outside (supposed to be at least 20 mins a day). Testing showed a deficiency.

Most supplements are in the safe dosage range but you can check yours against the recommendations from this US government site if you want:
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-Consumer/

moodwife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Vitamin D is recommended before becoming pregnant with a 10mg supplement taken daily during pregnancy for all women. There is also some research linking Vitamin D supplementation to improved mental health. There is potentially a link between Vitamin D and improved glycaemic control but I'm not sure of any published research. But if it's benefiting you then roll with it ;)

A1c8

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Vitamin D Deficiency Linked to Diabetes
You’re probably aware that obesity is associated with type 2 diabetes, but a new study found low vitamin D levels may be an even more significant factor. In a study of more than 100 people, those with low vitamin D levels were more likely to have type 2 diabetes, pre-diabetes, or metabolic syndrome, regardless of their weight.

Among obese people, those without metabolic disorders had higher levels of vitamin D than those with such disorders. And among lean people, those with metabolic disorders were more likely to have low levels of vitamin D. According to one of the study’s authors:1

"Our findings indicate that vitamin D is associated more closely with glucose metabolism than obesity…

The study suggests that vitamin D deficiency and obesity interact synergistically to heighten the risk of diabetes and other metabolic disorders. The average person may be able to reduce their risk by maintaining a healthy diet and getting enough outdoor activity."

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/03/09/vitamin-d-diabetes-dementia.aspx

Reactions: 2 people