OmniPods on a plane

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Medtronic Veo is out of warranty and I've decided to switch to OmniPod, hopefully within the next month.

Just wondering about flying with the 'pod. Witht the Veo I was told to switch off the wireless connection to my linked meter and remote during flights. Would I have to switch off the PDM and bolus with a pen while flying? Or is it OK because only my specific 'pod would respond to the PDM?

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the link Noblehead, I hadn't spotted that. Will print it & put with my passport.

Sorry didn't reply sooner - elderly parents both been ill, on wards at opposite ends of the hospital.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
just started on a omnipod a week ago :)

My DSN said that in some countries ( mainly the middle east and USA they might make you remove your pod off to go through security :eek: ) so you will need to do a pod change if they do

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The title of othis post just makes me think of "Get those M********* Omnipods off my m*********** plane".... :D

Reactions: 6 people

Alzibiff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I went to Iceland with EasyJet earlier this year - my first flight with my Omnipod. I got a spare PDA from the Ypsomed office in North Yorkshire just in case - no charge and the package included a return post box.
No worries at check-in, security or anywhere else and although I had a letter from my clinic saying what it was all about, nobody asked to see it.
Must say, I explained that I was wearing an insulin pump to almost every member of the security team at Manchester airport I think as I was a little bit concerned. Doing the same trip early next year via Iceland air and expect everything to go just as smoothly.

Alan

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
just started on a omnipod a week ago :)

My DSN said that in some countries ( mainly the middle east and USA they might make you remove your pod off to go through security :eek: ) so you will need to do a pod change if they do

Really? What a waste!

How are you getting on with the Omnipod? I'm getting mine on Monday :)

Reactions: 2 people

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm really sorry to hear that Sue.

Thanks, things were a bit stressful for a while, but both home now and seem to be doing OK, touch wood. Hope that continues while I get going with the omnipod. Can't complain given all the stress my health caused them when I was a kid, payback time now!

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Really? What a waste!

How are you getting on with the Omnipod? I'm getting mine on Monday :)
things are settling down some with the omnipod but have still not managed to crack the dawn phenomemon.
last night though was absolutely excellent.

here are my all bloods yesterday - 6.1 , 4.1 , 6.1 , 13.9 ( under calculated carbs in a meal out ) 8.5 , 4.5 , 4.3 ,4.2 , 4.1 , 4.4 , 3.7 , 4.9 , 5.2

the 4.5 was at 6:15 pre evening meal - had 80 grams dry pasta( 58 cho) - total carbs for meal was 68 so i was impressed at how flat my BG's stayed , and only treated the 3.7 with 5 carbs of sweets

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks, things were a bit stressful for a while, but both home now and seem to be doing OK, touch wood. Hope that continues while I get going with the omnipod. Can't complain given all the stress my health caused them when I was a kid, payback time now!

So pleased they are back home and doing well Sue :)