Eye problems

Allana88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I really just want to urge people to attend eye screenings, they are so important. Iv been a diabetic for 20 years and i never got to grips with control, it is after all extremely hard( non diabetics sometimes dont realise how diabetes takes over life), after 18 years of ignoring the fact i have disbetes i ended up with bleeds in both eyes and have since had 4 operations, loads laser surgery and been registered blind(although i have very little sight i can see with a very strong magnifying glass). This lead to depression, tablets for my kidneys, fertility issues, tiredness, and worst of all guilt from family who blame themselves, although 100% my fault. I am only 26 years old and wish i could change my past behaviour. I would encourage everyone to go and have screening on their wmeyes done each year and talk to someone about any worries you have. A problem shared and all that.

Growing up with diabetes is a lonely experience and mistakes cost us dearly so please everyone try your hardest and get checked if you notice any changes at all.

Reactions: 7 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
and worst of all guilt from family who blame themselves, although 100% my fault.
Not sure it can be 100% your fault when you were aged 6-18, and even between 18-26 you would still have been dealing with factors that were put in place before you were an adult and responsible for your choices.

I firmly believe that no child is responsible for what they eat or how a health condition is managed. That is the responsibility of the adults. Even then I think the blame game is pointless and harmful. People generally do the best they can with the knowledge and resources they have. Guilt and blame are part of depression. They are negative thought habits that need to be challenged and reframed. I speak as someone who has lived with depression for 25 years, and who also was obese from about age 5 onwards. I have forgiven my parents for not taking better care of my health as a child, and forgiven myself for not tackling my obesity until I reached middle age. Forgiveness is a good thing.

And yes, everyone get your eye checks! :)

Allana88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tbh i dodged taking insulin and use to use my testing drops to show good bms, i genuinly ddnt except my condition till it ws to l8 bt i think losing my sight has been a good thing in a strange way because it taught me to look after my diabetes better before more complications. Your def ryt, if u keep regret nd blame then life wnt ever move on. I like to look on the bright side of life. I jst really hope younger diabetics see how complications do happen before they end up affected. I hope your doing better now, its always nice to b able to talk to ppl tht understand. X

Reactions: 3 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Tbh i dodged taking insulin and use to use my testing drops to show good bms, i genuinly ddnt except my condition till it ws to l8 bt i think losing my sight has been a good thing in a strange way because it taught me to look after my diabetes better before more complications. Your def ryt, if u keep regret nd blame then life wnt ever move on. I like to look on the bright side of life. I jst really hope younger diabetics see how complications do happen before they end up affected. I hope your doing better now, its always nice to b able to talk to ppl tht understand. X
Yes I'm doing well now, thanks. What you were doing seems to be fairly common for young people with T1. I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way and I hope people take notice of your posts and that it helps them accept their condition and make some changes if they need to. Hugs.

Reactions: 2 people

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 19 and have been T1 diabetic since I was 4. I had a wobbly stage throughout my teens with high HbA1c's and just not caring for myself. What makes me change my testing and injecting habits is when I've been told something is wrong. I stick at it for a while and then it tails off. Recently I was told I have Diabetic Maculopathy and since then I've been testing like crazy. What's made it worse is I don't know anyone with T1 and it makes me feel so alone. I joined here to make me realise I'm not the only one. I'm recently just really struggling with the emotional side of diabetes

Allana88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I fully understand that feeling and i am exactly the same when it comes to doing things right for a while but trailing off again. I always felt drs were never fully understanding how hard it is, and got angry with them. I still to this day go months doing everything right then go out with friends and slide again as forget i have diabetes to manage. It is always helpful to talk things out and i am pretty sure that everyone on here can relate to these issues. The emotional side is one the hardest parts. If you ever feel you need or want to talk myself and the lovely people on here would be here to help. X

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm 19 and have been T1 diabetic since I was 4. I had a wobbly stage throughout my teens with high HbA1c's and just not caring for myself. What makes me change my testing and injecting habits is when I've been told something is wrong. I stick at it for a while and then it tails off. Recently I was told I have Diabetic Maculopathy and since then I've been testing like crazy. What's made it worse is I don't know anyone with T1 and it makes me feel so alone. I joined here to make me realise I'm not the only one. I'm recently just really struggling with the emotional side of diabetes
Hi quintel and welcome to the forum. If there is anything you would like to ask, or just to say hi and be welcomed by others, feel free to start a thread and I'm sure people will be along to say hi.

You and @Allana88 might be interested in reading this post about diabetes burnout:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/diabetes-burnout.74048/