Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Having been a type 1 for over 3 years now i've struggled constantly with the demands of 'remembering to do this' 'what will happen if I don't do that' as well as the future of living with type 1 and what this may bring. What i've not done very well is just living in the present. I have been anxious, stressed, shouted alot at my nearest and dearest and not coped very well at times, some of these things I think resonate very well with all of you, On top of this I have to work, be a mum, run a home and do all the stuff required to function as a normal family.

I know alot of these posts connect with how we feel mentally and to me that seems to be the big part of type 1 - we have the medicine and tools to handle the illness, however we don't have the mindset to cope mentally and so it seems some of us will avoid our insulin, not test and rebel, some of the posts i've responded to recently demonstrate this very well.

What if.. we all were able to cope better mentally, wouldn't that then solve some of these issues, I know it won't for everyone but it requires an open mind and a willingness to try anything. I learn't meditation a few years ago it taught me to live in the present, to do one thing at a time, to stop worrying about the future and manage my illness better, this is a free course, so no cash involved but the opportunity to start to relax more and take one thing at a time, in the course there are short meditations which may/may not help depending on your willingness but it's worth a shot if you want to cope better: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/mindfulness-wellbeing-performance/1/todo/2486

I think if you've got nothing to lose in the first place and need support then try this and see how you get on ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 14 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Juicyj, I enjoyed reading your post very much and found it very interesting, thank you.
I'm not newly diagnosed and always been a 'get on with it' person in whatever life and diabetes throws at me, but last week ending up in hospital, it shook me so much and I am finding it hard to cope with at times. My appointment with my DSN on Wednesday went well and she said not to be so hard on myself, and I am doing well, but it is so hard.
I will look at the link and try it out, take care.
Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 8 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's an interesting observation @Juicyj. My partner often accuses me of spending too much time living in the now and not thinking about the future.

My response has always been that I know I'm not immortal and that the now may be all I have, so why not make the most of it rather than save up "time" to do stuff when I'm older. When that "time" arrives, it may be much harder for me to do the things I want to do, which I can still do now.

Reactions: 9 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Juicyj, I enjoyed reading your post very much and found it very interesting, thank you.
I'm not newly diagnosed and always been a 'get on with it' person in whatever life and diabetes throws at me, but last week ending up in hospital, it shook me so much and I am finding it hard to cope with at times. My appointment with my DSN on Wednesday went well and she said not to be so hard on myself, and I am doing well, but it is so hard.
I will look at the link and try it out, take care.
Best wishes RRB

Sorry to hear this Robin, I didn't know so sending you a very big hug and hope you're feeling better now, I really enjoy your posts, you always come across as so positive so hope this experience hasn't dented that, I am doing the course at the moment and it's taught me a few things which I hope to practice better, but felt anyone living with a chronic illness like us would benefit, as long as the mind is open then the body is willing I reckon ! Take care lovely ;)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
+1 for meditation and mindfulness whether as Type 1, Type 2* or just as a human being.
*Not forgetting all the other Types, sorry.

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
This course is applicable to anyone, but as I'm type 1 and tend to post on type 1 forums felt it would be worth sharing.

I think the course would benefit anyone who's suffering burnout, stress and anxiety. The whole idea is to look at daily life and work on strategies to cope better, I hope it's useful to anyone and everyone who reads this ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I shall most certainly take a look, thank you @Juicyj . I'm 6 months post diagnosis and I'm really struggling with coming to terms with being type1 'for the rest of my life'.
I know I need to take it one day at a time but I'm just not in a good place at the moment, and it all feels rather bleak. I feel like I'm grieving which all sounds very dramatic but I do want to do something about it, I don't want to feel this way.
So thanks, I was browsing the forum looking to see if anyone had experience of counselling and if it helped but I shall take a look at your link.

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Claire,

it is hard, I was there myself 3 years ago, my diagnosis was so sudden then I was launched into this blood testing and constant injecting, I struggled massively, I think as an insulin dependent diabetic it is particularly hard to come to terms as it consumes your life and sadly there are very few around you who can really understand, particularly when you have a family to look after and suddenly you have to re-prioritise your life and put yourself first. Well on the positive side you are old enough to get on with it and young enough to have the drive and motivation to look after yourself.

The course will help it gives you focus and helps you manage the day to day care, rather than thinking this is it for life. Also don't feel alone there are lots of folk on here you can talk to, me included now :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Annie_wannie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I have had type 1 for 46 years I have realized over the years you get good and bad days it's learning when you have a bad day to say yes dealt with it now move on I think as I have in the past felt anger about having it and why me syndrome! but have said no I not going to let it run my life. I haven't achieved anything great in my life apart from having 2 wonderful children but have learned that you have to be aware of how many things can effect your blood sugars I.e anxiety, stress etc and be extra vigilant with blood sugars , I have still to meet the perfect diabetic ! keep strong and look after yourself

Reactions: 7 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi
I have had type 1 for 46 years I have realized over the years you get good and bad days it's learning when you have a bad day to say yes dealt with it now move on I think as I have in the past felt anger about having it and why me syndrome! but have said no I not going to let it run my life. I haven't achieved anything great in my life apart from having 2 wonderful children but have learned that you have to be aware of how many things can effect your blood sugars I.e anxiety, stress etc and be extra vigilant with blood sugars , I have still to meet the perfect diabetic ! keep strong and look after yourself
your greatest achievement is you -the ultimate example of the perfect diabetic -- you don't let it own or run you
well done to you Annie.:)
got 43 years D here and have never been more positive as I am now -- curse the bad things when they happen but try to be positive about all the good things in life !!