For those on a honeymoon period...

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just out of interest what does your blood sugar rise to say 1 hour after a meal?

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@dyly1 without insulin? Doesnt really matter what meal was eaten just after a rough average?

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mrspuddleduck i read that our blood sugar spikrs between 30-60 min after a meal so i was intrigued about what my blood sugar shot up to. Just wondered if a figure of 9-9.5 was normal for those on a honeymoon

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Test before and then 2 hours later. It is wise to aim for as small a rise as possible at 2 hours after eating. Most definitely under 2mmol/ , better under 1.5mmol/ , and ideally less than that.

The time our BS reaches its peak depends entirely on what was eaten and the combination of foods eaten.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was at 6 before breakfast, 65 carbs and a 1/18 ratio and I inject around 15 mins before eating. Around 30 mins after eating I'm 8.1.

I've seen them spike up a tad higher before depending on what kind of food I have. When I'm having a more fast releasing food I'll inject about 15 mins before eating so that the insulin is working when I intake food.

But overall check around 2 hours after eating, if they're not within target then you've got to make some adjustments.

dylt1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@dyly1 without insulin? Doesnt really matter what meal was eaten just after a rough average?
I don't usually eat without insulin, but if I do I do go quite high unless I've done exercise or been drinking alcohol the night before. Half an hour ago I took 4 units of novorapid for 60g of rice carbs with chili con carne, I will test at an hour for you and let you know. I was 5.1 before injecting.

dylt1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't usually eat without insulin, but if I do I do go quite high unless I've done exercise or been drinking alcohol the night before. Half an hour ago I took 4 units of novorapid for 60g of rice carbs with chili con carne, I will test at an hour for you and let you know. I was 5.1 before injecting.

@jamesfitz 4.1 after 1 hour of eating.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
James, I think you may be a bit confused, but that's okay as we're all here to learn. It also doesn't help that this is a very complicated disease.

In regards to your question, there's no such thing as a "rough average." There are foods that do affect your blood sugar (carbs and especially sugar) and there are foods that (generally) do not affect your blood sugar (fat and protein).

Like you, I'm in the honeymoon phase. However, that makes little difference in terms of my blood sugar after a meal. It simply means that my body still produces some insulin.

A few examples:
1.) If I ate a big bag of candy that would obviously cause my blood sugar to skyrocket. It would also likely rise within 15-20 minutes.
2.) If I ate some whole wheat toast, my blood sugar might rise, but it would rise much slower.

Stop for a side note: learning more about the Glycemic index will help you understand which carbs are absorbed rapidly and which are absorbed slower. As a diabetic, you generally want slower absorbtion unless you're trying to correct a hypo (low blood sugar reading)

3.) If I ate a piece of chicken breast (with no carbs), my blood sugar shouldn't rise at all. The same is true for fats (nuts, cheese, etc) assuming they're void of carbohydrates.
4.) I could technically eat that big bag of candy in the first example and avoid a sharp increase in my glucose levels IF I perfectly accounted for the sugar with the correct dose of insulin (although that would be very difficult to do).

Long story short: as a type 1 diabetic, it is incredibly important to know how many carbs you are eating at each meal and what kind of carbs you're eating. Eventually, you'll learn what your "Carb Ratio" is which will allow you to calculate how much insulin you need at specific meals in order to avoid glucose spikes.