Type 2 Life

sarahlou72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do I have to do to get morning reads like these? My lowest since I got my meter a couple of weeks ago is 8.8 :(

Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@sarahlou72 try to not be too concerned with your fasting BS as they are usually the last to come down. The most important readings are 2 hrs post meal.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What do I have to do to get morning reads like these? My lowest since I got my meter a couple of weeks ago is 8.8 :(

Changing to a low-carb diet helps enormously, then it's just patience and not letting this disease get you down. Good luck and keep posting!

Reactions: 2 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.5 this morning and the scales are still dropping :happy: My vertigo this week seems to be a virus or something as lots of kids have been sent home from school with similar symptoms. How's everyone else doing??

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Morning Folks

Slightly frustrating last few days. After a 6.7 fasting reading 3 days ago they went 5.7, then 5.3 yesterday, which is where I have come to expect them.

But this morning its 6.8 and I have no explanation - Ok, I had a bit of a lie in today after two fairly early (by my standards..) starts on Thursday and Friday, and I may be struggling with a bit of a cold coming on which may account for it.

Don't want to see my levels rising though as I have an Hba1C thingy scheduled for Tuesday....

SarahLou72 - I just had a look back to when I was first diagnosed and it took me about 12 days of LCHF to see my first fasting readings below 9, and I didn't see one below 6 for about 6 weeks. Even that was a one-off and it was probably the best part of a year before I achieved fasting readings usually below 6.

As others have said, it is a long, slow process but worth persevering with.

I found it useful to record all my results on a spreadsheet and look at them graphically, both all results and just fasting results and just to see the trend. If it's coming down even a little bit you can see you are achieving something.

HTH.

Mybesteffort

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't report yet on my levels. Am working on my rent and not my test strips. I do not have coverage for test strips in Canada since I am not on insulin. No worries I will beg from my kids once I swallow that shame.

I will definitely put forth a 15 dollars an hour ask at my job....medical coverage at work...that is long gone

Apologies for my frustrated rant on your thread. Best wishes for good health.

Last edited by a moderator:

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
4.2 this morning after 8.5 at bedtime. My levels have got a mind of there own:rolleyes:, its driving me crazy cause I don't know what I am doing with my insulin.:rolleyes:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
4.2 this morning after 8.5 at bedtime. My levels have got a mind of there own:rolleyes:, its driving me crazy cause I don't know what I am doing with my insulin.:rolleyes:
I had that trouble when I started on humulin3. I've learned to get the best out of it. Not the best insulin to give best results.
Yours will be trial and error until you get it's performance too. Best advice is run a little high rather than near lows. Perfect little by little. Take all the time you need. It's no race! Goodluck.

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Hi Folks

Level this morning was 5.3, back to where I have come to expect it.

Hba1c results have come back from last weeks blood test at 34, which, if I have read it right, converts to a free glucose level of 5.3 too. This is the lowest I have seen, so all is good. :)

Except I also apparently have a low blood count and need to make a "non-urgent" Doctors appointment :mad:

Reactions: 13 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks

Level this morning was 5.3, back to where I have come to expect it.

Hba1c results have come back from last weeks blood test at 34, which, if I have read it right, converts to a free glucose level of 5.3 too. This is the lowest I have seen, so all is good. :)

Except I also apparently have a low blood count and need to make a "non-urgent" Doctors appointment :mad:

Well done. So a few 6's in the fasting readings haven't hindered your good progress.

Reactions: 6 people

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Well done. So a few 6's in the fasting readings haven't hindered your good progress.
Thanks for the support and the kind words guys, and it seems you can have the odd deviation and still be more or less on track.

I have also taken to graphing the average of my last 16 days readings - just to try and smooth out the noise caused by the inherent inaccuracy of my meter. It is clear from that that while on holiday I was doing something much better than I am now - probably the daily swims I guess.....

Or it could have been the increased alcohol intake??

It could also be something to do with the supplements I have been trying though.

My biggest problem (or at least the biggest problem I feel able to talk about...) is peripheral neuropathy in my hands, and particularly, my feet.

Elsewhere on here - within the complications bit - I came across references to alpha lipoic acid and various vitamin B supplements helping with neuropathy, and in fact going some way to explain why I might be type 2, despite not fitting the profile.

It seems an inability to properly metabolise vitamin B12 (and / or B1) can lead to insulin resistance, and consequently, type 2.

So I have been trying a few things and certainly, alpha Lipoic acid, benfotiamine and methyl cobolamine seemed to help with both my FBG levels and to reverse the neuropathy. Been off the ALA for a few weeks and I think it is going the wrong way, so I intend to revert to that regime as soon as the pills arrive....

Heh Ho, tomorrows another day...

Reactions: 7 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My BGs vary every morning but my diet does too.
Unless I eat the same thing everyday I cannot get the similar readings.
I've decided to increase my evening meal insulin to help with raising fasting levels.
At my next dn appointment at hospital I will be asking for insulin to be changed. Mixed one isnt helping my weight control due to too much insulin at the wrong times.
Anyone else found humulim 3 restrictive?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
10 I'm not happy. All I can think it can be is I'd reduced my insulin too much.
Are liver dumps random?

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
5.6 this morning not I had a warm cookie that the Girls at Girl's Brigade had made last night.
The hospital was OK am off big antibiotics just back to my preventative ones. My seretide inhaler has been split into its two parts and the steroids are coming back towards my maintaince does. Going back in a month for lung function, allergy tests and CT scan

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.8 this morning, but it was after opening my birthday cards and checking FB messages :) Can your BG rise from excitement? :D Going to a nice restaurant tonight, but instead of cake I will have cheese for dessert (the place apparently has a cheese cave!)

Reactions: 10 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.8 this morning, but it was after opening my birthday cards and checking FB messages :) Can your BG rise from excitement? :D Going to a nice restaurant tonight, but instead of cake I will have cheese for dessert (the place apparently has a cheese cave!)

Happy Birthday. Have a lovely day.
I'm sure blood sugars are affected by mood. Mind go high when stressed but probably the same when excited,.