Type 1 honeymoon period

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently on a honeymoon period after being diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic with negative antibodies. I was told to come off the insulin until my body required injections but ive noticed that at meals my bs spikes to around 9. So for the last few weeks ive been using novorapid to help prevent a spike. Anyone else carried on using insulin during the honeymoon period?

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I am currently on a honeymoon period after being diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic with negative antibodies. I was told to come off the insulin until my body required injections but ive noticed that at meals my bs spikes to around 9. So for the last few weeks ive been using novorapid to help prevent a spike. Anyone else carried on using insulin during the honeymoon period?

Haven't heard anyone saying that before. I thought that using insulin whilst in the honeymoon period was normal practice. Quacks reckon I'm still honeymooning and I've been using insulin for almost a year now.

Reactions: 3 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
From my own experience, I think it all depends how well the pancreas is working. I'm in the honeymoon phase and not using any insulin at the moment. I know it won't last, but I'm enjoying being injection free for a while, I still watch my bg levels all the time though.

M

mrspuddleduck

Hi @jamesfitz, sorry but I'm a bit confused! How long have you been diagnosed? Were you put on insulin straight away then told to stop again? (Reduction and occasional stopping insulin is quite common in honeymoon period). Did you stop then start again, or did you carry on with the novorapid? Are you on any other insulin/tablets? Are you spiking without the insulin or despite the insulin?? Sorry for all the questions!

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @mrspuddleduck i was diagnosed in june as type 1 diabetic. Was on insulin for 5 weeks when i got my antibody results back which were both negative. During the 5 weeks i dropped from 40 units of insulin to 12 per day hence given the 2 previous points i was advised i was on a honeymoon period and was taken off insulin. However following research on the internet it appears that by managing blood sugars you can extend the honeymoon period by protecting the remaining beta cells (they dont have to work as hard so your immune system is less likely to detect them hence no attacks will take place). Ive only got 3 months supply of insulin left so i will have to schedule a meeting with my consultant and hopefully i can persuade him to give me more. Yeah im just using novorapid as my fasting blood sugar is always less than 5.

M

mrspuddleduck

Hi @jamesfitz , @June_C is probably the best person to ask about prolonging honeymoon without insulin. It isn't as simple as honeymoon no insulin, end of honeymoon start insulin I'm afraid. It all depends on your level and frequency of producing insulin. To my knowledge most people on honeymoon use insulin although I think most started without until such times their body didn't produce enough or production was too erratic. I am surprised they didn't start you on a low dose basal/bolus regime and adjust, but I'm no expert!!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I was diagnosed T1 with a bg level in the mid 20s. I was put on insulin straight away and stayed like that for 10 months. Unexplained hypos made me think my pancreas, having had a rest, had come back to life. With the agreement of my DN team, I stopped insulin and waited to see what would happen. I also changed my diet to LC in order to help.

I have now been without insulin for 7 weeks and my bg levels are staying within the normal range. I don't know how long this reprieve will last, but I'm doing my utmost to prolong it.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Well my C-peptide level was recorded as low, but the Islet cell antibodies were recorded as only 'weakly positive'. Not being medically qualified, I can only deduce that I still have beta cells that haven't been destroyed, but what are remaining are not producing very much insulin. I'm sure a wiser T1 will correct me if I'm wrong.

It's therefore beyond me as to how I seem to be coping without insulin.

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting that after 10 months your doing well without the insulin given your antibody result was positive. Im 3 months into the honeymoon period with negative antibodies but my blood sugar spikes to 9 1 hour after meals. Does your blood sugar spike the same or have you reverted to a low carb diet?

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told to come off the insulin until my body required injections but ive noticed that at meals my bs spikes to around 9. So for the last few weeks ive been using novorapid to help prevent a spike. Anyone else carried on using insulin during the honeymoon period?
I am in a similar situation like you but I was told the opposite: to inject insulin in order to extend the honeymoon period. Recently I had to cut down the basal Levemir to just 2 units per day and NovoRapid to just one unit before meals as I have been eating low carb. If I was you, I would try to carefully reintroduce NovoRapid, starting with just one unit and see what happens.

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @cz_dave, i have been on novorapid for the last few weeks. Ive worked out my insulin to carb ratio is 1 unit per 20g of carb. Its strange bexause my non fasting blood sugar is always around 4.6 but my body cant cope with any meals without a spike of 4mmol minimum. They have taken my insulin off my acute medication so i will need to make an appointment with the consultant to get it reassigned

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What you describe sounds like a typical late onset (LADA) Type 1 condition. Here is a pretty good description by @smidge:

Re: Help! Potential LADA, struggling to get a clear diagnosi

There are a few lesser-known indicators of LADA; firstly, most LADAs do not have the other metabolic conditions that are indicative of Type 2 (high blood pressure and high cholestorol). So, if you are slim, no history of diabetes in the family, white and under 45 (or Asian under 25) and you lack the other metabolic conditions, you are probably LADA. Secondly, LADA in its early stages is characterised by pretty good fasting levels (because your basal insulin is usually still working), but shocking spikes after meals (because the first phase insulin is missing). So, even very small amounts of carb make most of us LADAs spike into double figures. For example, a Rich Tea biscuit will take me from 5 ish to 10ish - and don't even get me started on a slice of toast :lol:

Smidge

There is quite a few people on this forum that have similar symptoms like the ones described. Some stick to a low-carb high-fat diet (LCHF), some don't but I believe the general consensus is to limit those spikes over 8 or ideally even 7.

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow @cz_dave, thanks for your post. Looks like i am lada after all your post mirrors my current scenario. Any idea on the cause of lada?

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@cz_dave i see that people with lada test posive for gada antibodies but mine came back negative?
So, I myself tested positive. However, I also read that it could be that some people do not test positive but still fall more under the category of Type 1 than Type 2 (e.g. by their symptoms). I think the first test is whether you have diabetes (e.g. mine was done with OGTT). And then what type. In any case, you should try to avoid those spikes and it may be impossible without either injecting insulin and/or avoiding carb-loaded meals.