Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi All

I am confused in the past week, been coping really well with keeping spikes to a minimum until this past week
I suffer from DP which i control by taking 3 units upon waking.
At lunchtime yesterday my BS was 6.1 at 13.30, I took 2 units novarapid to cover my 50g carb lunch, a ratio which seems to work. I then waited 30 minutes before eating and ate at 14.00. 1 hour 30 minutes later my BS was at 12.6. By 18.00 when I was due to have dinner I was back down to 5.8, that to me seems to suggest my ratio is correct because I am back where i started after 5 hours. Obviously a spike of 6 mmol is not good or sustainable for too long. The above is what happened yesterday, similar things have been happening for a week now
Any advice or ideas please?? All input greatly welcome

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I have been rotating around my stomach quite a bit recently. Although that spike today was taking it in my arm as yesterdays lunch gave a big spike too

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What did you have for lunch? Some foods will give you spikes although 30 mins gap should help

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Had a crustless quiche, packet monster munch and an apple!! Feel that novarapid isn't working at all quickly!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The apple and monster munch are killers for spikes.... They get absorbed really quickly. Especially the monster munch.... To stop it spiking I need to inject 45-60 mins beforehand!

The other thing that may be different is the amount of subcutaneous fat on the arms vs the stomach. If there is even only slightly more, it will slow down your absorption.

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I cant advice on monster munch but maybe its one of your forbidden foods. I have it with bread, no matter what it always spikes me

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you're honeymoon be fading? As I recall u were diagnosed a couple of months after me and I've just been through the same thing. Timings were not working at all etc.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Yeah I think I killed the honeymoon off on holiday!! Back to the drawing board with ratios etc I think!!!