Type 2 Loosing control and getting fed up

jummybay

Am 46yrs I ve been diagnosed 8yrs now. Of recent my BS has been between 8-15mmol n sometime it jumps to 25mmol(eat cooked sweet potatoes.....so I wonder why the spike cos was told its ok) I stay alone n I Tend to just lazy about after eating. The only excersise I get is on week days wen I go to work. This high readings are really giving me sleepless nites. Sometimes I have symptoms of hotness in my foot(don't know it this is a sign of nerve damage in progress- I reject it in Jesus name) also itching under my armpits. I don't get up more than 3times to urinate. I need the name on the best Blood glucose meter(I use On Call plus) this is cos I don't know if this glucose is giving me correct readings. I also need help with a Nigerian diet plan for diabetics

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

I spike with sweet potatoes too. :grumpy:
It is very annoying, because a lot of people seem to be fine on it.

All i can suggest is that you test individual foods. Try testing blood glucose before eating, then 2 hours later. If your blood glucose has risen more than you want (i don't like it rising more than 2mmol/l after a meal), then try the meal again with smaller portions of the starchy food.

I think it is the only way we can work out a way of eating that works for our body.
General diet advice is very rarely a perfect fit.

I use the SD Codefree meter. I can't say it is the best, but it is the cheapest!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Am 46yrs I ve been diagnosed 8yrs now. Of recent my BS has been between 8-15mmol n sometime it jumps to 25mmol(eat cooked sweet potatoes.....so I wonder why the spike cos was told its ok) I stay alone n I Tend to just lazy about after eating. The only excersise I get is on week days wen I go to work. This high readings are really giving me sleepless nites. Sometimes I have symptoms of hotness in my foot(don't know it this is a sign of nerve damage in progress- I reject it in Jesus name) also itching under my armpits. I don't get up more than 3times to urinate. I need the name on the best Blood glucose meter(I use On Call plus) this is cos I don't know if this glucose is giving me correct readings. I also need help with a Nigerian diet plan for diabetics
I suggest you see your doctor for a diabetes check up, and ask them about your foot symptoms. When diabetes is well controlled, there should be no need to get up at night to urinate, as this is a sign of high blood sugar. Are you on any medication for your diabetes?

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suggest you see your doctor for a diabetes check up, and ask them about your foot symptoms. When diabetes is well controlled, there should be no need to get up at night to urinate, as this is a sign of high blood sugar. Are you on any medication for your diabetes?
Having got to a certain age - and having what's known as 'irritable bladder' for some years. I'd say that there are other reasons for getting up at night!! - and it's not necessarily due to high blood sugar. If it was, then you'd also be going more by day as well and ironically, drinking lots more water can help
What's helped me is very low carb, eating to the meter (testing to see what causes spikes) and exercise - I can reduce my BS by up to 3 points if I have 40 minutes of walking or cycling (haven't tried swimming yet!!) I started with walking 10 minutes and built up over the past 4 months. I was given a Contour XT meter at the clinic - and it's easy to use.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having got to a certain age - and having what's known as 'irritable bladder' for some years. I'd say that there are other reasons for getting up at night!! - and it's not necessarily due to high blood sugar. If it was, then you'd also be going more by day as well and ironically, drinking lots more water can help

Yes, the widdling excessively usually kicks in when BG rises above 10-11 mmol/l, and I very rarely get that high.
What DOES have me up in the night is timing my water intake badly, during the the evening, or cracking down hard on carbs, after a few days of higher carbs. Both of those have me up several times a night as the fluid and fluid retention are eliminated, even with glood glucose in the non-diabetic range.

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hadn't thought about timing of water intake ......as I take some tablets before bed!!
My problem is a high BS in the morning and I know there's been a lot of discussion about that on the forum .. but looking back on meter readings it's starting to come down by a whole point and is the 7's rather than 8's -so I suppose that's in the right direction:)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
What's helped me is very low carb, eating to the meter (testing to see what causes spikes) and exercise - I can reduce my BS by up to 3 points if I have 40 minutes of walking or cycling (haven't tried swimming yet!!) I started with walking 10 minutes and built up over the past 4 months. I was given a Contour XT meter at the clinic - and it's easy to use.
The OP is 46 so I'd be surprised if they had an age-related condition causing nocturia.

I should have worded my post differently - of course there are many causes for nocturia but I was trying to say to the OP that if their BGs are in the normal range then they wouldn't have nocturia unless there was something else going on.

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for clarifying - yes, I agree, always worth getting checked up.