extremely high insulin needs

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The one single thing nobody seems to have suggested is exercise. Insulin resistance is very strongly connected to lack of exercise and the absolutely best way to reduce insulin resistance is heavy weight training. I'd give that a go immediately, if I were you. The results take two to three weeks to start showing, but that's quicker than anything you've tried so far.

Reactions: 2 people

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
spoke to the hospital to day and they say I should eat 1400 calories a day and see how that go's. hmmmm. nothing from the CCG yet so will ring them tomorrow?. other than that it been a good day

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I've seen a reduction in my basals since going to gym 12 weeks ago. I don't do heavy weight training as our gym only take diabetics from GP Referrals and give you a tailored programme to suit each individual..

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@ donnellysdogs

will have to ask GP if we have something like that where I am????. sounds intresting.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Do ask... They are so good. Had 24 1hr one to one instruction.. Brilliant.. And I previously hated the gym for 50 years!!
I do know of another lladies partner on a scheme from
(Not my area) and he jyst doing bike and rower (still better than being a lounge lizard).. So this is a lot different overall quality of instruction and regime than I was given.

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@donnellysdogs

hi thanks it sounds grate, have booked appointment with GP could only get one for Tuesday and I will ask him then.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I highly recommend.

I had a sit down with my instructor first off. He did measurements, body fat, blow testy thing for lung capacity, blood pressure, resting heart beat etc. This is what should be done for all referral schemes.

If your GP doesn't offer them.. They are so easy to set up. I have a copy of contract that I drew up for our Practice and Gym. The Gym must have a qualufied person though to deal with referrals...ours has and was more than willing to get referrals from GPs.

We now get an average of 1 referral a week which isn't too bad. Could be better but its only been going 13 weeks.

Our Council now monitor gyms and GPs for referral schemes too.

Our County though has the worst obesity rate in the UK... So they have to be seen to be trying to do something..

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@donnellysdogs

hi
that's grate so if there isn't one hear then will get back to you and find a gym and then set one up with the gym if that's ok with you
thanks phil

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That'll be fine by me. I have a copy of the contract my GPs and gym signed. Just a case of checking that the gym has someone qualified to "oversee" health conditions...

muggle666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hya there i am t1 and was having backgroung x2 60 units and between 30 and 50 units quick acting with meals and then having to titrate as well, i have since been given new insulin and this one is more precise it is one injection daily and then the quick acting stand firm and tell the dn that you want to try new insulin,

muggle666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my gp is great, we have a mutual understanding and i have taken back my care that i want, i am fed up with medication been thrown at me left, right and center so we agreed that unless i ask for it then none is offered unless/until there is further complications like the last time i went. i have just been put on heart medication and have agreed to tests after xmas to see how i go on these, i think it is time we took back the control and compromised between ourselves and the medical staff, it is your right to ask/try different things till you get the right fit, it is trial and error in alot of ways, and just because one thing suits one does not mean that it will suit you, sorry rant over,

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi update
have seen GP today I am vitamin D deficient. test for B12, liver scan, bone scan. yes we have an active Referrals program he will sort that out for me to go along. he is going to contact the CCG to see where they are up to. a1c 116. this can not go on as trouble with feet and legs is getting bad now pulls in left leg is now at danger point. and my weight is now 11st 00lb. if you carry on you will become very ill you must eat moor. I will ring CCG tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good to hear progress made. Have you got vit d on prescription.
For referral you def must eat more fat n protein otherwise you will be like me and lose another 3kg!! I recognised this and added even more avocado, olives and dressing!!
So please follow GP advice and start eating more. Your calorie intake is not good... Its not enough... Perhaps list on my fitness pal the foods you are eating and look at the approx vitamins they are giving you.

I know of a chap that after 2 stents out in got told to eat liw fat. He went to no fat... Not the same as you are doing... But he lost so much weight and made himself so incredibly ill as he was eating literally steamed chicken and steamed veg. That was it...
Please let us know how you get in with CCG...
Glad to hear though
That things are being done...

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like you're making progress, vitamin D deficiency is quite common (I am myself) but it can make you feel pretty rough without treatment. Just a thought but if you start self funding a pump I know medtronic have a customer loyalty programme re prices, if the CCG don't fund (don't be disappointed if they don't as I know in my area they won't fund for T2s at all) perhaps ask them if they'll fund the U500 insulin whilst you fund the pump, don't forget if you go the pump route you'll need more testing which again the CCG may not be prepared to fund. I hope you get a good solution and you start feeling better, if your CCG do agree to fund a pump for you please let us know, that decision could help other T2s in a similar position.

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all

well CCG had agm and I was there. I was asked not to bring up my problem and they would be in contact with to day at 4pm. I have rang them this morning to tell them that I was going to self fund told not to do anything until they contact me at 4pm????. told them that it must be sorted today as to many things are going wrong now as I have been told that I have kidney probs and I need to get my bg's down as soon as.

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That sounds promising :) the only thing is a pump alone won't make any difference/be a miracle solution as you'll still be taking the same large insulin amounts but doing set changes more often than the usual 2-3 days, if they agree to the U500 insulin and pump then that really would be great. Good luck and hope you get a positive outcome. Just a thought (sorry if it sounds stupid), have they actually tested you for T1 (antibody test)?

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
That sounds promising :) the only thing is a pump alone won't make any difference/be a miracle solution as you'll still be taking the same large insulin amounts but doing set changes more often than the usual 2-3 days, if they agree to the U500 insulin and pump then that really would be great. Good luck and hope you get a positive outcome. Just a thought (sorry if it sounds stupid), have they actually tested you for T1 (antibody test)?
I agree, I think getting onto u500 insulin is the most urgent thing. Or at least trialling it.

alaska

hi all

well CCG had agm and I was there. I was asked not to bring up my problem and they would be in contact with to day at 4pm. I have rang them this morning to tell them that I was going to self fund told not to do anything until they contact me at 4pm????. told them that it must be sorted today as to many things are going wrong now as I have been told that I have kidney probs and I need to get my bg's down as soon as.

Hi Phil, how are things going? Any sign of improvement in the blood sugars?

Ed

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
up date
there is nothing to say ??? bs are still in the 20's and nothing from the ccg but I will be on to them tomorrow the last thing they said was not to self fund they will sort it

Reactions: 4 people