What LC foods do you prefer to non-LC versions

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being honest, there is nothing like a freshly baked baguette or a croissant fresh from the oven,

BUT
LC has taught me (and my palette) some wonderful things.

I prefer LC caulicheese to a pile of mashed potato any day.
I prefer my posh butchers or Black Farmers sausages to bog standard ones
How did I ever eat that vile sickly Dairy Milk? 70% is just... the business (had Galaxy 2 days ago, and thought it was revolting)
I now enjoy the fresh, crisp, cool, mayo laden goodness of a salad, whereas I used to eat them under duress
My favourite veg is green beans, with sugarsnaps a close second. the taste texture combo is divine.
and cheese... my goodness... the scales have fallen from my eyes. There is not a bad cheese in existence, except the low fat ones. Although there are some that are best taken in small portions. Occasionally.

Wot about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Courgettes instead of pasta.
Cauliflower as substitute for rice.
Full fat yogurt with berries for breakfast, instead of porridge.
Kale crisps rather than potato crisps
Nuts for a snack.
Cheeese wonderful cheeeeeeese! The real stuff, not the recommended low fat cottage cheese.
Best of all, butter, not synthetic margarine!

Reactions: 4 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Butter...that I had always avoided and hated instead of low fat spreads
Courgettes instead of chips
Cream instead of low fat yogurts
Cravendale milk instead of that obnoxious skimmed stuff
Bacon instead of processed ham
Homemade curry instead of carb loaded take away from the local Indian
Full fat mayo piled all over my spinach and tomatoes instead of all over a calorie/carb laden sandwich
Fresh cream and raspberries whipped in to a faux ice cream instead of Ben and Jerrys double choc fudge brownie.....Okay so I lied about that one ;)

Reactions: 7 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've always liked decent sausages, but gone off the saturated fats now. So a lot more fish, except when the sausage creep back in. (Had a superb chorizo at lunch)
Salads, but normally no dressings, although maybe a vinaigrette with a decent oil.
French beans, sugar snaps, broccoli, any veg now makes an appearance.
Always like cheese, but in fact now cut down on the amount! Although cottage cheese is still good.
Kale is good in any form.
If I use anything, butter rather than marg, but I never had much of either before.
Rarely touch cream, skimmed milk in coffee.

Actually, really just eating unprocessed foods, fresh foods, low carb, and always watching the calories.
Fat from fish, olive oil.
More salt than before. (Really good, dried sunflower seeds, all the oil has gone, but covered in salt)

So, on reflection, maybe not a low carb version of previous foods, just a complete change in foods.

Reactions: 2 people

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being honest, there is nothing like a freshly baked baguette or a croissant fresh from the oven,

Delicious crusty bread is one thing that I do miss, having got used to rice and pasta alternatives, nothing can replace crusty fresh bread. We're on holiday in Cornwall this week and we bought some dressed crab. Had it this evening on some Sukrin bread (bought especially for the holiday) which was very nice but I also had a slice of my husband's crusty white bread (as I was having some wine so knew it would bring my levels down - a nice 5.3 at 1 hour and 2 hours!) It was delicious smothered in butter and piled with dressed crab. I'm drooling again now!

How did I ever eat that vile sickly Dairy Milk? 70% is just... the business (had Galaxy 2 days ago, and thought it was revolting)

I completely agree with you. I had a small bite of dairy milk the other day and it was revolting, so sugary and sickly. I used to think it was so nice. I love 70% dark chocolate now and wouldn't ever go back to milk choc, even if my blood glucose would allow it. My husband bought me a box of Hotel Chocolat Less Sweet chocs to bring away on hols. God, they're good and only 30g carbs per 100g.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
What a great thread idea!

Clotted cream instead of milk.

I seriously adore clotted cream these days. So much pleasure and satisfaction for so few carbs and calories (when eaten in small amounts).

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Brunneria Delicious crusty bread is one thing that I do miss, having got used to rice and pasta alternatives, nothing can replace crusty fresh bread. We're on holiday in Cornwall this week and we bought some dressed crab. Had it this evening on some Sukrin bread (bought especially for the holiday) which was very nice but I also had a slice of my husband's crusty white bread (as I was having some wine so knew it would bring my levels down - a nice 5.3 at 1 hour and 2 hours!) It was delicious smothered in butter and piled with dressed crab. I'm drooling again now!

I completely agree with you, I had a small bite of dairy milk the other day and it was revolting, so sugary and sickly. I used to think it was so nice. I love 70% dark chocolate now and wouldn't ever go back to milk choc, even if my blood glucose would allow it. My husband bought me a box of Hotel Chocolat Less Sweet chocs to bring away on hols. God, they're good and only 30g carbs per 100g.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss eating fruit and I used to eat lots of all sorts. I thought it was healthy. Son & DIL have recently been to Devon on holiday and my present from them on return was a Dorling Kindersley cook book for diabetics, there's not much in there that I would eat. They were going to bring me some Devon clotted cream but thought I wouldn't be able to eat it. **** **** and **** again.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of the foods I enjoy now are the foods I've always eaten - cheese, butter, full fat Greek yoghurt, cream, veggies, avocados and olives, meat, fish, etc. But things I really truly enjoy most are:
  • not being made to feel guilty about eating real butter and full fat everything,
  • knowing it IS actually OK to use plenty of salt,
  • insisting on a much wider variety of vegetables,
  • being able to refuse to eat many processed foods and sauces that had crept into our diet,
  • but most of all being able to insist I have various foods that I enjoy - "because I need to eat them on my low carb diet :D" !!
I do regret no longer being able to eat, for example, some of the lovely speciality breads, almond croissants, baklava, crystallised fruit, decent jams, local honey, many fruits... but apart from cutting drastically down on carbs, the rest of my dietary essentials are still very similar to my pre diabetic ones - for which I'm truly thankful!

Robbity

Reactions: 6 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I just love how what was unhealthy is now healthy! Grilled meat becomes meat fried in lashings of butter and pork scratchings are now a healthy snack.
Yum

Reactions: 8 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am really enjoying LCHF. I have always been a bit of a carnivore anyway and if you are what you eat, I used to be a bacon and fried egg roll! Just ditched the roll!!!
I too miss bread, especially artisan french bread and soft morning rolls.But ... Lidl high protein rolls, phoopsie bread, and swedish low carb breakfast rolls save the day.The last two from recipes on this forum.Incidentally the breakfast rolls with sweetener instead of salt,and served with clotted cream and low sugar jam ( St Dalfour) are FANTASTIC.
I am back in the kitchen making things from scratch,a habit I had got out of so that's good.I think diet can get in a rut, so am treating my new regime as a chance to try new things.

Current favourites :

Walnuts ..bags and bags of walnuts
Salads with stacks of mayo and home made vinaigrette ( a revelation).
Pate's including fish pate's by the tablespoon guilt free.
All sorts of meats with creamy sauces.
Hungarian Goulash with creme fraiche ( can't recommend this highly enough).
Other stews and home made soups. Am now an expert stock maker.
Cheese, I have my own dedicated cheese stash in da fridge.Bien sur!!
Coffee with cream or unsweetened soya yum!
Home made ice cream....if there is any left.
80% chocolate,occasionally.

And the look on people's face when I explain the LCHF approach as the reason I have lost weight and am looking better for it.Quite amusing, unless it is one of my HCP's then just irritating.

Sorry to go on at length ( a habit of mine ) but a great thread!

Cheese mmmm.....did I mention cheese.....................

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter

BUT
LC has taught me (and my palette) some wonderful things.

I prefer LC caulicheese to a pile of mashed potato any day.
I prefer my posh butchers or Black Farmers sausages to bog standard ones
I now enjoy the fresh, crisp, cool, mayo laden goodness of a salad, whereas I used to eat them under duress
My favourite veg is green beans, with sugarsnaps a close second. the taste texture combo is divine.
and cheese... my goodness... the scales have fallen from my eyes. There is not a bad cheese in existence, except the low fat ones. Although there are some that are best taken in small portions. Occasionally.

Wot about you?
I love my coffee with cream and feeling free to eat cheese and butter...but I just can't get into dark chocolate,some days I would kill for a huge block of dairy milk so I have some berries and cream instead but still crave chocolate...and just like an addict if I give in I end up on a binge (not good:()

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great thread idea !

I prefer hazelnut drink to whole milk in cocoa now - like drinking melted Quality Street purple humps albeit not as sweet. Thanks to the Dukan Diet book, we have experimented with flourless sauces quite a bit. I found an ace low carb fried chicken recipe which is easily as good as KFC. I think the probability is that husband et moi would have gotten into organic food regardless of diabetes though.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Affer 50+ years thinking I hated oily fish,avocado and olives...I now absolutely love them....
5/7 days with my main meals....always fish-2days oily..

Honestly I love the advice from this forum to try them and within 6 months I absolutely love them.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Juicy chicken thighs with the yummy fatty skin vs. dry, skinless breastmeat

Ribeye steak with the softest fatty surprise in the centre

Green leaf salad with sliced avocado, boiled egg, prosciutto and blue cheese crumbled on top

Rich Greek yogurt by the spoonful

Extra thick cream ditto! :)

What I've recently remembered is the taste of a freshly toasted onion bagel with cream cheese shmear on top - well, at least I can eat the cream cheese/butter mixture on its own, covered with coarse ground black pepper, but I have no idea what would make a good substitute for the bagel. Ah, well, can't have everything!

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You know what i wish? I wish i could have LC cinnamon rolls.

I adore them, and there is a great looking recipe out there.
http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/07/almond-flour-cinnamon-rolls-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html
But i know i am never going to be phaffed enough to make it...

Might give these a go at some point - will report back when I do. I wouldn't mind finding a good (or even half decent!) low carb yeast bread recipe so I could have ensaimadas (spanish breakfast rolls) with my coffee once in a while.

Oh well! On the whole I'd say the positives of the diet outweigh any negatives.

I'd forgotten about the full fat mayo too :) How they can get away with calling the low fat stuff mayo is scandalous!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Can you get a high carb salmon n salad... That is my favourite LC. Nothing beats it ..the oil drssing still too be poured on it....kust wish pubs snd hospitals could provide it!!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1444613009.171458.jpg