just been diagnosed type 2

snookie09

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salads
I have been tested for past 3 months my reading on a fasting blood test 3 months ago was 6.3 and today it is 6.8 I asked about a blood monitor and was told I don't need one unless I'm on medication but how am I to know if my sugar is high or low I get the obvious symptoms eg really thirsty, bad mood swings and feeling light headed but don't know if they result of sugar to high or low

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you spoken to your doctor about those symptoms? What sort of food are you eating ? Have you been advised about diet? if so what have you been told to eat/avoid?

If you're a type 2 diabetic in the UK, it's highly unlikely that you'll be given a meter., so if you feel you want to test - which many of us definitely do, you'll have to buy meter and test strips yourself. Look into getting an SD Codefree meter as the test strips for this are the cheapest available.

Robbity

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You do .... their advice is wrong (some might say idiotic). Get one. Otherwise you will never know what your blood sugars are.

Reactions: 5 people

snookie09

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salads
[QUOspoken to Dr yet only the nurse, just been given loads leaflets to read the past three months been on low sugar/fat diet some days I don't feel to good at all very light headed
Have you spoken to your doctor about those symptoms? What sort of food are you eating ? Have you been advised about diet? if so what have you been told to eat/avoid?

If you're a type 2 diabetic in the UK, it's highly unlikely that you'll be given a meter., so if you feel you want to test - which many of us definitely do, you'll have to buy meter and test strips yourself. Look into getting an SD Codefree meter as the test strips for this are the cheapest available.

Robbity

bbity, post: 962077, member: 93179"]Have you spoken to your doctor about those symptoms? What sort of food are you eating ? Have you been advised about diet? if so what have you been told to eat/avoid?

Robbity[/QUOTE]
Not spojen

snookie09

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salads
[QUOspoken to Dr yet only the nurse, just been given loads leaflets to read the past three months been on low sugar/fat diet some days I don't feel to good at all very light headed

bbity, post: 962077, member: 93179"]Have you spoken to your doctor about those symptoms? What sort of food are you eating ? Have you been advised about diet? if so what have you been told to eat/avoid?

Robbity
Not spojen[/QUOTE]
I looked inti
You do .... their advice is wrong (some might say idiotic). Get one. Otherwise you will never know what your blood sugars are.
this may sound stupid wuestion

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
When did the symptoms start? Before the first test 3 months ago or after you started eating low sugar and low fat?

Thirst can be caused by conditions other than diabetes. Are you going to the toilet a lot, and having to get up at night to go?

Also, @daisy1 will have some welcome info for you.

snookie09

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salads
When did the symptoms start? Before the first test 3 months ago or after you started eating low sugar and low fat?

Thirst can be caused by conditions other than diabetes. Are you going to the toilet a lot, and having to get up at night to go?

Also, @daisy1 will have some welcome info for you.
Been glucose intolerant for about 9 years had routine blood tests in June and was slightly raised and had another one done this week and its gone up more. Not been going to toilet any more than normal been on low sugar diet for past 3 months but it still raised

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Been glucose intolerant for about 9 years had routine blood tests in June and was slightly raised and had another one done this week and its gone up more. Not been going to toilet any more than normal been on low sugar diet for past 3 months but it still raised
High BGs can cause increased thirst but usually there is also increased urination with it. I don't know that your BGs are high enough to cause this problem. Your thirst could be dry mouth caused by something else. I think you should see your doctor about your thirst, mood swings and light headedness as they might not be diabetes-related. They will probably want to run some other blood tests.

Reducing sugar without reducing carbs is unlikely to be enough to reduce your BGs because basically carbs turn to sugar in the body. You need to reduce carby foods like bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cereals and porridge. Your BG testing meter will help you find out which of these your body can tolerate or not. If you reduce your carbs and don't increase fat intake, then you may feel lightheaded and moody because you are not getting enough energy from your food. There is lots of information on the forums about how to tweak your eating patterns to reduce BGs while feeling good.